Half Window?

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Can I just cut out one of the rear windows, marked up in the picture?
This along with my sliding door window should appease the DVLAs requirement for two windows on one side.
91F29F11-8C36-4677-909B-2BAC961BEFAE.jpeg

With the sliding door you'll have two windows on one side?

Won't that look a little weird from the outside @OllieGBR ?
I’m not sure. My interpretation of the DVLA regs is there needs to be 2 windows on one side of the van. I’m assuming the sliding door counts as one, and this 1/2 window would count as the second. I really don’t want any windows in the back, which is why I’m looking for a compromise. I’m not sure how this would work from the inside either

Remember there’s no point in trying to comply on some issues if you’re not going to fit a high top. If you’re going to keep it low or poptop you will have to stay as a window van anyway so you may as well just install what suits your needs.

OK - decision made, I will be sticking to 60mph on dual carriageways.
Not putting any rear windows in.

I'm new to the Forum and don't have much experience other than a T5 for the last 8 years but if this helps I had a 'certified' double seat fitted 3 or 4 years ago then got the van registered with DVLA as a 5 seater. They never asked me for windows. The occasional use was me splitting the bulkhead (leaving bottom half in) and fitting the double seat onto its rail. Hope this helps.

I'm new to the Forum and don't have much experience other than a T5 for the last 8 years but if this helps I had a 'certified' double seat fitted 3 or 4 years ago then got the van registered with DVLA as a 5 seater. They never asked me for windows. The occasional use was me splitting the bulkhead (leaving bottom half in) and fitting the double seat onto its rail. Hope this helps.
It was about being able to register the van as a “Motor Caravan” on the V5c, rather than increase the number of seats. This used to be fairly easy but has recently been changed to require such things as a high top (not poptop) and motorhome style graphics in addition to the previous window and interior requirements. Vans not meeting all these criteria have been classed as Window Vans by the DVLA instead of campervans, causing much consternation.

It was about being able to register the van as a “Motor Caravan” on the V5c, rather than increase the number of seats. This used to be fairly easy but has recently been changed to require such things as a high top (not poptop) and motorhome style graphics in addition to the previous window and interior requirements. Vans not meeting all these criteria have been classed as Window Vans by the DVLA instead of campervans, causing much consternation.

Ahh I see! Bit of a minefield by the sounds of it. Motorhome style graphics is an interesting one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ahh I see! Bit of a minefield by the sounds of it. Motorhome style graphics is an interesting one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I wrote to the DVLA asking them to be more specific on the 'motor caravan style graphics' and to confirm my understanding of the wording in their requirements. Needless to say, as polite the response it was useless.

I've made a conscious decision not to bother, build the van I want and just get the seat numbers changed and description ' panel van with windows' it is!

The 'DVLA' thread is a long read without much in the way of reassurance on where we stand. I am now relying on the published advice that if you say its a camper van then it is a camper van with regard to speed limits and bridge/tunnel tolls etc.
If given a notice by the police I shall have to challenge it with the evidence that it is a camper.
As you have already identified that gives us much more freedom to build what we want and not what is detailed in the DVLA guidance document.
Mine will have full glass but no full height wardrobe and may also have a de-mountable cooker or fridge.
Room for innovation:thumbsup:

Just wondering, did you ever do this? I want to do the same thing but on the outside it looks like a full size window.
No. I decided there was no point in trying to go for the accreditation as I didn’t have a permanent pop top. I have two ‘fake’ windows added to each rear side of my van. I think it looks much better with the contrast of the silver too.

C3BB1265-419A-4A24-9736-7E7B39CD3D56.jpeg

No. I decided there was no point in trying to go for the accreditation as I didn’t have a permanent pop top. I have two ‘fake’ windows added to each rear side of my van. I think it looks much better with the contrast of the silver too.
Looks good, I’ve decided to do the same, just about to order them from camper glass.
Im surprised more lwb owners don’t want to do the same so rear passengers can see out of a window but you still have a fixable/mounting area at the rear!
Thanks for the reply

I have a SWB Kombi conversion with the normal offside cabinet layout, the additional nearside rear window makes a big difference to my awareness in traffic.
As an ex biker I am still programmed to an over shoulder check before lane changes, it also keeps the neck working in old age.

Back