[GUIDE] How to remove a front door lock barrel and handle from a T6

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Little guide as this is well covered online, but hopefully you'll find this when you need it.
PXL_20201025_130019524.jpgPXL_20201025_130202523.jpgPXL_20201025_130553318.jpg
Peel off the rubber cover on the edge of the door. Inside is a torx bolt. Whilst gently pulling the lock barrel outwards, unscrew the bolt until the barrel comes away. Don't completely unscrew the bolt as it might get lost inside the door.
PXL_20201025_130727476.jpgPXL_20201025_130637214.jpgPXL_20201025_130747014.jpg
Prise out the cable that connects to the door's lock. Then firmly slide the door handle towards the rear of the van until it clicks. The door handle should then be free to pull out of the door.

N.B. If you can avoid taking the handle off the door, do! As the spring swings out into the interior of the door and stops the windows from coming down.

To refit the handle you need to hook the sprung frame back towards you with something, then the handle can be slid firmly towards the front of the van to re-engage the frame. Then reverse the steps to refit the barrel.

The door handle won't work with the barrel out, as the barrel retaining frame stops you pulling on it, so worth avoiding working on the handle unless you need to.
PXL_20201025_170140298.jpg

I very much like your guides. They are well lustrated and wonderful written, with nuanced suggestions, excellent! It is a shame I have felt the need to endorse and write on it. I think that guides such as this, when finished, should be sealed, to keep them clean. Then only the author, allowed to add to them and all other comments removed so that the guide, is there on it own, in its entirety, for future use.

Some apt corrections should be allowed! And a thank you is very much appreciated. Hopefully I won't need to write the entire workshop manual in my time with the van :rolleyes:

Hi. I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone may know what this part is for in my picture. The handle on both front doors needed adjusting, I adjusted the passenger one very easily and quickly, feeling cocky I dived into the driver's door handle but I can only assume I loosened the small screw that secures the barrel too much and all the bits around the barrel fell apart.
I couldn't get my fingers in to put it together and it was getting dark by this point.
One piece of metal was in my way and I needed to get everything back together and lock up for the night.
So basically I managed to remove the bit that was in the way, I have no idea what it actually does, exactly where it sits in the lock and how I get it back in place.
I've attached a pic, any advice would be great.

PXL_20210706_064131511.jpg

Hi. I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone may know what this part is for in my picture. The handle on both front doors needed adjusting, I adjusted the passenger one very easily and quickly, feeling cocky I dived into the driver's door handle but I can only assume I loosened the small screw that secures the barrel too much and all the bits around the barrel fell apart.
I couldn't get my fingers in to put it together and it was getting dark by this point.
One piece of metal was in my way and I needed to get everything back together and lock up for the night.
So basically I managed to remove the bit that was in the way, I have no idea what it actually does, exactly where it sits in the lock and how I get it back in place.
I've attached a pic, any advice would be great.

View attachment 122545
I don't recognise that. Here's the schematic:
Screenshot_20210706-114318.png

I thought it might be something to do with the barrel but the passenger door has one as well

No nothing, I now have the door in pieces and still can't get it fixed, slightly panicking now

It's hard to see but it hooks over two small bits of metal, top and bottom and sits behind the piece of metal that is secured with the barrel itself

1625572123919885158832588378419.jpg

16255721427219136928537713453492.jpg

To refit the handle you need to hook the sprung frame back towards you with something, then the handle can be slid firmly towards the front of the van to re-engage the frame. Then reverse the steps to refit the barrel.

The door handle won't work with the barrel out, as the barrel retaining frame stops you pulling on it, so worth avoiding working on the handle unless you need to.
View attachment 89468
I think you can see it in this picture (above)

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but how did you get this fixed? Mine will not stay in place and falls out every time I try to reassemble it

Thanks in advance

Back