[GUIDE] How to remove the front door card on a T6

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Can't have too many "how to" threads with pics, so here goes...

Quick steps to remove door card (EDIT: this is the driver's side, but the passenger side is exactly the same steps, just fewer connections)

PXL_20201016_154921543.jpg

1. Prise off trim on handle on door card (little slot to below rear to put a screwdriver in)

PXL_20201016_155152972.jpg

2. Prise up and remove window switch panel (lever up from front edge and work backwards). Remove three connectors (use small screwdriver on clips - the green one can be tight, the others are easy)
PXL_20201016_155230217.jpg
PXL_20201016_155313619.jpg
PXL_20201016_155424347.jpg
3. Then should find two torx screws inside handle, one torx in middle of door card, and turn the two knobs underneath the door card (yes, right down underneath) 90 degrees with a 10mm spanner to match cutouts.
PXL_20201016_155040048.jpg

4. Pull from bottom of door card, working up each side to ping off the three clips each side.

PXL_20201016_155506059.jpg

Last edited:
PXL_20201016_155549730.jpg
5. Once free, lift the card from rear end over the door locking pin.
PXL_20201016_155609320.jpg
6. Don't forget to disconnect the two items attaching the card to the door - one electrical grey cable (squeeze clip with fingers) and door handle cable (pull clip backwards and it comes away towards the door skin.
PXL_20201016_155622068.jpg

7. When putting back on, start at the a-pillar end and make sure the lip of the door card goes over the metal of the door frame nearest the glass. And don't forget the cable connections before you start that bit! Getting the door card over the door locking pin is painful with fat fingers, but once done, push down and all the previous steps can be reversed.

What I love, is there are loads of videos and explanations of taking things apart but for the love of God I cannot get my door card back on followed this guide for taking off and it's perfect, thank you.

I'll try putting door card back on tomorrow in some daylight lol

The trick to getting it back on is to seat the front of the door card first, really firmly in place, exactly like in this picture. Then look through the opening for the window switches and you can see the plastic reinforcement of the front lip of the door card that must go over the metal immediately inside the window. I find it helps to push a screwdriver through that hole to force the edge of the door card over the metal frame. Once it is over, the door card sort of falls into place, except for the damned locking pin. If you're not sure, look through the window from outside and you'll see what I mean. Compare it to the passenger side if you're still not sure.

Further to the above, I found it easier to have the window down and also to start pressing the card down from the front end first.

Managed to get the passenger side done. Thanks. Just on with the driver side and seen this connector, any ideas what it's for??

IMG_20201018_093149.jpg

Managed to get the passenger side done. Thanks. Just on with the driver side and seen this connector, any ideas what it's for??

View attachment 88465
On mine, that's the third antenna lead coming from the wing mirror. I presume it's the GPS antenna and not connected as my van doesn't have Sat Nav, but I haven't actually checked the wiring diagram (because "it ain't broke"!)

Boom, thank you sir! Must have been using the wrong search terms.

trying to figure out if it’s worth the effort to sound deaden the outer skin and find a way to insulate a bit there too

Back