H4 to H7 Coding

T6ARF

Matt
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hello you good people of the T6 Forum! All being well, on Sunday I’ll be getting some Caravelle H7 headlights to replace my standard H4 units.... and as I understand it (thanks to @Spaghetti), once I’ve fitted these, my van will need to be coded for the unit to perform as VW intended. I.e. once coded, the four H7 bulbs, dipped and full beam should work together when full beam is activated.
So my question is this, is there anybody in the Midlands area who would be willing and able to help me with this in exchange for some cash, beer, wine etc???
I’ll be very grateful for your help with this, so thank you in anticipation.
Cheers, Matt

Well I managed to fit the caravelle headlights this weekend.... and what a ball ache.... on, off, on, off!!!
All was going well, got the first unit in place, switched on the ignition and ran through a visual check of all the bulbs.... DRL’s, sidelights, headlights and main beam.... all good! :thumbsup:
got the second unit in place and neither the DRL or sidelight were working (but as I’d put in LED bulbs I thought I’ll just rotate the fitting).... again, switch on the ignition, visual check, all good!:thumbsup:
But when I start the engine, after just a few seconds I get a ‘bulb out’ warning light???
Just a note.... all the bulbs I’m using are PHILIPS and not cheap rubbish!
So even though the DRL is on, I’m assuming the unit doesn’t like the LED bulb, as this is when the ‘bulb out’ warning light comes on (before I’ve tried the sidelights or headlights)?
In my previous H4 unit, I was running PHILIPS LED DRL’s with no problems, so I’m a bit puzzled by this?
Is this something that can be coded out?
@Spaghetti @Deaky ??

I use Osram W21w LEDs and get a bulb out warning if the battery voltage is slightly low (if it’s left for a week or so without starting). If I start it, and then start again later on the day when the voltage is good, I get no bulb out warning.

I’ve just put up with it, but should probably code it out

I use Osram W21w LEDs and get a bulb out warning if the battery voltage is slightly low (if it’s left for a week or so without starting). If I start it, and then start again later on the day when the voltage is good, I get no bulb out warning.

That's the same bulbs as i have, and exactly the same problem. If I start the van rev it switch it off and back on again everything is fine

Last edited:

Thanks for this reply @Spaghetti .... I thought I was doing something wrong.... hence taking the units off and on again!
I’ll hopefully get it coded out when I meet up with @Deaky to code the dipped/main beam issue! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks again!

Thanks for this reply @Spaghetti .... I thought I was doing something wrong.... hence taking the units off and on again!
I’ll hopefully get it coded out when I meet up with @Deaky to code the dipped/main beam issue! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks again!
I can turn off the bulb monitoring to stop the error :thumbsup:

How difficult is it to do the swap to Caravelle H7 from the standard lights?
Any how to guides around?

How difficult is it to do the swap to Caravelle H7 from the standard lights?
Any how to guides around?
The actual headlight unit is easy to swap over, once you’ve got the front of the van off (grill, bumper etc).
Check out the Transporter HQ YouTube channel for a guide to fitting headlights :thumbsup:

Thanks. No probs stripping the front end or the coding, was just making sure it’s a straight swap for the units.
Now to find a good pair

Hi, some advice please. Can Carista do the caravelle H7 twin headlight mod as well? Also, can it tell me if my van has been mapped?
Thanks.

I don’t think it and the lights and it will definitely not be able to tell you if your vans been mapped.

Hi, some advice please. Can Carista do the caravelle H7 twin headlight mod as well? Also, can it tell me if my van has been mapped?
Thanks.
Should be able to code H7s for a T6 with the Beta app, did it on my Highline when swapping out H4s.

Back