Have You Rejected A Van Before

Twoguns

T6 Guru
Since picking up my new, first Transporter back in September the first two months was pretty good and really enjoyed owning it. However since December, I've had windscreen heater blower fault, Electric Lumber support fault (both of which are still outstanding and awaiting a rectification from VW HQ), Tailgate needed adjusting, heated washer jet needs replacing but there are no spares in the UK so are on back order and six Engine Management faults which they thought they fixed last week when they replaced the AdBlue Injector.

Driving into work tonight and I've had another Engine Management fault (Fault unknown at this time) but my monies on the AdBlue again. So as you can imagine I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with it as I'm spending more time dealing with VW Assist or the dealership than enjoying it.

So what I would like to know is if anyone has any experience with rejecting a vehicle nearly six months from new but has been converted inside (Standard lining, sound system, heater etc) the van is on Finance with VW.

Only after info so I have all options available to decide what to do if this continues and maybe as some sort of threat so maybe they pull their finger out of their..................

I have friends on my Touareg forum that have formally rejected new vehicles but they are un modified. I think you will find it very difficult to reject it now you have converted it and would loose what you spent even if they replaced it.

I would just push to get it fixed and go for some goodwill like 5 year warranty worth £400.

Goodness me fella. Sorry to hear you have had so many issues. Wish you the best of luck in whatever you manage to do, can offer moral support only, as have no experience on the rejection of a vehicle.

You are well within your rights to reject under sales of goods act, but as @Loz memtioned the only stumbling block is the conversion as this is now not standard. Speak to vw finance and state you want to escalate to customer care as totally unhappy and you will get some goodwill support.

I don't really want to handed it back, but I cant keep on having this as its weekly now and I have to arrange for this new fault now only having had the van in last week at the dealers with the AdBlue Injector being replaced.

I was concerned that my options would be limited and will probably get stuck with this van playing up for a while yet, as I've converted the inside.

Its just so annoying as I've spent top money on the best of everything I can, Top conversion company, all top brand equipment and materials, top van spec and there I am driving in to work tonight with my gym earphones as the New Kenwood Unit packed in today as well (Second Kenwood unit to fail) and an Engine Management light tanning my face while I drive.

@Loz I've already got the extended warranty which I think was probably the best option I paid for and even better it cant break unlike this van.

Goodness me fella. Sorry to hear you have had so many issues. Wish you the best of luck in whatever you manage to do, can offer moral support only, as have no experience on the rejection of a vehicle.
Cheers @DaveyB that's the good thing about this Forum and people like you, it does feel like a counseling service at times where you share your problems.

You are well within your rights to reject under sales of goods act, but as @Loz memtioned the only stumbling block is the conversion as this is now not standard. Speak to vw finance and state you want to escalate to customer care as totally unhappy and you will get some goodwill support.
SOGA is often misunderstood, it's not that simple, there are many clauses many which protect the consumer but you basically would have prove the van is not fit for purpose. This is not easy to do.

I rung tonight but got through to some other department as VW finance are only open between 0900 and 1700 and that's what the guy said I could prob do. So hopefully VW finance will get in touch with the Dealer and sort this out and they will go through my options with regard to where I stand with handing back if the van does turn out not fit for purpose.
So at worse at least VW finance can put pressure on the Dealer too.

I got a years warranty extension on my last Cali three years after we bought it.
Loads of issues, made a big noise, warranty extended.
I'd push for something similar.

I got a years warranty extension on my last Cali three years after we bought it.
Loads of issues, made a big noise, warranty extended.
I'd push for something similar.
Cheers. I will do, as we pay a lot of money for these things and to have one play up so early is just wrong.
I'll get a tech out tomorrow when I'm home and they can low load it back to Swansea and sort me out a hire car while they try and "guess" what it is.
As I really do think that these things are just so complicated now that they don't really know how to fix them when it's something other than a mechanical problem and just change parts or reset codes until they find the right one.

