H7 Headlamp - W21W DRL Bulb Issue. Be Aware

I resume this thread.. Same problem for me. Always driver side. Mine is 150Hp my 2017 (italian version Caravelle)
I have standard H7 light with OEM DRL W21W inside.
Mine DRL bulb work (sometimes) but have a lamp signal fault on the dash at first start of the engine.

Sometimes DRL don't work.. I have changed the bulb, but after a while the fault come again.
I think there is a small play between the bulb contact..
I have read the thread.. Can I change the bulb holder with a new one OEM 2019 version 7E0998953? Is it possible to retrofit?

Or is time to change the battery?

Only just read this post but been having the same problem.
I ordered a replacement bulb holder from VW and received the holder with wires coming out the back - not an exact replacement and I had no idea what to do with the wires!!
I said to the guys at VW that I felt it implied that they were aware of the problem. They just scratched their heads and implied they had no idea.
My problem is my van is a year out of warranty. I feel they should repair it for free if it is a know problem.
Is it time to upgrade to LED headlights I ask myself..........

Only just read this post but been having the same problem.
I ordered a replacement bulb holder from VW and received the holder with wires coming out the back - not an exact replacement and I had no idea what to do with the wires!!
I said to the guys at VW that I felt it implied that they were aware of the problem. They just scratched their heads and implied they had no idea.
My problem is my van is a year out of warranty. I feel they should repair it for free if it is a know problem.
Is it time to upgrade to LED headlights I ask myself..........
vw cleckheaton would not accept that there is an issue with that type of holder, they blamed it on my not using an OEM bulb ( it was not an LED bulb though ) they fixed it for free out of warranty though

Given it's a safety issue, not sure why this isn't subject to a recall. If an advisory notice has been issued by VW on this to their dealers, it would be useful to get its reference number. Members could quote it when this problem arises. Might speed things up a bit.

So in 2019 my DRL bulb holder melted. Vw fixed it under warranty but would not reveal to me how they had fixed it ?. Today that same bulb has stopped working again. I've never had any issues with the passenger side.
I'm going to take out the bulb holder tomorrow to see if its melted again or whether its as simple as the bulb has gone.

So in 2019 my DRL bulb holder melted. Vw fixed it under warranty but would not reveal to me how they had fixed it ?. Today that same bulb has stopped working again. I've never had any issues with the passenger side.
I'm going to take out the bulb holder tomorrow to see if its melted again or whether its as simple as the bulb has gone.
Any update Andy ? Had they substituted a new bulb holder ?

Here is a picture inside an early H7 with the bulb holder removed. The wires are easily visible / accessible and if cut as near as possible to the bulb receptacle, will give plenty of slack to work with. The wires route back to near the bulb hatch. I dont think it matters which way around the wires are connected.

Having bought a set of early H7s, I’m confident / comfortable a repair is fairly straightforward with the repair part (I googled the part number and found an image - it does have wire tails on the bulb holder)

F488BC79-D913-467D-844F-762B6627116A.jpeg

As far as I’m aware polarity will matter if a LED bulb is ever used.

Back