Headlight Condensation

Stampie66

T6 Pro
IMG_1660.JPG IMG_1661.JPG Hi all , now the cold weather has set in I've noticed that both my head lights are show signs of condensation .
I know it will disappear when it warms up but should it happen in the first place ? Many thing have been tampered with on the van but haven't touched the lights. ( should have bought the very very very expensive option lights ) Any thoughts . Stampie

I have had no condensation in my LEDs so far.
I would have thought they are sealed units, so not allowing the moisture in the air to condensate on the inner glass.
As in a double glazed unit, it is sealed and the remaining moisture in the air or gas is taken up by the desiccant in the bar. The only reason moisture condensates on the inner pane is when the seal is broken and the unit will/has failed .
Strange it is both units :unsure:

I noticed the same today on my LEDs and has got me worried. Mine was after a 30 minute drive so theoretically they should have been warm and therefore 'drying' any moisture. I'm going to keep an eye on this as these lights are a significant cost option and I'll be really unhappy if they have a fault

Not something to worry about unless it starts to form droplets.
Its perfectly normal and pretty much all headlights will do it in swinging temperatures. You will actually find there will be some form of venting system in the rear of the lamp unit.

My LEDs condensated slightly whilst I washed the van on Boxing Day. I don't think there is a problem. Condensation can occur on any surface.

Has anyone else experienced there headlight units fogging up in parts ?
Washed the van today ready for tomorrow at Camper Mart, so bear in mind the outside temperature, and I noticed the headlight units fogging up inside in small parts, one worse than the other, and just wandered if this is normal because it has now almost gone. 20190202_144820.jpg 20190202_144830.jpg

They should be a sealed unit AFAIK.. so keep an eye on it. I've just had 2 DRL's change under warranty. :thumbsup:

Just my thoughts on this. When the headlights was assembled at the factory or when bulbs are subsequently changed, your allowing air in the headlight unit itself. So if the headlight was assembled or bulbs changed when the ambient air was warm, then that air will likely be humid or holding moisture. When the headlight unit cools, due to low outside ambient temperatures, the moisture condenses out.

So my thinking is, if your having issues with condensation in the headlights, perhaps this time of year is an ideal time to pop the bulb covers off the back. Allow cold dry air into the headlight unit through the holes where the bulbs locate, then refit the bulbs and covers so it's sealed up. In theory, there then should be less or no moisture to condense out against the lense. Maybe this will help.

T
Just my thoughts on this. When the headlights was assembled at the factory or when bulbs are subsequently changed, your allowing air in the headlight unit itself. So if the headlight was assembled or bulbs changed when the ambient air was warm, then that air will likely be humid or holding moisture. When the headlight unit cools, due to low outside ambient temperatures, the moisture condenses out.

So my thinking is, if your having issues with condensation in the headlights, perhaps this time of year is an ideal time to pop the bulb covers off the back. Allow cold dry air into the headlight unit through the holes where the bulbs locate, then refit the bulbs and covers so it's sealed up. In theory, there then should be less or no moisture to condense out against the lense. Maybe this will help.

This is a very good point. I had some in mine the other day and I can't see any now.

thats an interesting idea.

Interesting thought dieseldonkey, however the van is nearly two years old and I never saw this happen in similar temperatures last year, and the bulbs have never been touched, luckily the misting cleared pretty quickly with the sun on the headlights, although this is not what I would expect from a vehicle of this age, will mention it when it goes in for first service..

The headlights have breathers on the back so they should sort themselves out when it gets warmer.

Interesting thought dieseldonkey, however the van is nearly two years old and I never saw this happen in similar temperatures last year, and the bulbs have never been touched, luckily the misting cleared pretty quickly with the sun on the headlights, although this is not what I would expect from a vehicle of this age, will mention it when it goes in for first service..
Mine is approaching 3 years old and this is the first time that I have ever seen this too

Mine misted up while washing the van, so wandered if it was to do with the warm water on the cold surface, however it had not happened before, so even with the mention of breathers on the back, should this happen or not???
Also forgot to mention, washed two other cars at the same time and they did not have condensation forming in lights...

This is from one of the headlight manufacturers so expect a similar response from VW bearing in mind that humidity is still getting over 90% this time of year in the UK. Out of interest, have those with the problems been fitting different DRL bulbs?

'When the light bulb is switched on, the air inside the light heats up. The expanded, heated, and dry air is displaced out of the housing of the rear combination lamp through the ventilation slits. After the light bulb has been switched off, the air in the rear combination lamp slowly cools down again. This causes saturated humid air from outside to be “sucked” into the light interior. This can lead to condensation on the inside of the cover lens on account of high air humidity and greater temperature differences inside the light. This condition occurs more frequently in the cold months and in humid weather'

I for one have never interfered with the bulbs, and that is a very reasonable and technical account on the issue, however I will be keeping an eye on the problem and just wandered if it was a common problem or not....

Back