Grab Handle Fixings Knackered

Rookie

T6 Pro
So, I unscrewed the grab handle above the passenger door (to assist in getting behind the headlining), and threads in the fixing plate are now completely knackered :mad: - loads of swarf on the treads of the fixing bolt.

Cannot now fix grab handle back on securely.

Anyone got any suggested solutions??

I don't know what type of fixing VW used but can you use a rivet nut or threaded insert?

Nut sert, otherwise known as a riv nut, or rivet nut.. These are installed with a specific tool, and grips the threaded insert by the crush/clamp method similar to that of a rivet.. This gives you a threaded hole or stud if required.. VERY hand thing to have in your tool box!

Right.. Images from Google, please remove them if there is a problem @Pauly ..

image.jpeg large HD tool for big nut sizes..
image.jpeg standard hand tool for small to medium
image.jpeg a riv nut or rivetnut
image.jpeg showing the tools threaded head, and showing the insert clamped by crushing it..
image.jpeg showing how a riv nut works

Do not use the cheap bolt method, as these nut inserts take some force to crush properly.. Also the tools are cheap, and you will find multiple uses for it, mounting speakers, cupboards, amps etc etc..

Last edited:
Riv nuts are awesome used them a few times on the van. great for getting a fixing somewhere or adding an earth where there isnt one, i popped a couple inside my tailgate when i was playing around with RVC and extra lights etc

The fixings are pretty heavy duty for the grab handle though as they can take quite an excessive force from people swinging around on them so not sure how a riv nut would stand up over time.
Another alternative may be to drill the threads out and use a die to rethread the hole the next size up assuming a larger thread will fit through grab handle, if all else fails you may be able to replace the entire fixing bracket, cant remember how its attached riveted/welded ??

Problem now solved. I tapped out the offending holes to 6mm (original was 5mm) and replaced the bolts.
It is however disappointing that after only one removal this solution was required. I am sceptical that the original was properly tapped out/threaded. My scepticism is in part because on the drivers side (where the grab handle is replaced with a sunglasses holder) the fixing is self tappers, not bolts.

Back