Government ombudsman criticises DVLA over campervan confusion

rod_vw

VIP Member
T6 Legend
A link to an article published on the Out and About Live website recently relating to the seemingly automatic refusal of the DVLA to change the Body Type on their records and a vehicle's V5C to 'Motor Caravan'.

Time will tell if things will change.

Having read the above web page and see that the DVLA say that they have updated the requirements for conversion to Motor Caravan I visited the DVLA page relating to this and see their their form V1006 was last updated in October 2019 (Issue 10/19). Who is pulling whose leg here?
I also notice that on the form it indicates that 'pop-tops' are not acceptable as recognition of a Motor Caravan requirement! Does this mean that a VW California and all other conversions that do not have high roofs cannot be registered as Motor Caravans?

Last edited:
I’m still peeved that they’ve cocked up the ULEZ status on mine because I put a private plate on. Its not rocket science is it. They also appear aloof / uncontactable in the face of problems!

I’m still peeved that they’ve cocked up the ULEZ status on mine because I put a private plate on. Its not rocket science is it. They also appear aloof / uncontactable in the face of problems!
Cocked mine up too. But, knowing what useless knobs they are, I kept a copy of the original V5.

DVLA need culling!

Had the same with a 2020 work van with a private plate, kept getting a fine, rang them up, they say they have up dated their records, ( in writing too) still getting charged, they ow me £24 I was on the auto pay system so I’ve now cancelled that and won’t pay for my next few visits, they are jokers

I’ve just been onto the TfL website to check the ULEZ status of the van and it now seems it is compliant.

It would appear DVLA / TfL have fixed the issue associated with putting a private plate on! Well with my van anyway!

Yep, just had a private plate on mine and the V5 is correct. So hopefully resolved.

Reactions: CAB
Back