Handbrake too low.

Yes, you can make changes to the gradient with Carista as far as I’m aware.
I didn’t know you could do that on Carista. Just changed mine and it seems much more surefooted as I always had a roll (both in drive and reverse), before the DSG got its act together.

When I first started driving the van, and before I had figured out the hill start assist, I took my right hand off the wheel and held on to the grab handle so I could reach down and then pull myself back up again.

I've been meaning to sort this problem for a long time now as it a pain reaching so far down dozens of times in city driving. As it happens I was out there this morning to have a go at finding a solution....I couldn't even get the cowl off! It seemed if I pull any harder I'll break something. Is there something I'm missing or am I just being a wooss?

This is becoming a one man Q&A thread. :rolleyes: I've just seen demo from Coombe Valley Campers about lowering the handbrake. But after all the comments about reaching down for the standard height why would anyone want to make it even lower. What I want to do is raise handbrake lever to a comfortable height. I realise that I would lose the captains seat swivel but as I don’t have a family any longer I rarely need four inward facing seats. Also I’m not comfortable with the driving position as I’m only 5’3” and the swivel mechanism adds more height. I think I could fabricate a spacer plate to bolt on to the present mounting but the actual cable doesn’t have any extra length. Does any body know if there is a longer cable that might do the job. I have SWB T6 so maybe a LWB transporter cable if it can be adjusted short enough.

Sometimes you need a lowered handbrake to enable the installation of an aftermarket seat swivel.

Understood but like I said, I'm willing to sacrifice the swivel as I hardly ever use it but have to reach down uncomfortably for the handbrake multiple times on a journey.

Understood but like I said, I'm willing to sacrifice the swivel as I hardly ever use it but have to reach down uncomfortably for the handbrake multiple times on a journey.
I found this solution to the low handbrake problem, not bought one yet but it looks the business.

Last edited:
Personally i don’t use the handbrake hardly at all when I’m driving- just for parking up.

I find this solution to the low handbrake problem, not bought one yet but it looks the business.
Thanks for that @Roblee. Odd looking and a bit expensive but could be exactly what I need.

I’ve got a dsg and just ordered a Carista.
What percentage (0-13) Did you set it to?

Thanks
From memory I think I changed mine from 3 to 6. Just have a play to see what’s comfortable for you… you can always change it back

Back