Heater Blower Speed

Discussion in 'Vehicle Faults Warranty Repairs Issues & Problems' started by HHO, 3 Dec 2018.

1. HHO

HHO Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Hi Chaps
    Just noticed tonight my heater blower is only working on speed 4. I’ve got the manual Air Con, rather than climate. All other functionality works ok, just nothing blowing out until you select the fan blower at speed setting 4. Anything obvious to check? Any known issues?
    Thanks

2. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Sounds like a blown resistor (s?). Warranty job

Nev-D and HHO like this.
  3. Dellmassive

Dellmassive 204 T32 DSG LWB SPORTLINE PV MY18 VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    resistor pack or fuse for resistor/blower heater?

HHO likes this.
  4. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    Seems to be becoming a bit of a common issue this one, the fan blower consumes a constant current and if you set it to speeds 1/2/3 then theres a resistor that takes part of the load to slow the fan down
    Its separate from the heater/blower control unit so not too major to change, are you still under warranty ?

HHO likes this.
  5. Pauly

Map
    Dont quote me as i havent looked at any options/variants but i think this is the part

Capture.PNG

ShaunR, HHO and Dellmassive like this.
  6. Pauly

Map
    Just googled this picture, looks like a thermal overload cutout on the tip but not sure what is under the cover, repairable or disposable component ?????

List price is £43 + vat

6e914526-f3f9-4a2f-ae14-0f750fdf83d4.jpg

HHO and Dellmassive like this.
  7. Dellmassive

Dellmassive 204 T32 DSG LWB SPORTLINE PV MY18 VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    That looks like the one @Pauly , 4pin including thermal cut-out.

N24 - Fresh air blower series resistor with overheating fuse

fed from -

J301 - Air conditioning system control unit

restive load for blower motor stage 1,2,3 and direct feed for stage 4.

Capture2.JPG

Capture2.JPG

mmi, Robert, Loz and 1 other person like this.
  8. HHO

Map
    Thanks Guys. Just been Google’ing for the last half hour it certainly looks like that. First MOT next week and warranty until 15th December so looks like a happy ending for this. Is this the same component located under/behind the lower passenger side glove box?

9. Pauly

Map
    Im not 100% on the exact location but i believe it is in that vicinity

HHO likes this.
  10. Dellmassive

Map
    here>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Capture3.JPG

ShaunR, andys, mmi and 1 other person like this.
  11. HHO

Map
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Really appreciated :thumbsup:

Dellmassive, Pauly and andys like this.
  12. HHO

Map
    Update - blower resistor pack confirmed. Part on 7 day back order. Glovebox out and easy access to swap. Dealer said they’d seen a few popping between the 2-3 year marker.

Tourershine, ShaunR and Dellmassive like this.
  13. Alan Walsh

Alan Walsh Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Just been out to mine and now have the same problem, 2 weeks out of warranty!

14. HHO

Map
    See if your dealer will work a goodwill repair? Seems be be a known problem. Worth an ask?

Alan Walsh likes this.
  15. t6 soon

t6 soon Member T6 Pro

had same problem on my t5 swapped the thermal fuse with one from maplins for less than £2 worked a treat but only after buying the complete unit did I discover this trick:(

HHO and andys like this.
  16. andys

Can you remember the value of the fuse? I have a feeling this is going to be a regular issue on this forum for the foreseeable future and if it’s the fuse that’s the issue rather than the actual resistor pack, this could be a nice cheap fix for members whose vans are coming out of warranty.

17. t6 soon

t6 soon Member T6 Pro

I still have said item somewhere will dig it out and try to locate its value then post up result of fuse value

Alan Walsh likes this.
  18. andys

Wow a bit of googling shows it’s been a very common and longstanding Transporter problem for years. The old T5 forum is full of loads of discussions, some finding that replacing the fuse solved the problem, some finding it didn’t and needing a full resistor pack. Other posters pointed out that the thermal fuse is there to pull the power in the case of the motor jamming or stopping working, a very valid point as if that’s the issue then replacing the fuse would just cause it to blow again.

Anyway, a couple of useful videos, again thanks to links in the T5 forum (not transporter specific but it looks like VW use the same kit across all their vehicles, just the access to it would change)

Tourershine, DXX, mmi and 2 others like this.
  19. T66RUB

T66RUB New Member

Map
    FF221C47-5C5A-41B3-A611-A67B60741144.png Gambled on this from eBay works fine, easy DIY fix, remove black plastic cover under glove box. Get your head under. Unplug ,remove two screws, replace. FF221C47-5C5A-41B3-A611-A67B60741144.png

andys likes this.
  20. andys

Nice one, cheap easy fix :thumbsup:

Tags: