Have I been scammed?

DesG

Hi

My automatic T6 broke down at the lights today - wouldn't restart after auto stop. Put hazards on and continued to retry, some coughing from engine but would't fully start. After a several minutes whilst I was fishing for my warning triangle before calling AA, a car pulled in front and two lads jumped out with diagnostic equipment. Seemed like an amazing coincidence, but they seemed genuine, customized teeshirts and cards etc. I won't give their business name, but they have a facebook page, live locally and operate a mobile only service. After a little hesitation I let them plug into my diagnostic port and they quickly diagnosed an EGR fault. They cleared the fault from the system but didn't fix the underling problem, told me I could take it into my dealer for a ~£1k replacement (or maybe plead for a warranty job since I'm just out of extended warranty) or they could do a £200 fix which would take the EGR out of the system and save me fuel at the same time. I took their card and went on my way home. Seems like an amazing coincidence that they were on the scene so quickly. I didn't know them from Adam before but their FB page seems genuine and has likes from people I do vaguely know. But being a suspicious type I can't help worrying that I may have been scammed.

My questions are:

1. What details can be taken from my diagnostic port (It's a 2017 reg T6), in particular can it be used to clone an ignition key?

2. Assuming VW won't fix my EGR under warranty, is there a reason not to have my existing EGR blanked off and removed from the Engine Control System?

Regards
DesG

Des, I suggest you have a search on here about erg faults before diving in and having it blanked off. If yours has never had the erg flushed you should still be able to get VW to do a free one as its a known fault, they also now replace the front pipe that gets blocked. As for it being a scam, I cant help as to what info they can download, I wouldn't trust anyone around where I live to just be helping out but then i'm in London. You know your neighborhood better than most, they may be very genuine guys who saw an opportunity to help and promote their business

Des, I suggest you have a search on here about erg faults before diving in and having it blanked off. If yours has never had the erg flushed you should still be able to get VW to do a free one as its a known fault, they also now replace the front pipe that gets blocked. As for it being a scam, I cant help as to what info they can download, I wouldn't trust anyone around where I live to just be helping out but then i'm in London. You know your neighborhood better than most, they may be very genuine guys who saw an opportunity to help and promote their business
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think the two guys are genuine if a little keen to push their particular solution. As far as I can see their business model is based on chipping manufacturer's setting. I'll go to VW for my first point of call.

1 - No harm in them taking a scan.
2 - EGR blanked off will soon be a MOT failure.
Thanks for the response. From what you're saying it sounds like there is no particular risk of them having been able to clone my key from details they could glean from the diagnostic port.

Just wonder. My friend had a similar situation. Months later they stole his car. Maybe this is a scam to clone the key? Would that be possible?

If you are worried that they may have taken data from your key which could allow them to copy it, then buy and fit a steering lock, or crook lock (device which hooks the clutch pedal to the steering wheel. You could also park another vehicle in front of it if you have one. There are plenty of secondary locking devices which prevent theft.

Maybe speak to an auto locksmith and see what they say?
I would also agree a physical lock such as Disklok (your local Halfords might have one in stock) or ClutchClaw from NK group is a good idea - if you can stand the hassle of fitting them.
I found this article on Car key programming that touches on the subject but it doesn’t give me a totally obvious answer to your question, you might find it more useful as maybe you saw what they plugged in? It would appear you can programme a new key by using a tool that plugs into the OBD port. The tool they show for this looks huge (although I presume there are other brands that might look different) and they say it should only be available to garages/locksmiths and not the general public. I’m not sure that tool would allow the user to clear EGR engine faults either - in my mind it’s just for the key programming. This is something you could ask an auto locksmith.

On deleting EGRs I think it might come back to bite you at MOT time. As long as you use a decent MOT tester that is (but why wouldn’t you?, your life and that of other road users depends on your vehicle being safe while you’re using it). Plus these things are installed for a reason. With latest studies linking air pollution from vehicles to lung cancer (as well as all the other health issues we already new about) removing parts or programming vehicles in a way that ends up causing more particles to be released just seems morally wrong to me.

Edit: I’ve just thought about this a bit more. Even if they were dubious, had the right tool to copy the transponder code etc they would still need to cut the metal part of any new key they planned to download the code onto and use to pinch your van and I can’t imagine they cunningly took a copy of yours during the few minutes they were there. So copying the transponder code would surely be useless?

I think dodgy people just break into your house and steal your keys these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are worried that they may have taken data from your key which could allow them to copy it, then buy and fit a steering lock, or crook lock (device which hooks the clutch pedal to the steering wheel. You could also park another vehicle in front of it if you have one. There are plenty of secondary locking devices which prevent theft.
My neighbour inadvertently acts as ‘rear guard’ for my van. He has some kind of pathological issue where he must park right on the bumper of the vehicle in front. Seems a new trend around here and people don’t learn even when they themselves get blocked in by likeminded folk.

Just wonder. My friend had a similar situation. Months later they stole his car. Maybe this is a scam to clone the key? Would that be possible?
Hi

I'm not convinced that you can access enough info from the diagnostic port to clone a key - for one thing you need a physical key to turn the ignition switch and unlock the steering. But just to be on the safe side, we have now fitted an additional steering wheel lock to our vehicle - we've been intending to do this anyway.

Btw, we've had no recurrence of the original issue that started this thread. I'm pretty sure the two guys were fishing for work that didn't need doing rather than anything more criminal.

Thanks
Des

Yes an old thread, but…

I'm not convinced that you can access enough info from the diagnostic port to clone a key - for one thing you need a physical key to turn the ignition switch and unlock the steering.

I lost my key to my Golf a few months ago. Away from home. Remote area.

Called auto locksmith. He picked the lock to gain entry then accessed the OBD port. He cut me two physical keys in no time in his van. Then coded them to the immobiliser. Done, in less than an hour.

Realised later he never asked me for ID or any proof of ownership!

guessing that's either a late Mk4 or early Mk5, but I imagine the coding on the key will be quite different to now. Well I hope so anyway

Back