Has anyone replaced an Adblue tank?

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
I had an adblue error pop up on my dash, followed by the engine management light.

It transpired that I had a leak from my tank causing a drop in pressure, hence the light coming on. I'm very lucky to have some really good contacts and within an hour I had a brand new Adblue tank, which I've just fitted.
The tanks come complete with everything, so it's literally a straight swap over and plug all the new sensors back in. However, I cannot seem to get rid of the current fault codes below, and although the sensor that tells you how much Adblue is in the tank is brand new, its still saying its low on Adblue with currently 500 miles left, even though its full.

I'm hoping this will reset itself and the codes are to do with the current issue, but I'm just making sure I don't have to get the new tank sensors coded into the van, because the tanks out of a new 6.1 although the part numbers are the same.

Screenshot_20210915-184726_Carista.jpg

An update to this issue for the forum records and because I won't be the only one that has this issue.

To summerise: Leak in my Adblue tank. Swapped leaking tank for a new tank out of a 6.1 that looked identical and all the plugs were compatible. Multitude of errors, including the Adblue level not reading and counting down to zero pretty quickly.

Went into a main dealership today who hooked it into their computer and it read an open circuit. They concluded that the T6.1 and T6 tanks were slightly different and not compatible with each other. Basically, Volkswagen modified the 6.1 tank sensors to eliminate the over filling issue that's common on a T6 and even the dealership tech didn't know this until today. So leaving the dealership a little deflated and still the same fault with only 300 miles left on my Adblue gauge, I decided to remove the new tank and put it next to the old tank to compare, and it transpired that although the part numbers were the same, there was a couple of letters difference in all the sensors, except the main lift pump, where the leak had started in the first place. Hey presto, swapped the lift pumps over, re-fitted the old tank with the rest of the original sensors, reset all the errors with good old Carista and took it for a road test. 5 miles later, the Adblue warning vanished and went back to 6500 miles :)

To conclude. The T6 and T6.1 tanks look identical, but there is a very slight difference in sensors that mean you cannot code a 6.1 tank into a 6. You apparently cannot buy a lift pump for an Adblue tank, you have to buy the whole tank at £1500 plus VAT according to the dealership today.

Why is this important? Because guys running as low as me, will realise that all the sensors and wiring sit lower than most of the underneath of the van, and it's only protected by a plastic shield, hence my leak and hence the state of my Adblue tank below.

Moral of the story, don't act like a teenager and stop dragging your belly on the floor, it's expensive.

20210917_110944.jpg20210917_105721.jpg

So your now raising your van as we speak………… no I didn’t think so :slow rofl:

You'd think so wouldn't you. No, I've learnt to stagger speed humps more to the right hand side now. Plus I will fabricate an aluminium shield to protect the tank.

Oh and as the tech said today, yeah it's a pain in the ass, but boy it looks the nuts mate.

Back