Heater Blowing Hot until dial at coldest point then blows cold [Resolved]

Snakey732004

Hi, my 2016 VW transporter T6 seems to only blow cold air when the dial is set to the coldest setting. Soon as you move off the coldest setting it blows hot air. Anyone else seen this before and can help?

I've literally just had this repaired at VW under warranty for the exact same fault - it was a temperature sensor that was faulty
Have you got anymore info on this - ie was it the sensor that is built in to the unit, or elsewhere? Did they replace the climate unit with another one?

Have you got anymore info on this - ie was it the sensor that is built in to the unit, or elsewhere? Did they replace the climate unit with another one?
I understand it to be the sensor on the dash. At first they were talking about a whole new heaterbox and having the dash out, but eventually they pinpointed it to the one sensor that was giving a wrong reading. It took them three weeks in the end to locate it though

I understand it to be the sensor on the dash. At first they were talking about a whole new heaterbox and having the dash out, but eventually they pinpointed it to the one sensor that was giving a wrong reading. It took them three weeks in the end to locate it though
Interesting. Cheers.
Mine does what @Snakey732004 describes, doesn’t blow air where it should do, and I can hear the vents opening/feel air coming out of different vents in a repetitive cycle.
I once removed my unit to test if one (from a Passat) with the heated-seat buttons would work (which didn’t) before refitting it and wonder if I knocked the coding out somewhere?

Edit: turns out two of the three connectors in the back of the HVAC control unit were loose.. once plugged and locked back in, the flaps move as they should and all faults disappear! Haven't run the engine to check whether the temperature changes properly or not yet.

Last edited:
Does the vehicle have A/c? Or is it manual adjustment on the dials?

Theres a reset test plan, for outside / inside temperatures relating to the A/c system on ODIS. I'm not sure too many people / techs know about it.
I've personally seen a couple of similar issues relating to temp readings, which stops the A/C activating correctly.

May be worth the question to your local dealer.?

Does the vehicle have A/c? Or is it manual adjustment on the dials?

Theres a reset test plan, for outside / inside temperatures relating to the A/c system on ODIS. I'm not sure too many people / techs know about it.
I've personally seen a couple of similar issues relating to temp readings, which stops the A/C activating correctly.

May be worth the question to your local dealer.?
Mine does, yes. Haven’t got ODIS - I wonder if VCDS has this reset test plan, too - as I know someone local with a lead.
@Snakey732004 do you have A/C?

i might be wrong... but the dial is a thermostat control but mid position mine says 22 above the knob which is just comfortable temp to sit in..

you might have a problem with yours.......

so temps below that would bring on the heating its a type of climate control not an old fashioned heater...

on a warm day you might find it turns the cooling on with the dial up a little more

if the air con is on it will allow a little warm air into to mix . it does not turn the air con on /off.

i don't ever adjust mine it will warm up slowly defrosting the screen .. a bit of patience might help.

Tuning the heat up from a cold start wont warm the van up any quicker lol.... or crack your screen

@ 22 on the dial if i drive to work with the window open and its cold outside mine goes into heating.....

i do turn it right down then put the A/C on....... but i was a air conditioning engineer for 20 years

i might be wrong... but the dial is a thermostat control but mid position mine says 22 above the knob which is just comfortable temp to sit in..

you might have a problem with yours.......

so temps below that would bring on the heating its a type of climate control not an old fashioned heater...

on a warm day you might find it turns the cooling on with the dial up a little more

if the air con is on it will allow a little warm air into to mix . it does not turn the air con on /off.

i don't ever adjust mine it will warm up slowly defrosting the screen .. a bit of patience might help.

Tuning the heat up from a cold start wont warm the van up any quicker lol.... or crack your screen

@ 22 on the dial if i drive to work with the window open and its cold outside mine goes into heating.....

i do turn it right down then put the A/C on....... but i was a air conditioning engineer for 20 years
May not have articulated my response apologies. Now it's getting warmer I like to have a nice cold cab. The only time I can get it cold is by turning the heat all the way down to it's lowest setting. If I'm too cold I turn it up...but in this case I only just need to move the dial slightly off the lowest setting and it starts blowing hot air and doesn't stop until it's uncomfortably hot. It does sound like a thermostat issue as I do get cold air from the A/C but again at it's lowest setting. I have a heated front screen so not needing to have it pointed at the screen. Is there a thermistor that I could change or something out there that can suggest how to go about fault finding the issue?

Mine has been like that since new, I only move the dial a degree or so from cold at a time to have any control. I've learnt to live with it like that but it is a pain. It is much like adjusting the output on a Webasto diesel heater with a rheostat, move it an extremely small amount at a time.

May not have articulated my response apologies. Now it's getting warmer I like to have a nice cold cab. The only time I can get it cold is by turning the heat all the way down to it's lowest setting. If I'm too cold I turn it up...but in this case I only just need to move the dial slightly off the lowest setting and it starts blowing hot air and doesn't stop until it's uncomfortably hot. It does sound like a thermostat issue as I do get cold air from the A/C but again at it's lowest setting. I have a heated front screen so not needing to have it pointed at the screen. Is there a thermistor that I could change or something out there that can suggest how to go about fault finding the issue?
Mine has been like that since new, I only move the dial a degree or so from cold at a time to have any control. I've learnt to live with it like that but it is a pain. It is much like adjusting the output on a Webasto diesel heater with a rheostat, move it an extremely small amount at a time.
Mine hasn’t always been like this so I’d definitely say it’s a defect. I’d normally leave it bang on 12 o’clock like @Mud Digger does but now it’s red hot if I do.

It is certainly a defect but as I run on cold nearly all year except for odd times to assist the heated screen I don't think about it. There is no way that I could have it at 12 o'clock position though.

Good morning all and Happy Friday.....

So i tried mine out this morning and got the engine a bit warmer i only have a very short drive to work ... so i have the same problem then if it's a fault

control was mid way as always and i have warm to hot air blowing in blowing to feet...

mine did adjust with the dial not fully turned to cold to lower the temp...

with side vents open was a bit cooler to feet position was warm to hot air again

i didn't have a chance to let the van heat up fully to temp and watch it throttle back

but turning it down nearly to full cold did cut off the heating ..

i think the van is trying to be intelligent ... so it keeps you warm not to hot and not to cold

i wonder if it will settle down with a hot day

Mine does this too, it only cools on the most leftest few clicks of the dial and burns everything alive when it's anywhere near 22 or over

Just picked up a low mileage 2017 T6 California.

Something seems off with the heating.

It has the Climatronic / 3 zone A/C heating.

Issue is it blows cold air unless you set the heating to 26c, then it blows really hot air, the difference between 25.5c and 25c is massive so doesn’t seem right.

I’ve had other T6’s where I’d leave the setting on Auto at 22c and it would be plenty hot enough.

I’ve scanned the car with VCDS and doesn’t pick up any errors around this.

Any ideas please?

Pointed at the windscreen you get either hot or cold air, no in between, that’s normal I believe.

Mine’s always been like that and it’s the same for a few of my mates, we all have manual heating and I know it’s been mentioned here many times too.

But face and feet settings you should be able to change the temperature.

I can’t see the Caravelle version being any different, it’s just automated.

Back