Going up in the world....

Vinci

Residential Surveyor
T6 Guru
Anyone any idea of how much/how you can "lift" a van within/and using the current suspension settings without affecting the manufacturers warranty?

@T6 Dave would you have any info relating to this question with you being a very knowledgeable person with anything mechanical and the love of off-road vehicles ;)

Cheers @andythom188 :p:D wouldn't like to guess what wouldn't affect the warranty with VW, all I can suggest is pose the question to VW technical, it's possible that it's the same or similar to any lift kits for the t5 ? Just bear in mind driveshaft angles and C of G for side slope etc... Probable advisable to increase the tyre width as well for stability? Many hours ahead in research... Could this be the one area of mods that the transporter is short in?:thumbsdown:

Two references spring to mind:
The first being VB Air
http://www.vbairsuspension.com/upload/files/00001946.pdf
It looks like they are happy at a 30mm raise is standard running, it will go higher and lower, but it is linked to the can-bus on the vehicle, so as you increase speed the vehicle will lock out the very high and very low settings. This is how VB can offer a LONO letter, which effectively says VW are happy this will not effect the warrantee. I guess if you go above 30mm with the suspension, the drive shafts may suffer
The second being Delta
The VW Van Sixth Edition: VW T6 Multi-Van by delta4x4: delta Geländesport und Zubehör Handels GmbH
They talk about a Bilstein 25mm lift, and up sizing your tyres to give a further 25mm lift (which you could also do with VB Air); the tyre sizing being 255/55/18 0r 245/65/17 or similar. I don't think Delta/Bilsteien can offer a LONO (Letter of Non-objection from VW), but they are both reputable companies, and if VB can offer a 30mm lift, it would seem that Delta 25mm should be OK.

The stability of the vehicle does not come from tyre width alone, but from the distance to the outer edge of the tyre (the pivot point), so wheel spacers/greater off set wheels; combined with the section width of the tyre, gives you the stability; combined with a lower centre of gravity of your loading placed centrally in the van.

so it would seem that +25mm/30mm suspension + 25mm tyres = +50mm raise could well be your answer.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just a note of caution, I have run 255/55/18 on my T5, which is a 7.5% increase in gearing; I had 240bhp and 530NM and you could still tell the gearing had been altered.
I am currently running 235/60/17 tyres (3.5% increase in gearing) on a 204bhp/450NM dsg and that seems fine.
But I do love big tyres, and might go back to the larger tyres one day:thumbsup::)

Here's another imagehttp://www.delta4x4.de/en/news/latestnews/offroad-tires-for-the-vw-multivan-t6.html
I really love the wheel with the protection rim, which makes the rim look larger:thumbsup:

Last edited:
My Pleasure. Please share with us all, if you do decide to; go up in the world:thumbsup:

Will do.....may be a while as the realisation of costs to do stuff gives me palpitations, but definitely want the lifted look, probably with 16" steel wheels or Method or Hutchinson.....but the costs keep heading up for some reason!
Business wrap first....it needs to start earning its living!!

Will do.....may be a while as the realisation of costs to do stuff gives me palpitations, but definitely want the lifted look, probably with 16" steel wheels or Method or Hutchinson.....but the costs keep heading up for some reason!
Yep, it all certainly does add up quickly.
I keep looking at these
BF Goodrich Tyres / SUV 4x4 / BF Goodrich ATKO2 All Terrain TA BF Goodrich AT KO2 - 225/65 R17 LT 107S TL Fuel Eff.: F Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 74dB SUV Tyres - 4x4 Tyres - All Terrain Tyres - Off Road Tyres - 17" R17" - 225/65/17, 225/65R17
about 4.5% larger, so should be OK gearing wise. I've already got 3 different sets of tyres for my T6, the Mrs thinks I need some help???:confused::confused::confused:

Anyone any idea of how much/how you can "lift" a van within/and using the current suspension settings without affecting the manufacturers warranty?
If you look at the Seikel site they do a kit that offers a CNO ( certificate of no objection from VW ) they also have a Data sheet that shows you all the various wheels and tires sizes and the possible effect to suspension and drivetrain etc.
They used to be available as a VW option a few years ago. I'm considering a kit.
Edit: here is the datasheet

Attachments

• Höherlegungswerte_T5-T6_2016-07_engl.pdf
    80 KB · Views: 47
Yep, it all certainly does add up quickly.
I keep looking at these
BF Goodrich Tyres / SUV 4x4 / BF Goodrich ATKO2 All Terrain TA BF Goodrich AT KO2 - 225/65 R17 LT 107S TL Fuel Eff.: F Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 74dB SUV Tyres - 4x4 Tyres - All Terrain Tyres - Off Road Tyres - 17" R17" - 225/65/17, 225/65R17
about 4.5% larger, so should be OK gearing wise. I've already got 3 different sets of tyres for my T6, the Mrs thinks I need some help???:confused::confused::confused:
I've used those a few times in the past and were always my favourite, speed rating is the only issue for me.

