[GUIDE] How to remove the driver's seat from a VW Transporter T6

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Another mini-guide. I had removed the passenger seat first, which helps with access but isn't necessary.
PXL_20210130_123508935.jpg
Disconnect the seat belt latch sensor (I assume that's what it is) and slide the wire clip off the underside of the seat (top right).
Now, if you want to remove the seat from the base, undo the four bolts on top of the rails (slide the seat forward and back to access them) and the seat lifts away.
PXL_20210130_123649318.jpg
To remove the seat and base, wiggle off the same seat belt buckle wire's clip from the bottom of the rail.
PXL_20210130_123754109.jpg
Now you need to detach the handbrake from the seat.

How to remove the handbrake lever and covers from a T6

PXL_20210130_124941197.jpg
Lever the clip under the lever with a flathead tool. Pull the handle cover forward sharply to slide it off.
PXL_20210130_125042603.jpg
Lift the lower handbrake cover up off the pins on the driver's seat and slide it out over the handbrake lever.
PXL_20210130_125301318.jpg
Lower the handbrake to release the pressure on the mounting (make sure you are in gear) and undo the two 14mm nuts to remove the handbrake.

Undo the four 16mm nuts holding the seat to the floor and the driver's seat can now be lifted out of the van with the base
PXL_20210130_130649515.jpg

Last edited:
How do one undo the front two bolts if one only wants to detach the seat from the base?
The seat does not move back enough to be able to get a socket and wrench in there....

I've tried with a regular 13 mm spanner as well, but the sliding rail is not wide enough to fit one in there.

If only the seat would have moved like 1 cm further back it would be doable, but no such luck as the seat hits the dividing wall before then.

Edit: Got them off. Borrowed a slim 13 mm spanner from the neighbour. With lots of tiny rotations the nuts where free.

20230615_161008.jpg

Last edited:
How do one undo the front two bolts if one only wants to detach the seat from the base?
The seat does not move back enough to be able to get a socket and wrench in there....

I've tried with a regular 13 mm spanner as well, but the sliding rail is not wide enough to fit one in there.

If only the seat would have moved like 1 cm further back it would be doable, but no such luck as the seat hits the dividing wall before then.

Edit: Got them off. Borrowed a slim 13 mm spanner from the neighbour. With lots of tiny rotations the nuts where free.

View attachment 202490
1/4in bacho socket set is perfect for these sort of jobs. If I recall correctly I did mine by sliding the seat forward and getting the socket in behind.

View attachment 202490
I don't have a solution if you still have a bulkhead, but glad you got it sorted

Yeah.. it's a local regulation here in Norway. Removing the bulkhead is not allowed :(

Anyway.. as for this guide. I had 3 connectors which needed to be undone: Seat-belt indicator, airbag and seat heater.

Also, as I have a factory mounted webasto, I have a bit more going on under my drivers seat than in this guide, so in order to remover the seat base I had no choice but to remove the seat first.

01.jpg

Back