Grabbing brakes. Braking too sharp

Paul1955

Hi all, I bought my 2018 T28 camper van a few weeks ago. I am finding that the brakes are extremely sharp. Just the slightest pressure on the brake pedal brings the brakes on with a vengeance! My wife says it’s my bad driving and hangs on to the grab handles if she thinks I’m going to brake. I’ve never found brakes this sharp before.
does anyone else have brakes like this? Is there a cure for it or is it the same on all T6s.

If it has the larger front brakes (340mm), yes they can be a bit extreme but you’ll get used to it and eventually be glad of the extra stopping force.

I had that with a Mercedes bus that I bought years ago. Upon investigation I found that the front pads were not attached to the backing and were jamming every time the brakes were applied, braking was incredibly good like that though!
Worth a check, mind you my brakes seemed very sharp to me when I first got the T6.

Hi all, I bought my 2018 T28 camper van a few weeks ago. I am finding that the brakes are extremely sharp. Just the slightest pressure on the brake pedal brings the brakes on with a vengeance! My wife says it’s my bad driving and hangs on to the grab handles if she thinks I’m going to brake. I’ve never found brakes this sharp before.
does anyone else have brakes like this? Is there a cure for it or is it the same on all T6s.
What’s the pad / disc wear like? And are they standard pads? Send us a photo of the brakes so we can see if they’re the big brakes or standard.

It took a while for me to get used to the sharpness of my T32 brakes when I bought it new, but I’m either used to them now after 30k miles or they are no longer as sharp…?

For those that have never driven an HGV/LGV type vehicle in the past and jump straight in to a van and expect the braking to be the same as car …then add to the mix you’ve brought a DSG box after being used to 3 peddles are often surprised when applying the brakes….My nephew asked for a go in the van ( with his wife and kids ) after driving up the road to turn round ..stopping suddenly…his wife and kids jump out …with looks of Shock ( he’s not getting a van !!) ….Late braking isn’t advised in a van

Of the 3 T6's I've driven - 2x big brake T32's and a T28 - none of them had noticeably sharp brakes, certainly less so than plenty of other vehicles I've driven but I suppose it depends on what you're used to. Try to adjust for week or so, if its still bothering you maybe there's a forum member near you who could give a comparison? Is your seat adjusted correctly? If you're too close you'll find it harder to modulate brake pressure, most camper conversions I've seen have units preventing the drivers seat going as far back as I have the seat in my Kombi.

What’s the pad / disc wear like? And are they standard pads? Send us a photo of the brakes so we can see if they’re the big brakes or standard.
Haven’t had time to take wheel off but this is the front disc showing through the spokes of 17 inch wheels.

E1D51F0F-3BAF-4C55-B734-84C185841BB6.jpeg

It’s not a DSG and your using your right foot are you?!
I have DSG and that’s how I do it! Just rest my left foot on the footrest and use my right foot only. I’ve always done it that way. What’s wrong with that?

I have DSG and that’s how I do it! Just rest my left foot on the footrest and use my right foot only. I’ve always done it that way. What’s wrong with that?
Nothing, thats correct

Hi paul... so its not just me. My wife did exactly the same! I found braking much earlier helps, but if road is uneven, the breaking beecomes erratic and severe, I.ve been advised to change the pads but not yet done so. I have a t6 t32 caravelle dsg petrol. Apart from the breaks I drive with a smile.

Back