[GUIDE] Land Rover Discovery alloys on a T6

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Before I make an expensive mistake, can anyone see a flaw in this plan :cool:

As much as I like the T6/T6.1 OEM 18s they are expensive and difficult to source, so I've been looking at alternative OEM-looking alloys. I've settled on these Land Rover Discovery 'Style 1011' 10 split-spoke. They were standard on the HSE Luxury but don't look good on the Disco. However, what looks good on a 4x4/SUV doesn't necessarily look good on a van, and visa versa. I've not yet found another VW model's alloys (e.g. Amarok) or a third party alloy that gives an OEM look that I like on the T6....

1601979886797.png1601979969590.png

This is what I'm hoping they might look like on a van:

T6 on LR Style 1011.png

Here's the checklist that I'm using:
  1. They have a 5 x 120 PCD
  2. The wheels are 8.5J x 20 and were on 255 width tyres on the Discovery. That's the same as the VW OEM 18"s, so shouldn't rub on lock.
  3. In any case, I can put on 245/40 R20 which would give a speedo error of +2.90% which would be strong (usually recommend not beyond +2.50%)
  4. I can get load rated tyres for my T28 at 245/40 R20 (103) from Nankang/BlackCircle
  5. I'm checking with Land Rover for the load rating on the rims as they are not stamped with a load rating anywhere inside, but anecdotally it's 930kg or more, and I only need 800kg for my T28
  6. They are an ET47 offset which is only 3mm from standard. I might need a stud conversion kit and hubcentric spacer or spigot rings, but I believe that's all doable?
  7. I can replace the 63mm Land Rover hub caps with VW aftermarket ones
OE Part Number is LR081589, in case you want to help validate this.

What do you reckon?

Last edited:
Okay, I think I can see why there's not a debate started on this post, and I'm glad...because there's a lot of poor posts about what width tyre to put on wheels on this forum. I'm not staggering the wheel width - it'll be 8.5J all round, and I'm not into putting 275s on a 8.5J (I mean, why?!). I have a nice choice of 245/40 or 255/40 (the latter would give me the load rating on main brand tyres) and the right width for 8.5J on a 20" wheel, and probably leave me with a speedo with mesmerising accuracy compared to my phone's GPS!

However, I could do with some help with my offsets and conversion kit. Do I necessarily need a spacer, or with an ET47 vs the VW ET50, can I just use long bolts/nuts and spigot rings?

I do like the idea of bringing the wheels out of the depths of the wheel arches, particularly the rear, so is there a staggered set of spacers that would help with that, even if only a little e.g. 10mm front, 20mm rear?

I can't see that answered in any of the threads that I've searched, but apologies if it is right in front of me.

P.S. The wheel load rating I got confirmed as 940kg, so way above what I need to worry about on a T28.

Last edited:
So, digging a little deeper, the spacer settings I like as a reference is on this thread. 15mm front, 25mm rear on 17" Devonports. There's a nice amount of hooding on the wheels, less chance of kerbing and clipping, but more visible than stock.

But if I Calculate/Compare Wheel Offset and Backspace between the Devonports and these Discovery wheels, I get this:

In the relation to the base wheel, this wheel is closer to the suspension for 11.05 mm.
In the relation to the base wheel, this wheel is closer to the fender for 27.05 mm.

Which means that my wheels will appear as if on 27mm spacers front and back.

So I don't get a choice about the front - the wheel will be flush with the wheel arch. So the natural conclusion is to add 10mm spacers at the back, and I will end up with something like on this thread.

I am guessing that the distance to the suspension is not a problem, given that there are people running 9J and 9.5J wheels which necessarily will be nearer? and I'm not on a T32 where I have bigger brakes necessitating spacing on either?

EDIT: and I'm settling on the 255/40 for reduced rolling resistance and speedo accuracy and big brand tyres.

UPDATE: Talking to the very helpful John @ LTC Tyres, I'll need...

