Halfords 12v / 20w Solar Charger - output 19.6v ?

markob

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hoping some of the solar experts can help with this one..

Just bought the above to keep a car battery topped up whilst not being used, thought I would check the cigarette socket stays live on the car with a voltmeter (luckily it does) and also thought I would check the output of the solar panel. In not particularly bright sunshine it was outputting 19.6v on the 12v cigarette plug !

I presume this would not be good for the car battery ?

Should I add some kind of MPPT charge controller ?

Hoping some of the solar experts can help with this one..

Just bought the above to keep a car battery topped up whilst not being used, thought I would check the cigarette socket stays live on the car with a voltmeter (luckily it does) and also thought I would check the output of the solar panel. In not particularly bright sunshine it was outputting 19.6v on the 12v cigarette plug !

I presume this would not be good for the car battery ?

Should I add some kind of MPPT charge controller ?
running any panel direct to a battery is not realy a good idea.

esspecialy is its not fused or has a internal blocking diode.

as you say you can run it through a solar controller to get around that problem. . .

either PWM or the better MPPT controllers. .

also on that note 20W is very low power, in testing you need about 50W min to counter act any static discharge.

but i suppose 20w is better than no watts right. . . .

see here for some back ground.

SOLAR:

and the rest: Dellmassive’s "How I Done It" blogs.

And don't put it on the dash to collect the sunlight as modern windscreens block most of the useful 'charging' rays.

Thanks for the advise, very interesting.

I didn't like the idea of an unregulated voltage going straight into the battery and your info above seems to back that up

I might return the Halfords solar panel and buy one from Amazon with an MPPT controller built in - any suggestions?

I don't this the car needs much to keep it topped up, but perhaps if doing this it makes sense to buy a bigger panel too?

Various panel kids are shown here:

Look at around 50w for a dash trickle charge.

And 100-400w for a leisure battery mobile charge.

I agree with the 50W spec. You lose 50% if it goes inside the van behind the tinted windscreen.

Pete

Just as a follow up to this, I am considering my options…

This solar panel was only bought to keep a battery topped up in an old car I don't use very often

It has started me thinking though.. I might add solar to the T6 in which case investing in a decent (Victron?) MPPT controller now for future use might make sense...?

Are there any Solar controllers that also allow for DC-DC charging? I might add a second battery to the T6 later too...

Last edited:
I've got a RING RSCDC30 in my T6 which works reasonably well, it is a very early version (5+ years old) and has had a few firmware hiccups but better now. There must be more modern units available now.

I have a redarc unit that does both mppt solar and dcdc at the sametime. , used it for over 4 years sometimes in extreme conditions.

It's a Redarc BCDC 25D. Mine is 25A model also available in 40A and new 50A models.
Don't know if it is available in the UK.
I'm sure Victron will have something similar.

Back