Has anyone stripped down a California?

Scruffy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've asked this question elsewhere, but has anyone stripped down a Cali? Basically I wanted to know to what level do the factory insulate and sound deaden the vans. And where and how,......and what with? Don't all rush out to wreck yours, but if you're bored this evening!

There are vids of factory tours around which might be a cheaper way of finding out!

AFAIK there's a tonne of insulation and all glass behind the cab is double glazed. Certainly stays warm in cold weather and is significantly quieter than the Transporters - AFAIK the Caravelle is also pretty well insulated.

I've asked this question elsewhere, but has anyone stripped down a Cali? Basically I wanted to know to what level do the factory insulate and sound deaden the vans. And where and how,......and what with? Don't all rush out to wreck yours, but if you're bored this evening!
Well.... I am sure I read somewhere that the Cali does not have any insulation and relies on the fact that the night heater puts out enough heat to over come the heat loss!
From my own experience my van has no insulation at all and the eberspacher keeps it toasty all night and with the front windows an inch open I had virtually no condensation and it was below freezing overnight

I've had a look at a video of a Cali in construction, and there's a very brief shot of the metal work before the rear quarter panel goes on. There appears to be a cursory piece of foam folded in there and nothing else. I would of expected a lot more. What do conversion companies do?

@stuart-t6 I've read similar somewhere. And anyway upstairs gets much colder as there is obviously not much insulation unless you fit some kind of roof topper.

Last edited:
Our kids were fine upstairs in two degrees; any colder and is probably want a topper.
The cab is heavily insulated; that's why it's so quiet. As is the rest of it.

But what to I know? I only own one and had a T5.1 Cali for three years...

Never had a problem with the one we had the time we camped in the freezing cold, why do you want to know @Scruffy you going to strip one down. I doubt the people elsewhere with know if it's where I think it is as they don't know their arse from their elbows

Never had a problem with the one we had the time we camped in the freezing cold, why do you want to know @Scruffy you going to strip one down. I doubt the people elsewhere with know if it's where I think it is as they don't know their arse from their elbows

I'm currently sound deadening/insulating my Kombi, and thought the finer minds of VW would know how best to go about the task, but it appears they haven't bothered. I just carry on applying insulation until there's no room left in the van!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you're findings are exactly conclusive.
Why is a Cali so much quieter too? Voodoo magic? My build sheet lists "special noise suppression" Pretty sure it's called "insulation."
And why do only the cab windows steam up? Because the rest are double glazed. That's on the build sheet too.

Last edited:
Get yourself to B&Q & get the recycled plastic bottle insulation roll, it's what a lot of the converters use.

For sound deadening the panels this stuff comes highly recommended - Ultimat® Alubutyl Sound Deadening Proofing Mat 20.2 Sqft Bulk Kit Pack 5 Sheets | eBay

For further insulation this stuff is excellent as it's self adhesive - Thermo acoustic campervan insulation - self adhesive 7mm closed cell foam with foil inner surface
http://www.kiravans.co.uk/lining/ca...-7mm-closed-cell-foam-with-foil-inner-surface

I'm only reporting what I saw on the video. You can watch it yourself. I thought I might be able to get some pointers on here to help me when I'm doing mine, but I certainly don't want to upset anyone.

Actually, I'll pose the question on the California owners forum. They seem a reasonable, well balanced lot.

You could try on ebay there are a number of people who appear to strip down Cali's and sale parts they might be able to answer the question

Well just looked at a California and there is no insulation in the side of the van behind the kitchen unit!! Just bare metal

Best person to speak to is Richard at Kernow Transporters.

A California has a double "skin" of plastic with an air gap all around it - in no area is there carpet stuck to metal. AFAIK this is considered good enough although the cab is apparently well insulated using some kind of aircraft grade matting (been ugraded for the T6).
So the cupboards appear to have "bare" (actually it's coated) metal but the cupboard itself insulates. The roof has a whacking great padded bed in it - more insulation. The windows behind the cab are double glazed too.

Insulation is about sound and heat - heat wise, there's a weapons grade heater keeping it warm. We've camped in zero degrees and been fine but the roof is a cold weather weakness - you need an insulating cover just like in any pop top.

Sound wise, you can cruise in a Cali at 80 and still hold a perfectly civilised conversation with your passengers. It's our quietest (of three) vehicle by miles. This does not work in the other vans (except the Caravelle).

Sure it doesn't have 100mm of loft insulation bunged into the sides but there is no doubt, they are sufficiently and "intelligently" insulated.

Back