Front:
10 x Standard bolts (Seat Type: 60 Degree Tapered, Thread: 14x1.5mm, Hex Socket Size: 17mm, Finish: Zinc Plated, Thread Length: 26mm, Overall Length: 70mm)
2 x Spigot Rings

Rear:
10 x Extended bolts (Thread - 14 x 1.5mm, Head / Hex Size - 17mm, Cone / Seat - 60 degree tapered [Length - extended! not listed])
2 x 10mm Hub centric Spacers

£120 delivered

Last edited:
Struggling to find a verified source for VW centre caps that fit Land Rover wheels. Here's the spec:

genuine Land Rover wheel centre cap in chrome with Land Rover badge. Overall diameter is 63mm and the clips will locate into a hole of approximately 51mm

EDIT: This was wrong!

Last edited:
I'm slightly surprised by how good this touch up paint was when applied to the wheels, with this lacquer to go over the top. I bought 15ml and have touched up every scratch on all four wheels and used only about 5ml. The wheels aren't brand new, but they will do a good impression of new ones, when you look from head height!

1603053192381.png

I am interested in your post because there may be the possibility that I may look at discovery 3/4 wheels in the future. I would most likely go with 18". I would like to hear how you get on with this project.

Do not forget, the more a wheel tyre sticks out, the greater the leverage that is exsertered on the suspension. That is, the suspension will be effectably be softened by a small amount.

Struggling to find a verified source for VW centre caps that fit Land Rover wheels. Here's the spec:
This spec was wrong. My wheels are actually 47mm inner and 60-63mm outer. Back to the drawing board

This spec was wrong. My wheels are actually 47mm inner and 60mm outer. Back to the drawing board
Why don't you just by LR centre caps instead? then, if it concerns you, just spray paint them with an aerosol paint can or cover them with insulation tape or some other sticky sheet material? I doubt anyone would notice... umm well. On the other hand you could even cover them with Aluminium Tape.

Why don't you just by LR centre caps instead? then, if it concerns you, just spray paint them with an aerosol paint can or cover them with insulation tape or some other sticky sheet material? I doubt anyone would notice... umm well. On the other hand you could even cover them with Aluminium Tape.
I'd notice :)

I didn't plan to put 20" wheels on and not look at them ever again :p

I didn't plan to put 20" wheels on and not look at them ever again :p
OK, can a LR cap be modified in such a way to make it resemble a VW cap? Could a machine shop cut out the face of the caps and replace one face with the other? Could a cap to your satisfaction be Lazer printed?

And the wheels are on. Still not happy with my centre caps, so that continues but...

PXL_20201127_153141508.jpg
PXL_20201127_152936736.jpg
PXL_20201127_153036478.jpg
PXL_20201127_153023972.jpg

There were no problems with fitting, just a mallet to put the hubcentric spacers on the back hubs, and the bolts are spot on. I just need to cut down the locking wheel bolts and fit them myself to replace one bolt on each wheel.

I think the stance is right front to back, it's just a 10mm at the back and no spacer at the front. The tyres could be wider, I would prefer them to appear less stretched, but they look flat when you stand back - 255/40 R20 (101Y) Falken FK510, van lowered on H&R -40mm springs with Koni Sports Active (@CRS Performance red) shocks

Proper pictures when I've finished the other three centre caps!

EDIT: I may as well share now - the wheels were £550 secondhand collected locally, bolts/spacers £160 delivered from LTC. Tyres were £155 a corner, fitted. Oh, and truthfully £9.98 for the touch up paint/lacquer!

Last edited:
Hi,
They look good.
I have just bought some Range Range 20" wheels and planning on having them refurbished in black. Although all new to this and having read your posts worried about the load ratings.
I've ordered some 275/40 tyres for my T6. My next issue is finding some center caps and longer bolts as the ones i have seem to short at 35mm and corroded. Any suggestions that doesn't involve all that you went through, did you find/source any that didn't need modifying? cheers

Back