It took them 11 weeks, a replaced ECU and three EGR valves (a big job on a bi-turbo 180) to then realise the newer EGR valve needed a software update.
They kept us supplied with decent courtesy cars (at one point we had two) but it meant missing out on two months of camping in a particularly sunny Autumn.

It took a big leap of faith to buy another one...!

Go as high up the foodchain as you can to get things sorted. Don't get fobbed off by some script reading goon who can't make decisions.
Dealer Principal and at least a senior manager at VWCS.

It took them 11 weeks, a replaced ECU and three EGR valves (a big job on a bi-turbo 180) to then realise the newer EGR valve needed a software update.
They kept us supplied with decent courtesy cars (at one point we had two) but it meant missing out on two months of camping in a particularly sunny Autumn.

It took a big leap of faith to buy another one...!

Go as high up the foodchain as you can to get things sorted. Don't get fobbed off by some script reading goon who can't make decisions.
Dealer Principal and at least a senior manager at VWCS.

Im not permitted to talk about it!

Keep it courteous, polite and on point with the facts in black and white. VW customer services can't and won't reply by email as it has to go through legal/ senior managers. If your getting nowhere go to the press and then name your price!

Did you buy as a individual or as a business?

Keep it courteous, polite and on point with the facts in black and white. VW customer services can't and won't reply by email as it has to go through legal/ senior managers. If your getting nowhere go to the press and then name your price!

Individual. A Cali through the business = financial suicide.

As an individual. Its my own personal vehicle that's used for commuting/camping and has a really easy life. Got the VW tech coming to my house first thing tomorrow so we will see what this fault is. Monies on it being the same.

I had a number of dealer issues. Lost the plot after a 3hr round trip to collect my van, only to be told (mistakenly) that it wasn't ready. Managed to keep my calm and phone VW Commercial Customer Care and opened a case. I wrote down all the issues that I'd had, then replayed them to the case handler. Stated that I wanted my money back, but also made it clear that while that was an ideal - it wasn't practical, so we needed to find a solution.

VWC CC got on to the Stealer and escalated the issue to their Senior Management who weren't aware of my issues but when they were they subsequently got them sorted. My view is VWC CC are our biggest leverage, the Stealer is a franchise and the VW HQ Mothership doesn't like the brand damage of bad service and unhappy customers. Especially when we log onto Forums and tell the whole world.

I had a number of dealer issues. Lost the plot after a 3hr round trip to collect my van, only to be told (mistakenly) that it wasn't ready. Managed to keep my calm and phone VW Commercial Customer Care and opened a case. I wrote down all the issues that I'd had, then replayed them to the case handler. Stated that I wanted my money back, but also made it clear that while that was an ideal - it wasn't practical, so we needed to find a solution.

VWC CC got on to the Stealer and escalated the issue to their Senior Management who weren't aware of my issues but when they were they subsequently got them sorted. My view is VWC CC are our biggest leverage, the Stealer is a franchise and the VW HQ Mothership doesn't like the brand damage of bad service and unhappy customers. Especially when we log onto Forums and tell the whole world.
Cheers bud. Ill be on the phone to them and the VW Finance Company once I know what this new or same fault code is tomorrow once the tech has been. Ill keep you all posted.

So the VW Tech has been and gone and it's the same fault P20EE00 (SCR NOx Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1) and will once again be sent to VW Swansea on the back of a Lorry. This van should be called Transported not Transporter....

I've just opened a case with both VW Customer Services and VW Financial Services who both will open a case and get back in touch with both me and the dealer within the next few days. Hopefully this will get this pig of a van sorted one why or other.

Once the dealer has had another go at bogging it, I'll keep you up to date if your interested, especially you other AdBlue users.

Did you get any joy? as im going the same road with mine. A year of non starting, real bad noises, 1-3 dodgy feeling gear changes, coil light flashes and limp modes? rely on mine for work so getting real unhappy now. And the sheer embarrassment of contacting customers, to say "can't make it van will not start" but you have a new one "yep, still won't start".

Back