Got city braking thingy.....want adaptive cruise control...possible?

New2t6

T6 Pro
title says it all really, I’ve just got new kombi with city emergency braking.....so the wee box is there at the front. Can adaptive cruise be added too....I assume it uses same tech.

This is a very interesting question, technically it should be possible we have scanned a couple MY18 models that came with the city braking and the front radar sensor is the same one used by ACC so half the kit is already there

I'm interested in this too, does the city braking actually work?
I have it on my Volvo too and it's quite unnerving when it intervenes. In my case the car I was following was turning right into a junction but took an eternity to turn. City braking decided I was approaching the car without taking any avoiding action so took over. In the Volvo's case you have to be travelling in excess of 9 MPH.

Add to that if you turn on the front and side warnings (why these aren't turned on as default I don't know) they seem inconsistent at best.

Loads of occasions the front warning should have come on and nothing, had it on 3 times and only one of those I'd say it should have

Seems my MY18 T6 system isn't as clever as my Volvo and only activates under 18 MPH...

I have it on my Volvo too and it's quite unnerving when it intervenes. In my case the car I was following was turning right into a junction but took an eternity to turn. City braking decided I was approaching the car without taking any avoiding action so took over. In the Volvo's case you have to be travelling in excess of 9 MPH.
Funnily enough I experienced it in my Volvo yesterday too. Was driving through Liverpool when a taxi pulled into my lane suddenly and quite close, but not close enough for me to swear, and the car beeped loudly and slammed the brakes on hard. A bit over-enthusiastic but it certainly worked. Also found different settings for it inside a menu, something that doesn't seem to be there on the van.

Also found different settings for it inside a menu, something that doesn't seem to be there on the van

On the T6 you just get ECO, SPORT AND NORMAL - not really sure what the difference is though....

Also found different settings for it inside a menu, something that doesn't seem to be there on the van

On the T6 you just get ECO, SPORT AND NORMAL - not really sure what the difference is though....

I think they refer or how fast you accelerate up to the set speed after being slowed down by a vehicle in front.

I think they refer or how fast you accelerate up to the set speed after being slowed down by a vehicle in front.
No that's the ACC, I'm talking about the City braking. That's the braking that takes place when you're not using cruise.

This is a very interesting question, technically it should be possible we have scanned a couple MY18 models that came with the city braking and the front radar sensor is the same one used by ACC so half the kit is already there
Pauly I have the small square city stop box in the front grill of my new T6 Kombi Hightline. It fitted as standard and wired up is option ordered, or if you have the box is it a done deal I will have city stop ?

I was doing about 70kmh when a white transit pulled out to cross my path 10m in front. I had ACC on as the van was a week old and I was playing with all the toys. By the time I hit the brake the ACC had already prepared the brakes as there was no give in the pedal, it may have even started breaking.

I don't think it's intended for that situation but I stopped just in time. I know in my golf I wouldn't of stood a chance.

I'm interested in this too, does the city braking actually work?

I can confirm it works just fine, but can have it's issues (not that it's a huge problem considering what it can do)
I was on the left lane of 2 lanes. Mine went straight on, and the other was a dedicated right hand turn. A Merc Sprinter was in the right hand turning right, but as I approached to pass him, he turned and the rear of his van must of triggered the sensor because it slammed my brakes on nearly giving me a heart attack. (the van never came into my lane)

Only 2 days ago, I was travelling through Leicester when an old chap came to his junction, looked one way, but not mine, pulled straight out in front on me without even looking. Again, it slammed the brakes on possibly faster than I could of reacted and potentially saving the front of my van.
The lovely old chap didn't even see what happened and carried on with his blissful journey.

I did notice it gives an audible bleep just before it brakes, plus if you are too close to the car in front, theres a warning on my dash telling me.

With the standard of driving seemingly dropping scarily fast lately, these gadgets are a life saver, and I for one thank god I have it.

Pauly I have the small square city stop box in the front grill of my new T6 Kombi Hightline. It fitted as standard and wired up is option ordered, or if you have the box is it a done deal I will have city stop ?
If you have the radar unit you will have 1. city emergency braking.
What is optional over and above that is 2. Front assist for speeds above 30kph and then 3. ACC in 2 varieties, up to 90mph. and up to 130mph

1 is always on 2 is controlled in the mfd and is then on all the time and 3. You operate.

Last edited:
Can it be turned off
I was travelling down a stone drive way at about 10 miles per hour with hedges both sides and slightly down hill and the brakes came on. Totally shocked and then scared to travel at any speed,
Then today a car was turning left and I’m sure there was plenty of room and bang brakes came on again, I scrolled through the computer and turned assist off and then the hazard light appears in the dash constantly flashing. Once I’d turned ignition off then on again it had reset its self to being back on
Could I have a faulty sensor or can it be adjusted
Thanks

Technically, if you alter the ride height or knock the sensor you should have it 4wheel aligned and the radar recalibrated.

It should be possible theoretically, you have most of the hardware present just need to sort the steering wheel buttons
I think the issue would be coding/activation/calibrating, I have seen several posts from other forums for different vehicles where people have tried and failed
I think the stumbling point is the software, AFAIK the process requires ODIS online to complete and of course as soon as you go online with it ODIS will return the info that the vehicle is not equipped with ACC so won’t program it in

My guess/theory is that you would need to put your control module into a vehicle factory equipped with ACC then program it online and then swap it back to your vehicle ??

Back