Has anyone considered a different van??

Breeze12

what made you go for a vw transporter?? are they actually better than any other van? Or is it all about the cool factor?

I seem to have bought all my vehicles for the last 20+ years with VAG goggles on.

I had a Vito Tourer for a couple of weeks a while back, the equivalent to a Shuttle. It drove, rode, handled, performed better and used less fuel than the Transporter. Would I have one? Probably not. VWs get under the skin.

I look at F**ds for ages before finding my T6. Residual value was not a factor for me as I'm looking to keep it long term. Correct they don't seam to depreciate at the same rates as other vans but they also are more expensive in the first place. In the end it came down to two things:
1) I have always wanted the VW, probably because I think it has the desirability factor, cool factor or whatever you want to call it and I knew I would be driving in any other perfectly good van but still a bit of we would have wished I had gone for the VW.
2) Availability of conversion and aftermarket modification parts. A lot of companies I spoke to only dealt with VW and lots of beds etc. were not at the time as readily available for other vans. Although, this is slowly changing with other vans becoming more popular

Considered a Transit Custom for a camper, only went VW as that was all the dealer we went with offered.

The choice of aftermarket items is far greater, e.g. door stores, van shades etc.

Didn't consider residuals but I suppose will eventually benefit.

Definitely wasn't the image. I still think a Transit would offer more shoulder height width, but happy enough now the H4s are gone :think smile bounce:

I wanted a T6 sized van but I wanted AWD, no other brand offered an AWD version, although Ford do now.

No actual sound reasoning to it but Transit etc. campers just don't sit right with me. They'll always just be carpeted builders vans and I think they're ugly. It's not purely a VW thing either, I have no particular affinity for the brand and I feel much the same way about Crafters as I do Transits.

I use my van for work and pleasure so camper conversion wasn’t a consideration. Bought a T5 when I went self employed about 12 years ago and although it was a basic 85ps I still loved it. When I changed it the local van centre was rubbish so looked at the Vito sport the merc dealer was very helpful and we got a great deal. Had the Vito for 8 years and really liked it BUT just changed again and didn’t like the new Vitos so went for a new T6.1 Highline Kombi and absolutely love it!! All though I really liked the Vito it just felt great getting back into a Vw - it just feels that much nicer to drive. Plus you get a great forum to join

It will be interesting when Ford start making the T7 Transporter.

The government's own climate spokesperson won't buy an EV because she sometimes needs to do long journeys. She's sticking with her old diesel Golf!
Err, yes, so do the rest of us! :slow rofl:

I'm sure I will own an EV at some point but every time I think about them I think about my Dad buying a "Betamax" VCR.

When we first looked for a camper a few years ago, we went to shows and looked at a wide variety of van conversions but always seemed to drift back towards a transporter. I test drove a couple of other marques but just thought the VWs that we tried seemed a 'better' drive so that's what we went for in the end. Mind you, even after 40+ years of driving, I still don't know (or want to know) much about the mechanical aspects of cars/vans and never really wish to get my hands dirty with them so I'm not sure my opinion is much to go on!

Mine is purely for work.
I run mine a 204, a Crafter(totally gutless) a Vivaro & an Expert.
I would be just as happy jumping in any of them, but I do love the extra power the 204 has.
I might try a Vito next time. Defiantly would if the put the 3.0 back in it.
I don`t think there any better screwed together, or reliable than any other van. Except Fords maybe, they seem to eat engines

Hmmm, so basically, it needs to be a vw! :slow rofl:
Its Taken us about 6 years for us to finally decide that a van would work for us. Obviously we choose the moment the prices shoot up! :rolleyes:

I wanted a T6 sized van but I wanted AWD, no other brand offered an AWD version, although Ford do now.
Same reason for me...Merc do a better 4wd with Lo box but still too commercial for my daily use. The VW is by far the most pleasant to drive. I still envy the Merc drivers though....

Back