Has the t6 got over light steering?

Wendy Jackson

Hi. I went out on a test drive of a 2016 t6 shuttle automatic. I found the van to have over light steering which was a bit off putting and the gear change was sort of slow. I had the feeling that I was not really in control of the driving. My question to the forum is. Can anything be done to add some feel to the steering and keep the van inside its warranty and is the automatic that slow to change. The van had 5000 miles on the clock. Thanks Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
I also agree the steering is the worse part of the van,

Zero feel and super light wish it was adjustable like the cars do.

Hi. I went out on a test drive of a 2016 t6 shutter automatic. I found the van to have over light steering which was a bit off putting and the gear change was sort of slow. I had the feeling that I was not really in control of the driving. My question to the forum is. Can anything be done to add some feel to the steering and keep the van inside its warranty and is the automatic that slow to change. The van had 5000 miles on the clock. Thanks wendy
What have you been driving before the T6? I've never had a problem with the power steering in my van. I actually prefer it to my car which is electric steering. I think it takes time to adjust. If I jump in a vehicle I'm unfamiliar with then everything feels alien until I adjust. Took me weeks to get used to the big Merc Sprinters but loved them once I was used to it.

Sounds like there could have been something wrong with the gearbox, the DSG changes are superfast, much quicker than a torque convertor box or manual change. I agree about the steering though, I was going to post a similar question. Front wheel drive is never pleasant to drive, but the over-light steering and "bus driver" driving position (along with with the stupid angle of the stereo screen) are things that VW really ought to have addressed in the facelift to T6

Sounds like there could have been something wrong with the gearbox, the DSG changes are superfast, much quicker than a torque convertor box or manual change. I agree about the steering though, I was going to post a similar question. Front wheel drive is never pleasant to drive, but the over-light steering and "bus driver" driving position (along with with the stupid angle of the stereo screen) are things that VW really ought to have addressed in the facelift to T6
I agree, My route out of the village where we live takes me to a busy main road junction. Turning right onto the main road (60mph). I find if I accelerate hard, to join the road safely, the steering becomes very light and difficult to judge correctly. This has never been a problem with my other vehicles.
But I find the auto gearbox is the best I've ever used with super fast gear changes so I think there must be a problem with the van you were testing.

Servotronic steering is a cost option at the factory (I have added it to my yet-to-arrive T6, so can't comment on its effectiveness), so presumably VW acknowledge the failings of the standard system?

Might be down to being fitted with the skinny hard compound tyres? Great for fuel consumption but not so good for handling and grip. For a van, the steering is OK on mine with the 255/45's on 18" rims

Yes you might have a point there, could be the only thing that tempts me out of my Devonports

@bullock Make sure you test drive a vehicle with Servotronic, it was awful when I tried it a few years back

@andys argh, too late!

I figured that as it was part of the caravelle topspec, it must be an improvement... I'll report back when it arrives!

hi, In answer to the above I drive a bmw 330d which also as electric steering. What I took out for a test drive was a 6 months old T6 shuttle. OK the BMW as a true automatic gearbox and not just an automatic clutch, but I did expect it be a bit better. I am not looking at a caravalle as for the money vw are asking I would buy a MB V class. I am just interesting in a cheap run around van for holidays and taking the dogs out. Ford don't do many automatics and MB are too expensive for what I need so it went down to a vw. But that steering did put me off a lot, if its too light at 30mph what is it like at 70mph on wet roads. is there a work around. thanks. wendy

What year 330d?
We had a 2006 335d; only the 335i and d had non electric steering and it felt wonderful; proper weight and feedback.
Initial testing of an M135i (electric steering) had us both deeply unimpressed with the steering but it's a quick rack and weights up a bit so we decided to just put up with it.

Very few cars aren't electric assisted today; the Subaru WRX/STi and a handful of hardcore lightweight semi road racers. A real shame.

I drive the van as a van and so don't really worry about the steering. It's okay. That's all.

My steering is ace, turns the van left and right when i tell it too, does a pretty good job at it too, better than my old T5 with 275mm wide tyres.

Try letting the tyres down a bit. The super hard eco tyres are too hard, too noisy and make the steering over light , but drop them a few psi and things improve.

Just an update. After reading your replies and also how bad the vw dealships are,and of some poor chap waiting weeks for a drive shaft. It as put me off the vw for ever. Thanks for helping me from not buying something I would also hate driving. So its time to find something else. Thanks wendy

I like the steering on mine, easy to use, goes where I point it and I don't feel that disconnected. Prefer it to a Transit for sure.

Well I think we compare the Transporter to a lot cars because that's how good the van is. We kinda pick it apart because it's held to a very high standard. @Wendy Jackson, maybe test drive another T6 to be sure there wasn't something wrong with the van you tried. I can honestly say and a lot of others will agree...there's not a better van on the market...albeit a lot of better dealerships out there. I've certainly put my van through its paces. Even almost drowned it in 4ft of water but it still goes without breaking a sweat.

Back