I've used those a few times in the past and were always my favourite, speed rating is the only issue for me.
Nice Little chart that Seikle do.
It looks like Seikle offer either Monroe or Bilstein shockers as their solution, I guess the springs are their own.
Interesting that Seikle get to the same +25/30mm suspension lift, they also mention that there may be some reduction in drive shaft service life.

All Terrain Tyre sizes are quite difficult with a T6, Delta mention the 245/65/17 an 8% increase in gearing, I wonder how that would feel with the 204 dsg???, might be OK?

The BFG AT Ko2 have an S speed rating = 112mph, not enough?, GO YOU:thumbsup::):thumbsup:

I like your style - a LOT!

@chriscroft - the top speed of a Cali (probably about the same for a Velle/Transporter) 204 is 123mph; that's a lot for a mini house on wheels!

Spotted this in a motorhome mag; I'm in love!

140513_lastrada_regents4x4_035.jpg

I like your style - a LOT!

@chriscroft - the top speed of a Cali (probably about the same for a Velle/Transporter) 204 is 123mph; that's a lot for a mini house on wheels!

Spotted this in a motorhome mag; I'm in love!

View attachment 7186
These Sports Homes are fab, much better than a motorhome made like a fiber glass tub.
The new VW Crafter is out, and from what I have read will take a big slice away from the Merc Sprinter in the leisure market with 4*4 etc etc, and Galvanised.

Last edited:
Regarding tyre speed rating,I know many winter tyres and AT tyres are speed rated below the standard tyre for the vehicle or its max theoretical speed. For me its only ever a quick call to the insurers, and when I mention it's a terrain specific tyre there is never a problem or cost. You regularly see Range rover V8's diesels or petrols with AT tyres way below the speed ratings of the vehicle.
Of course if you travel above 112mph in your T6 .............
My T5 at 100mph felt like it was on the safe comfortable limit. But the T6 at 105mph feels absolutely rock steady, so I guess 123mph, would be absolutely fine in a T6.... and then some..;)

Regarding tyre speed rating,I know many winter tyres and AT tyres are speed rated below the standard tyre for the vehicle or its max theoretical speed. For me its only ever a quick call to the insurers, and when I mention it's a terrain specific tyre there is never a problem or cost. You regularly see Range rover V8's diesels or petrols with AT tyres way below the speed ratings of the vehicle.
Of course if you travel above 112mph in your T6 .............
My T5 at 100mph felt like it was on the safe comfortable limit. But the T6 at 105mph feels absolutely rock steady, so I guess 123mph, would be absolutely fine in a T6.... and then some..;)
I did 115 in the T5.1 Cali... :whistle: Abroad of course.

Would be great if the Crafter did come out with decent power and AWD; I saw a converted Sprinter similar to the one pictured on Galicia and really liked it but they are mostly only 2 berth.
Don't need another camper; love ours but I'm always looking around at what's available. The next size up could be useful one day.
Not impressed with motorhomes in general - all FWD and all with utterly pathetic little engines.

I did 115 in the T5.1 Cali... :whistle: Abroad of course.

Would be great if the Crafter did come out with decent power and AWD; I saw a converted Sprinter similar to the one pictured on Galicia and really liked it but they are mostly only 2 berth.
Don't need another camper; love ours but I'm always looking around at what's available. The next size up could be useful one day.
Not impressed with motorhomes in general - all FWD and all with utterly pathetic little engines.
From what my dealer said the new Crafter is soooo much better than the old one which was a collaboration with Merc.
We've got an Autotrail Mohawk motorhome, and its nice in terms of its accommodation, but the build quality and longevity is sh!t. It has always got a damp issue according to the dealer when it has its annual habitation service, and the bloody walls have soft wood in cavity; this is from the UK's largest Motorhome builder really....... bloody untreated(ish) soft wood. total pants. A bespoke Crafter 4*4 Sports Home would be our ideal solution, but it would probably cost £90k all in.............., and we would still need the Vel....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

From what my dealer said the new Crafter is soooo much better than the old one which was a collaboration with Merc.
We've got an Autotrail Mohawk motorhome, and its nice in terms of its accommodation, but the build quality and longevity is sh!t. It has always got a damp issue according to the dealer when it has its annual habitation service, and the bloody walls have soft wood in cavity; this is from the UK's largest Motorhome builder really....... bloody untreated(ish) soft wood. total pants. A bespoke Crafter 4*4 Sports Home would be our ideal solution, but it would probably cost £90k all in.............., and we would still need the Vel....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is awful how bad both motorhomes and caravans are with build quality. Seems the British ones are some of the worst too. Can't understand how they get away with it!
Yep I'm sure an all singing, all dancing Crafter AWD motorhome would head towards six figures but I reckon it would be damned good.

If you go to the Dusseldorf Motorhome Exhibition which is at the end of August every year you will see these and Sprinter 4x4 vehicles for sale with different converters as ordinary M/Homes with more ability and some serious off road prepped ones as well, but as you say tyey all start at £90k and that was 2yrs ago.
Great exhibition to go to makes Earls Court look like a section of he 15 halls all with moving walkways overhead, great camp site, showers, live music each night, free bus service into Dusseldorf old town all day up until about 11pm, really is well worth a trip.

Back