marls

Just wondered, if I go for black side bars - are they powder coated and therefore fairly easy to scratch the paint off ?

Does anybody know / experienced ?
Thank you.

Not got my van yet but I am going for Stainless Steel as I think black finish could come off

Hi,

Same dilemma... Van is white, currently being converted, awning is black, wheels are black/silver...

So black bars to match awning? I was initially going for silver but conversion company reckoned black would look best...

Only downside to me for black is I don't think they are as visible, e.g. looking at Google image its sometimes difficult to see there are bars even on there, no such case with Silver...

If anyone has a similar setup would appreciate you letting me know what you'v got, picture would be fab...

Thanks.

I'm in the same 'boat'...Candy White arrives soon, black awning ...have gone for the highline style pack (which (also) gives 3 chrome strips on the front I think)...but really want to go with black sidebars. I don't need to decide until the conversion is almost completed. I guess it would look like..
upload_2017-9-25_15-15-46.png

I'm in the same 'boat'...Candy White arrives soon, black awning ...have gone for the highline style pack (which (also) gives 3 chrome strips on the front I think)...but really want to go with black sidebars. I don't need to decide until the conversion is almost completed. I guess it would look like..
View attachment 13742

I thought you'd confused me, as those side bars look silver to me!! But just found the website your picture is from and yep they're black...

Couple of pictures added, only trouble is not really comparing identical vans, but guess gives bit of an idea... Originally thought silver, convertor swayed me to black, got home thought silver, now quite like black from the pictures... Decisions, decisions....

volkswagen-transporter-rear.jpg

wp37493023_05_06.jpg

Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing some VW T6 Chrome Angled/Trapezoid Sidebars for my LWB van. I would like to have them powder coasted black satin (a la Deaky) or in carbon and wondered if anyone could recommend any powder coating workshops in Kent? - I am based near Sevenoaks...

Many thanks in advance.

CZ.

In my experience, one powder coater is as good as the next. Often they don't see a nice VW side bar, or an expensive wheel. It's just an item that needs stripping and coating.

I've used several around the UK and no one company is better than the other.

Hi.

I’m after some OEM style Gloss Black sidebars in stainless steel not mild steel.

I bought these which are powder coated stainless but when they arrived today they were matte, not gloss which was disappointing. Now I can’t find an alternative.

7978ACE2-B6AC-4CB1-BD7F-D529A019D889.jpeg

Any recommendations?

Hi.

I’m after some OEM style Gloss Black sidebars in stainless steel not mild steel.

I bought these which are powder coated stainless but when they arrived today they were matte, not gloss which was disappointing. Now I can’t find an alternative.

View attachment 70934

Any recommendations?

I've got the same bars and I agree, they are more satin than gloss. You might be better off getting those powder coated in Gloss Black. The original powder coating isn't brilliant, and they can chip easily without mud flaps. Mine are 3 years old now and although they still look good, they are quite rusty where the rear wheel blasts chips at the edge of the bars.

Hi

Our black side bars on our T6 have rusted and look a right mess so I’ve taken them off. I was gonna look for a powder coating firm but might just buy new ones. Any recommendations of suppliers? I’ve seen Leighton Vans..any others?

HI there guys bumped into a guy i use to work with he is like me a hoarder and a classic car nut. so he said he had a few vw odds and sods which means they will be rareish and oddball .so and when i got to his lagre garage --- small warehouse at his farm, and he ran through stuff he wished to part with now i never thought i would ever see a set of genuine vw sidebars never mind seen 5 sets. so it was rude not to ask . so ended up with a set which look amazing .but i,m thinking of getting them powder coated black as my van is silver window van. so it,ll break the colour a little hopefully. any thoughts has anyone else changed there bars to black. i,m a very happy man. yes they were expensive but life s to short . pictures to follow if i can borrow my wifes phone.

Mine were powder coated Black and lasted a few years which is totally acceptable i think.
I've recently had them painted again, but not powder, this time its out of a gun in a bodyshop, so they could be done Factory Pearl Gloss Black. I put my longevity down to front mud flaps.

Oh thanks that's good to know, as I have no mudflaps on mine yet. Do you know what the paintcode was / is ? Even the wife likes them she's like a fxxking magpie. Likes shiny things so I,ll probably need to get another set and put them on her van. Oh and where did you get them wired into. Regards Paul.

I have the oem chrome side bars in very nice nick. But I want them black. Has anyone sucessfully painted these or is it best to powder coat or wrap them ? Unless someone wants to swop ??

Whatever you coat them in will chip and as its chrome underneath they will look terrible. Better off putting the refinishing cost into a black pair and sell your chrome ones.

Ok What are they Black ones coated with Paint or powder or other?
Mostly powder coated, the Van style ones are powder coated and decent quality. The leading edges can suffer on any side bars though from stones etc getting thrown at them by the front wheels, unless you have some decent mud flaps.

Back