H7 Headlamps - Accessing DRL bulbs

Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Wonder if anyone has any tips or photos of the back of the H7 headlight. Trying to get access into the DRL bulbs. I can get my finger tips onto what I think is back of the bulb holder. However, not sure how the holder unlocks from the back of the headlight. Getting your hand in is a royal pain in the hoop.

I think that's the DRL if not it's the small bulb just to the right of the red circle.

Yep your right that's the drl the small one is the parking light. Just been swapping my H4's to H7's today and swapping the bulbs to bright white from the shop ( thanks @Pauly ) bit fiddly to get back in correctly the drls, we thought we had a faulty light at first but just wasn't sat in correctly. Phew!

Is there a physical difference in the look of the h7 headlight to the h4 from the outside? Not sure what I have and what to look for to buy h7’s

H4 is the standard headlight on panel vans @F2JON . The H4 bulb has two filaments in the one bulb. So one bulb does both low and high beam functions. The DRLs are positioned inboard of the headlight lamp in the cluster.

Caravelles and Shuttles come with H7 as standard. Although they are available in a PV from the factory as an optional extra. The low and high beam are two separate H7 bulbs. DRLs are located at the bottom outside corner of the headlight cluster.

Have a look at page 1 of @Ed Webb 's post here for pictures comparing the difference.

H4 --> H7 journey

Last edited:
I’ve been swapping bulbs about all afternoon and find removing the bumper is the easiest way of swapping bulbs if you having trouble. Four or five bolts at each side and a couple of plastic clips, a good pull and it in your hand!

My drls were a bit of a pain to get into as well and nuckels got a few marks to prove it Quik question for h7 guys . I changed my bulbs a few months back and in my manual it says the the diped beam h7 bulb is held in with a metal type spring but none of my bulbs had one . It just poped out so assumed previous owner had mibi broke them by accident . Noticed in the pic provided above that it dosent have one also . Is this normal or do eny other h7 owners have clips holding bulbs in place . Thanks for your time guys and girls

The metal spring clip is moulded/part of the head light. There is a locating slot for orientation and the two small metal spring clips at each side holding the base of the bulb, it isn’t loose, it doesn’t come out.

Last edited:
The metal spring clip is moulded/part of the head light. There is a locating slot for orientation and the two small metal spring clips at each side holing the base of the bulb, it isn’t loose, it doesn’t come out.

That's great . Mines is like that :thumbsup:

Following on from @Ed Webb 's post and picture above. This is what the rest of the component that he circled in red looks like once it's out. It's almost like a built in tool to turn the bulb holder with. And said tool is just a press fit on the holder, so it can detach if you just pull it. Best make sure you've turned it anti clockwise first, before trying to withdraw it. Its stiff, but it does turn just a little. There's no wires to detach from the bulb. The contacts are built into the holder.

As for getting it back in, well you look a proper pillock with your face mashed against the side of the headlight. Was the only way I could see through to the hole to locate the bulb, as the lense shaping distorts your focus.

Anyway, best of British to you, if you have need to get these suckers out/in.....for what ever reason. :cautious:

20181210_150721.jpg

20181210_144140.jpg

Last edited:
My drivers side DRL needs replacing , has anyone managed to change one without taking the bumper off ? it looks very tight around the headlight area

My drivers side DRL needs replacing , has anyone managed to change one without taking the bumper off ? it looks very tight around the headlight area

Yes. It can be changed without dismantling the front end. It just tight, fiddly, awkward painful, frustrating, infuriating, and generally a royal pain in thre arse to change a simple bulb. Best to study the pictures above so that you get an idea of what your finger tips are feeling. It's all done by feel.

I peered through the DRL from the outside which helped me 'feel' and see when the buld was being located in the back of the reflector.

As said above....it's a right b*****d of a fiddle job. I put in some Canbus free LEDs so hopefully I wont have to change them again for a long time

I peered through the DRL from the outside which helped me 'feel' and see when the buld was being located in the back of the reflector.

As said above....it's a right b*****d of a fiddle job. I put in some Canbus free LEDs so hopefully I wont have to change them again for a long time
well the mystery deepens, i removed the top of the air filter box to give me more room. Then I get the bulb out only to find it is ok , I tested it with a meter to confirm this. Just to prove I wasn't going mad I put in a new bulb ( this was the tricky part and now I have very sore hands and knuckles !!). unfortunately the new bulb does not work either :(.
Looks like tomorrows task is taking the bumper and removing the headlight so I can have a good look at the headlight.

I’ve been swapping bulbs about all afternoon and find removing the bumper is the easiest way of swapping bulbs if you having trouble. Four or five bolts at each side and a couple of plastic clips, a good pull and it in your hand!
The time you need to unbolt the bumper takes me to change the drl bulbs. Once you'll get the hang of it, it goes 10 times faster leavng the bumper on.

Back