Heaters........... can’t I just use the stove?

boxelder

T6 Guru
Night heaters - Eber, Planar, Webasto, Chinese etc........ they all burn burn a fuel to release heat. Is there not a way to harness the heat from a gas hob to warm the van? I realise it's not remotely, or thermostatically controlled, but heat output is all about energy released, so some sort of heat exchanger on a gas flame????

Take note of the products of combustion. Not just the fumes but mostly vapour. Which will condense on your cold surfaces and youll be surprised just how much in quite a short period. Then your not only cold but damp too.

Reactions: DXX
Yes, the condensate drains away from the unit onto the road and they just blow warm air into the van. Its also worth noting that using the gas cooker will fill the van with CO and CO2 and use up your o2, too. So high ventilation rates will be an absolute necessity. Which will consequently let all your heat out too.

You see all that water that drains out of exhaust pipes? Thats the products of combustion. Note your gas boiler at home will have a condensate pipe. Also not its plastic because the water will be acidic too. Copper pipes or steel will corrode from inside out.

Dont get me wrong, its okay for a few mins or so, but an extended period or overnight will prob see it raining inside.

So, diesel heaters produce hot air, but dispense with water vapour?
There is no connection to the heated air by the combustion process on a Webasto/Eberspacher, the heat exchanger is heated by the flame. No condensate is formed inside the heat exchanger, it is only when the combustion gases hit cooler surfaces such as the exhaust that it forms.
htr.PNG

Last edited:
Same principle with our Propex gas heater in the van - all combustion is effectively done outside the van, with a heat exchanger providing the hot air inside.

Pete

Hello all,
I'm currently in the process of purchasing a conversion. At this time I'm debating whether or not to add a diesel heater to the camper pre fit. Would someone be able to explain the benefits over just the regular electric heating if we don't tend to go "wild camping" we will mostly be using it with electric hook up.
Thanks

Hello all,
I'm currently in the process of purchasing a conversion. At this time I'm debating whether or not to add a diesel heater to the camper pre fit. Would someone be able to explain the benefits over just the regular electric heating if we don't tend to go "wild camping" we will mostly be using it with electric hook up.
Thanks
Probably no benefit if you are always on EHU, in fact you’d be wasting fuel as you as you are already paying for the EHU in the fee.
I’m the opposite, I rarely use campsites and have only used EHU about 10 times.
Can you always guarantee the EHU will work or guarantee getting to a campsite on a cold night, if so IMO stick with electric heating.

It’s the ”mostly” bit in your message above.

A small electric heater is all you need with EHU, but if you can’t get that, then you could be cold.
We don’t use our gas heater much, but when we do it’s invaluable.

Pete

It’s the ”mostly” bit in your message above.

A small electric heater is all you need with EHU, but if you can’t get that, then you could be cold.
We don’t use our gas heater much, but when we do it’s invaluable.

Pete
Very pleased with our Propex heater running off our underslung LPG tank. We went LPG heating as we found the diesel heater a bit smelly next to the exhaust and some of these fumes can get blown into vehicle. Use EHU on site with electric but not all sites have electric and very useful off grid.

Pete's got the right idea. Another thing to consider is that EHUs power supplies in Europe are sometimes a bit more limited than those here A small heater would generally be OK but you might have a problem if you put the kettle on as well!

Days out? Sitting in a clifftop car park, making a brew and a bacon sarnie on a crisp winter's day?

One of the best things in our van. Love it. And has a blown air mode for those really hot days (all two of them :laugh:)

Days out? Sitting in a clifftop car park, making a brew and a bacon sarnie on a crisp winter's day?

One of the best things in our van. Love it. And has a blown air mode for those really hot days (all two of them :laugh:)
Which heater do you have?

I've got a diesel Webasto. Normally, when I take my lad to his football match I'll pop the roof, unzip the sides and enjoy the game from the top bed. However, last Saturday morning it was a bit windy and cooler than it's been of late, so I popped the roof, put the heater on and watched the game through the window whilst enjoying a coffee. Toasty! And no need for EHU!

Back