Going Faster Around Corners...

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
Right, I've had the B14s and 18" wheels (Momo Revenge 8.5 x 18" std ET) then H&R ARBs so now go round bends to the point where all of the campervan accessories ie. pots, pans, kettle and cutlery are turning into debris in their respective cupboards, thing is after a couple of thousand miles it's already shredding the "Ditchfinder Hero" tyres on the front and it occurred to me today that maybe I'm going to lunch the wheel bearings prematurely too?

If it helps illuminate the mindset here though, while admiring Agnes parked up today at Ivinghoe Beacon I couldn't help thinking that the back wheels did still look a little bit shy hiding under the arches a bit more than the front wheels did in their respective arches however wheel spacers will surely increase my fears of the previous paragraph further so my questions would be, do I rotate the wheels and wear out all four Ditchfinders instead of just the front two and what size spacers and where from, plus will I need longer bolts including security ones?:whistle:

Right, I've had the B14s and 18" wheels (Momo Revenge 8.5 x 18" std ET) then H&R ARBs so now go round bends to the point where all of the campervan accessories ie. pots, pans, kettle and cutlery are turning into debris in their respective cupboards, thing is after a couple of thousand miles it's already shredding the "Ditchfinder Hero" tyres on the front and it occurred to me today that maybe I'm going to lunch the wheel bearings prematurely too?

If it helps illuminate the mindset here though, while admiring Agnes parked up today at Ivinghoe Beacon I couldn't help thinking that the back wheels did still look a little bit shy hiding under the arches a bit more than the front wheels did in their respective arches however wheel spacers will surely increase my fears of the previous paragraph further so my questions would be, do I rotate the wheels and wear out all four Ditchfinders instead of just the front two and what size spacers and where from, plus will I need longer bolts including security ones?:whistle:

Have you had the van Hunter aligned?

I went the same route as you and chewed more tyres than a formula 1 season, until we found the alignment was way out. I'm still on the same set of tyres 20k later, against as little as 4000 miles before the alignment work.

As for bearings wearing out prematurely, I'm 50k in with B14s and ARBs and no issues with mine.
I carry more weight than a camper and spank the pants out of my suspension way too much, but she copes just fine.

@Tourershine and I had the wheels aligned after the wheels and B14s were fitted in May but not again when the ARBs went on a month ago, the shredding is even across the tread, realistically it's what's going to happen when you push on through a corner in an heavy van just short of squealing the tyres!

Noted on your wheel bearings, cheers, my van's a T28 so the bearings are possibly a bit more delicate, realistically at some point I'll get over the novelty of charging through corners so reducing the level of wear and giving me time to save up for some new tyres.

@highwaycollective When it comes to spacers it sounds like 20/25mm then, any particular supplier and again my bolts will be up to 25mm short now so new bolts by the sound of it?

Cheers chaps

Try and keep to premium branded spacers, I've ran H&Rs for years and they are spot on. A lot of cheaper ones have been known to crack... Remember it's the hub of your wheel taking the load so it's best not to scrimp for safety reasons.

Re bolts, make sure they are the correct load rating also, lots of crap ones out there too...

I purchased these and am very happy with them.

EBAY LINK

Yes me too many times on different vehicles i always use these as they are top quality and never had an issue fully recommend this product
dont be fooled by Big name brands

Always seems strange to me that people spend 30,40,50k etc on a vehicle and then save 50 quid on the joint that holds the wheels on.

Each to their own :)

Always seems strange to me that people spend 30,40,50k etc on a vehicle and then save 50 quid on the joint that holds the wheels on.

Each to their own :)

Agree entirely with the above, and the logic can be applied from spacers to everything else like tyres, suspension, wheels, etc, etc.

Where I challenge you is the logic that something has to be a known brand or expensive in order for it to be good quality. It simply isn’t true. There are loads of sketchy spacers out there, but the ones in the link I posted are fantastic quality, and shouldn’t be considered inferior just because they are not supplied by a big brand.

Many people find buying a know brand reassuring, and there is obviously nothing wrong with that. There are also plenty other good options out there though, and like you say, each to their own.

Agree entirely with the above, and the logic can be applied from spacers to everything else like tyres, suspension, wheels, etc, etc.

Where I challenge you is the logic that something has to be a known brand or expensive in order for it to be good quality. It simply isn’t true. There are loads of sketchy spacers out there, but the ones in the link I posted are fantastic quality, and shouldn’t be considered inferior just because they are not supplied by a big brand.

Many people find buying a know brand reassuring, and there is obviously nothing wrong with that. There are also plenty other good options out there though, and like you say, each to their own.
Completely agree, I'm not one for splashing cash for a brand name.

I'm not saying they are inferior because they don't have a brand name, I'm saying that they are inferior because it's impossible to make them to the right standard for that price.

No doubt there are expensive crap spacers also but the H&R ones are excellent genuinely for the money. I'm a fussy engineer type mind not a normal person :D

RedUn i am a retired engineer and was working in every level small and large , i would never use inferior products
so i visited the place in question Watfields in Barnsley (25 miles from me)
in their listing on ebay they say..
....All our custom-made spacers and adapters are manufactured from 6082 T6 Solid billet Aluminium and machined by our skilled Engineers at our Barnsley HQ....
i was very impressed they are top quality and so it is possible to make them for the right price obviously in Barnsley they do just that
i have had them on my Audi A8 for 7 years and are still spot on front and rear
i have them on my Caravelle too front and rear
the oem quality bolts they sell are excellent quality too and of course i use them also
ok so yes there might be some crap ones out there but i can assure you they are not coming from Barnsley

If it helps I got a pair from the link @highwaycollective posted, cheers chap, and after two weeks of epic swervery the wheels still haven't fallen off!

Have to say they're pretty shiny and come with some splendid bolts too, fitted quickly and easily which was good as I had forgotten how quickly my ageing trolley jack would recycle its oil back to the reservoir... yes, I had an axle stand... give me some credit... correct, couldn't find the other one.:oops:

Completely agree, I'm not one for splashing cash for a brand name.

I'm not saying they are inferior because they don't have a brand name, I'm saying that they are inferior because it's impossible to make them to the right standard for that price.

No doubt there are expensive crap spacers also but the H&R ones are excellent genuinely for the money. I'm a fussy engineer type mind not a normal person :D
I'm an Engineer also, and the TUV or similar stamp means a lot to me, and adds value.

what does everyone do regarding a locking wheel bolt. is it possible to buy a set of 2 longer bolts?

I would normally recommend McGards but no doubt someone will be along saying you can get something similar from McDonald's :D

Locking bolts , the ones above are from Watfields in Barnsley again !
but they are tapered Not radius
I've had mine a long time but i will try and find some, i might have my reciept so will check
they only come in a set of 4 im afraid

Back