Europe H7 Headlight Beam Deflectors

Lord Mfwic

I'm Batman.
T6 Legend
We are travelling to Europe soon and reading up on what we need to take it says we need headlight adjustment.

I remember years ago we used to put a sticker on the headlight to stop the glare. Is this still the case or is there a different system or way of adjusting the headlights for European travel.

Mine are H7 if that makes a difference.

TIA

We are travelling to Europe soon and reading up on what we need to take it says we need headlight adjustment.

I remember years ago we used to put a sticker on the headlight to stop the glare. Is this still the case or is there a different system or way of adjusting the headlights for European travel.

Mine are H7 if that makes a difference.

TIA
We go every year and also have the H7 lights but we never drive at night so have never bothered however am following this thread with interest.
If the weather has been bad during the day, so headlights are compulsory, I have wound the adjustment wheel on the dash all the way down so not to dazzle but obviously this wouldn’t really work at night.

When I went to France I had H4's and didn't do a thing, nobody flashed me but there again the van I was following couldn't believe how dull my lights looked
@Lord Mfwic I've got some stick on reflectors for the beams if you want them

When I went to France I had H4's and didn't do a thing, nobody flashed me but there again the van I was following couldn't believe how dull my lights looked
@Lord Mfwic I've got some stick on reflectors for the beams if you want them
Thanks @Peatey
We are buying a kit with triangle etc off Amazon and it comes with the stickers. Just didn't want to put then on incase they damage my lights.

Thanks @Peatey
We are buying a kit with triangle etc off Amazon and it comes with the stickers. Just didn't want to put then on incase they damage my lights.
That’s why we have never used them, the headlights are plastic and I dread to think what a sticky mess/damage they would leave.
Don’t forget you also need a high viz jacket for every occupant which also come in handy should you decide to join in with the demonstrators.

I thought I read that the LED headlights can be swapped to LHD through the MFD
Mine are H7's not LED's.
We won't be driving at night and if it rains I'll lower them down on the twizzley thing.
I'll keep them in the glove box just in case the rozzers stop me.

Mine are H7's not LED's.
We won't be driving at night and if it rains I'll lower them down on the twizzley thing.
I'll keep them in the glove box just in case the rozzers stop me.

Yeah, read that bit afterwards, sorry. I just assumed LEDs were standard fitment for Lords.

I've been touring Europe for 5 years, doing around 6 trips a year in my RHD Motorhome. I've never been stopped by any police, and never had anything on my headlights, then saying that, I don't think i've ever driven in the dark over there.

I often read all these rules and regs about us brits driving in Europe, and all the daft myths about people getting robbed, stopped by the police and fined at the drop of a hat, and all the other stupid comments that often put people off going over there, and i've yet to actually meet anyone that's had any problems at all.

I often wonder what daft things the Europeans read about coming to the UK.

We use the genuine VW acrylic headlight protectors. [ Genuine VW T6 Acrylic Headlight Protectors - 2015 Onward - Vanstyle ]

These come with the mask and position markings on the protector. Its then a simple job to put the protectors on before you go and take them off after continental driving.
Thanks for the tip but at £45 and there being very little chance of us driving in the dark I think I'll just have the stick on ones in the glove box just incase we need them.:thumbsup:

The legal requirement is to 'not dazzle oncoming drivers'* so unless you've upset the French cops already I doubt they'll do you for it, it sounds a bit vague. Certainly not a requirement for deflectors.
I've never bothered but then I've only driven in France in my T4 and they would have more likely stopped me to say the headlights weren't bright enough :rofl:

*info from here: Driving to France | Holiday Ideas | Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

'* so unless you've upset the French cops already
Well, I did drive from Calais to Lyon and back in 24 hours to watch Wales v Portugal in the 2016 euro championship. Along the way I managed to pick up 4 speeding tickets equating to over €1000.00 in fines. The main one being through the centre of Paris at 5am.(Took a wrong turn and was running very late for the Chunnel)
Now they did take exception to my driving and I think they were a little miffed that they could only fine me, not tear up my licence, or throw my ass in jail and ban me from the country. But I'm sure they have forgotten all about that now.:oops:
Oh and AVIS car rental aren't best pleased with me either for putting 1,600 km on their car in 24 hrs.
We lost the game as well.:(

I've been driving to south France at least 6 times a year for last 10 years never bothered with anything on my head lights (was a Toyota ) !
Never been stopped by police (Been caught once) but that's a different story ! lol

Likewise, we're off to the Continent in a few weeks. I've been wondering about the headlights too. Took this picture of the H7 headlight projection against a wall. There is definitely an angled line rising to the left, projected from both lamps. I've seen folk suggesting a bit insulating tape on the headlight as a fix. Doubt this would cause any damage when removed. However, was thinking for the sake of a few quid, I'll maybe invest in some proper stickers. That way if I do get stopped for failing to comply with a foreign sign, that I've no idea what it means, atleast it looks like I've made an effort to be a courteous driver. I have a funny feeling us brits might not be flavour of the month over there just now. Cant think why. :whistle:

20190513_215042.jpg

That’s why we have never used them, the headlights are plastic and I dread to think what a sticky mess/damage they would leave.
Don’t forget you also need a high viz jacket for every occupant which also come in handy should you decide to join in with the demonstrators.

I did a fair bit of driving at night last autumn in France, Spain and Portugal, I used some approved self adhesive ‘blinkers’ from Ebay (Eurolites), cost me a whole £3.49 inc P&P.
They peel off easily and any adhesive rolls off with a finger tip.
I was sure that a pair of H4’s couldn’t dazzle anybody but as a few of us know insurance companies will use just about anything to reduce a payout in the event of a collision. They certainly didn’t make the H4’s any worse!

I do the same as @DXX , the cheap Eurolite stick on things that block the lights from dazzling (as if my H4s could dazzle!). Get them from Wilko's for a few quid before each trip. They come off easily with a bit of warmth and some IPA (not beer) to remove any remaining adhesive marks, no issue with damaging the plastic.

Morning all,
Has anyone got any clear instructions or photos for the H7 unit for where the stickers go? Instructions I have are useless.
Thanks

Back