minmax89

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself as I've been reading this Forum for months now....

I'm a small builder here in Ireland and I was running around in a very reliable Trafic for years. It was solid and never had any grief with it at all, but it was a short wheelbase and the common 8 x 4 sheet goods are a challenge! So I've needed a LWB for ages. I've also wanted a Transporter for years. Out of all the vans it has always been my favourite. Had a couple of VW's too and always liked the build quality.

We have a Golf GTI with DSG and that gearbox is a life changer! When I found out you could get a T6 with a DSG box, well........

I worked and saved, and worked, and saved, and............ finally at christmas 2018 I bought myself a big present.

Trying to find a DSG highline here in Ireland was imposible. So I ended up getting mine from Bognor Motors and imported it to Ireland.

I've go to say, its been amazing! I bloody LOVE this van.

Thanks!
Adam

And welcome to team white @minmax89.
Glad to hear that Oli @BognorMotors sorted you out.

Thanks mate. I actually dealt with Simon there. But all a top bunch and were very accommodating. Jeez, they had some lovely vans there but it was this Oryx White that I fell for. Beautiful paint colour. Nearly came out with a B14 coilovers set too!

Thanks mate. I actually dealt with Simon there. But all a top bunch and were very accommodating. Jeez, they had some lovely vans there but it was this Oryx White that I fell for. Beautiful paint colour. Nearly came out with a B14 coilovers set too!
Don’t worry, i’m sure you can nip back and @BognorMotors can pop a set on, along with a set of H&R ARBs, and if you ask really nice a Revo remap :whistle:

Ha! Would LOVE to. But living in Ireland, it’s not so easy...
Anyways, I purchased a Bistein So Low coilover kit. Just had it fitted. With a set of Banded steels.

The ride on these coilovers are unreal!

Cheers
Adam

Adam
In what way do you like the coil overs

Cheers
Andy

Adam
In what way do you like the coil overs
Cheers
Andy

To put it in context....
I had the original suspension on 16" alloys (cant remember the tyre size) and although it was very comfy in a straight line, the first roundabout I went round I was quite surprised just how much body roll their was.

Options:
lowering springs - not tried them but heard/read, its harsh, worse if you're running large rims, etc. so no.

cheap coilovers - I wont go into makes but you can pay as little as around 350 for a cheap set. Not read great things about them to be honest.

Bilstein B14 kit - read plenty of detailed, super positive reviews on the handling improvement, etc. but also read there is a difference in the ride whether you have it on highest setting or the lowest setting (70mm approx).

I knew what wheels i was getting and looking at tons of pics I knew I was going to prefer the look of it lowered closer to the 70mm , rather than the 40mm.

So I went for the So Low kit cos I could have it on its highest setting (80mm) and get the full travel of the shocks. I think this is the important thing. I didnt want to spend a grand on B14's and have it set that they can't use their full travel. The So Low is essentially the same coilover I think, just with a different bracket position.

I was prepared for a compromise. I've had heavily modified motors before. They look cool but the ride is harsh as hell. And when reading of peoples experiences, there was lots of 'comfort or handling, you can't have both' opinions.

BUT, its like proper comfy! It just feels......like the suspension is working so much better. The handling is on another level when going round bends. Now, I do have wider tyres than before, which helps i think.

Negatives?
Motorway road noise is slightly more but that's cos of the wheels/tyres really.
This is not a negative but - It's low. I measured it yesterday and centre of hub to top wheel arch was 340mm. It was around 450 before. But my mechanic who fitted them insists they're on the highest setting... So You just have to be mindfull compared to before. I mean, it's no lower than the golf GTI we have and we get around fine in that.

ANyway, I think EVERYONE should get them. Christ, I'd give demo's if I could.

Oh, and I think the 17" wheels help. With 55 profile tyres.

Cheers
Adam

Looks a nice setup you’ve got there!

To put it in context....
I had the original suspension on 16" alloys (cant remember the tyre size) and although it was very comfy in a straight line, the first roundabout I went round I was quite surprised just how much body roll their was.

Options:
lowering springs - not tried them but heard/read, its harsh, worse if you're running large rims, etc. so no.

cheap coilovers - I wont go into makes but you can pay as little as around 350 for a cheap set. Not read great things about them to be honest.

Bilstein B14 kit - read plenty of detailed, super positive reviews on the handling improvement, etc. but also read there is a difference in the ride whether you have it on highest setting or the lowest setting (70mm approx).

I knew what wheels i was getting and looking at tons of pics I knew I was going to prefer the look of it lowered closer to the 70mm , rather than the 40mm.

So I went for the So Low kit cos I could have it on its highest setting (80mm) and get the full travel of the shocks. I think this is the important thing. I didnt want to spend a grand on B14's and have it set that they can't use their full travel. The So Low is essentially the same coilover I think, just with a different bracket position.

I was prepared for a compromise. I've had heavily modified motors before. They look cool but the ride is harsh as hell. And when reading of peoples experiences, there was lots of 'comfort or handling, you can't have both' opinions.

BUT, its like proper comfy! It just feels......like the suspension is working so much better. The handling is on another level when going round bends. Now, I do have wider tyres than before, which helps i think.

Negatives?
Motorway road noise is slightly more but that's cos of the wheels/tyres really.
This is not a negative but - It's low. I measured it yesterday and centre of hub to top wheel arch was 340mm. It was around 450 before. But my mechanic who fitted them insists they're on the highest setting... So You just have to be mindfull compared to before. I mean, it's no lower than the golf GTI we have and we get around fine in that.

ANyway, I think EVERYONE should get them. Christ, I'd give demo's if I could.

Oh, and I think the 17" wheels help. With 55 profile tyres.

Cheers
Adam

Nice write up pal

Will have to look into those

Andy

I love that colour and almost went with it but went Bayleaf Green instead. Have you done anything else to the van?

Back