Headlight switch removal

Martin955

T6 Pro
I've looked at the videos, but mine won't come out. The switch has lost its set points it just rotates round. I have exposed the underside of the switch & pushed up the retaining tag but the switch still won't come out of the housing.
Any suggestions?

If it's like mine (T6.1) there's two retaining tabs, I took the entire panel off so they were easy to see, but I think removing the small side panel would let you get to the top one.

Small side panel is off & there is no way in from there thanks for your input though.
Now I've thought about it, I remember that the panel with the light switch is actually fixed to the van with a screw inside the light switch recess, meaning you have to get the light switch out before you can take the screw out and the panel off. So, I must have got to the light switch clips with the panel only loosened. Make sense?

I'll mention again, this is all on a T6.1

Have you seen this;

Now I've thought about it, I remember that the panel with the light switch is actually fixed to the van with a screw inside the light switch recess, meaning you have to get the light switch out before you can take the screw out and the panel off. So, I must have got to the light switch clips with the panel only loosened. Make sense?

I'll mention again, this is all on a T6.1

As you say the bezel is screwed in, so can't be undone with the switch in place.
I've attached a photo, I can't see where the second clip would be. I think there's one because the switch will move a little bit on one side.
I'll just have to keep fiddling with it.

IMG_20200416_151546.jpg

Have you seen this;

The release mechanism is broken, hence my asking the question.

I think you'll struggle if the mech is broken. I think you'll have to break it off and replace the bezzel and switch.

There are 3 locking points from memory, spaced equally around the edge. The switch sits in a round moulding which has one screw at 6O'clock holding it onto the dash .

I think you'll struggle if the mech is broken. I think you'll have to break it off and replace the bezzel and switch.

There are 3 locking points from memory, spaced equally around the edge. The switch sits in a round moulding which has one screw at 6O'clock holding it onto the dash .

I've got it out, there's 2 tabs the second is in line with the dip beam symbol. I managed to release the top of the bezel sufficient to get a screwdriver in to release the tag.
Now to get a new switch.

For the life of me I can’t get my headlight switch out ....I’ve watched plenty of YouTube videos but it’s stuck fast.

Am I right when I say it does not look in the correct place making me think it’s been put back in wrong previously? Is the auto supposed to be at 12 o’clock?

D7519833-D11E-4CC9-9602-77F7A8D683BA.jpeg

Hi .... look this thread up

As it’s a chrome finished one, I assume it’s aftermarket. Some aren’t made correctly and don’t fit square.

I fitted an aftermarket chrome one to mine and it looks perfect but I fitted an aftermarket replacement bezel to my old A4 and that’s not vertical.

It was on the van when I got it so don’t know if it’s after market or not.
Looking at videos it should fall out.....can’t even get my hand behind to give it a push as I turn it !!!

I have this written down from doing it in the past.

Headlight switch - turn to off, push in, turn to auto, pull out, you can now get access to unscrew and lever out the headlight switch surround.

Exactly what I’m doing but it’s stuck and just won’t pull out....that’s whats making me thing it’s been put back in wrong at some point.

Or broken by a muppet and glued in I’ve seen that one when the release cam gets broken

Gave up in the end and used another switch for illumination feed......thanks for the help people.

Back