Haldex drain plug

Unimog

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Guys, I set out to change the Haldex oil in my rear diff and clean the gauze filter. But I am confused as to which is the drain plug. From pictures on the web of Gen 5 units the drain plug is below the control unit. But I can’t see a drain plug on my unit, but there appears to be one further back on the under side. Is this the drain, or a case bolt? See picture.

thanksEAA30B1F-4836-4416-A297-E3D1DC759603.jpeg

Initially when I dropped the oil, it looked clean but once is got to about half empty it changed to a gun metal gray / black, and as you can see from the picture the gauze was all but blocked.

I ran the pump via the VCDS as suggested to refresh the settings but noticed it initially ran for around 20seconds. So ran it again and it again for a couple of minutes before turning it off. Hopefully it’s ok!

I the drop down menu I selected temperature, which was 23-24. I believe it needs to be over 20c . The current draw was 1.3 amp.

There was also a option called blockage rate which showed zero?

Strongly suggest you change your oil or get iT5 upgrades or alike to do it for you.

Incidentally the mileage on the van is 25,000.

A5D4F339-6EBD-4FB0-BB7A-C0E406AC6D5C.jpeg

Possibly referring to measurement value "degree of blockage"?
Basically the value tells degree of clutch coupling - higher value = more pressure = tighter "connection" between front and rear axles.
Some experimenting ---> 4motion Abnormality And Subsequent Failure

Thank you, a very interesting read. I assume if I connect my VCDS while driving I should see the clutch operate depending on the driving conditions.

With the graphite texture around the gauze filter Indicating ware on the plates, how long can we expect the the Haldex clutch pack to last before it’s worn out?

Reactions: mmi
Back