Heaters........... can’t I just use the stove?

Still not sure! Pretty certain its the standard 2kW version; It has the Control with timers but not the phone connection.
Probably a 'Webasto Thermo Top Evo' - sounds the same as mine. Does the hot water as well as the heating and also air circulation (not zircon however). You can bolt on the phone control apparently - for around £400!

One heck of a difference between a standard 2Kw Air Top and a Thermo Top Evo depending upon model - 4 or 5Kw.

Reactions: CAB
It'll just be the 2kw Air top on mine, just heat, not water :thumbsup:

It'll just be the 2kw Air top on mine, just heat, not water :thumbsup:
That's what I'll be adding. Currently camped up at Walna Scar, for some biking when the weather clears tomorrow - it's chilly already and not even October. Must be an age thing.....

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
That's what I'll be adding. Currently camped up at Walna Scar, for some biking when the weather clears tomorrow - it's chilly already and not even October. Must be an age thing.....
Too right :eek:

Well, after research and quotes, I've ordered a 2KW Chinese heater, along with some better jubilee clips, fixings, a stainless bracket for under van mounting and a better fuel pick up/sender. Around £145 all in and I'll fit myself. If the heater packs up, the install is such that a 2KW Planar/Autoterm can easily replace it, with fuel lines, ducts etc staying where they are. Will report back, but CE certification etc aside, I reckon many of the problems people have with the Chinese heaters is bodged DIY installations in the van. We shall see.........

I wouldn't like to argue with an insurance company over the lack of certification if one ever goes belly up and your van receives damage from a Chinese one. I might well be biased after years of working with Webastos but the Chinese build quality is not a patch on the two offerings from Germany. Webastos and Eberspachers are still performing safely and satisfactorily after 30 years use - I doubt that you will see that longevity from a Chinese one.

Reactions: DXX
You could well be right - there must be a few reasons to justify the price difference. Certification is expensive to get, there's no doubt. I wouldn't be happy with any brand inside the vehicle......

An update, now it's fitted, which may be useful for anyone considering a Chinese heater. I've fitted a 2KW diesel heater, under the driver's seat on a stainless steel bracket. The heated air is ducted above the exhaust across to under the passenger seat. Fitting was reasonably straightforward, though I've replaced several of the original parts:
There wasn't enough ducting, as the heater is obviously sold to be mounted in the vehicle with no ducting on the air inlet. The air inlet end of the heater (fan end) is slightly larger diameter than the 60mm ducting available, so was a struggle to get on.
The exhaust supplied is not designed to be bent much, or cut. It cracked when I bent it and the internal diameter is only properly 24mm at the ends, so can't be fitted once cut (still on in pic below). Replaced with a metre of Webasto exhaust.
Replaced the main jubilee clips and P clamps.
Bought a proper fuel stand pipe to drill through fuel sender and routed fuel pipe above heat shield, through a length of water hose.
Wrapped the pump and filter in insulation to reduce noise.
Needed an air inlet for the driver's step, as not supplied.
I used a 64mm hole cutter for all cutting - driver's step, under passenger seat and through heat shields above exhaust. Heat wrapped exhaust where it was near the ducting and gorilla taped the edges of the holes cut through the heat shield, as they we are sharp in places.
I cut sections out of the under trays, rather than cutting holes, so they can be removed without removing ducting.
With the upgraded fuel supply, ducting and exhaust, I should be able to easily plug a new heater in, should this one fail.
Well worth upgrading parts and total cost, including holesaw, £212.
I got ducting, exhaust and some other bits from H Bowers online - good service, range and prices. Mounting plate was £22 off eBay.

It's easy to see where the Chinese heater I got (£102) falls down compared to Webasto/Eber etc, with the electrics not being in a sealed case and some roughness to the casting etc. It doesn't run just as a fan and the fuel pump can be heard through the base of the van. Setting timings, temps etc doesn't look easy, though I'll just fire it up to get up to heat then turn it down to 20deg C. It ticks along quite quietly then. Aside from the fuel pump, the noisiest bit is the air being drawn in through the driver's step. Not sure this will be quieter on the premium models?
IMG_20201005_114059.jpgIMG_20201005_113952.jpgIMG_20201005_114008.jpgIMG_20201005_114038.jpg

Last edited:
Back