Going Abroad - EHU advice needed

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
We are venturing into deepest darkest Europe with our van in a month. This will be our first time abroad in it.

Are the hook up sockets the same as here?

Been all over Europe on motorbikes so have never had to use a hook up there before .

Many thanks :thumbsup:

You’ll need a euro to commando adapter as well.

We are venturing into deepest darkest Europe with our van in a month. This will be our first time abroad in it.

Are the hook up sockets the same as here?

Been all over Europe on motorbikes so have never had to use a hook up there before .

Many thanks :thumbsup:
Pretty much universal now, but you might come across a 2 pin one occasionally so take an adapter. Easy enough to make your own or get one off ebay.

Take long EHU cables(s) as sockets are often much further from plots than here in the UK, a two or three way slitter is often handy especially in France where there are not enough sockets to go around.
Swiss outlets are unique to the country but sites often loan an adaptor.
Polarity seems to be of no consequence in most places so a short reversing link cable is a good thing to carry along with a tester to check polarity if your van is not equipped with a built in one.

We took the caravan to europe and used our standard 25m hookup cable but always tested the polarity. I made up a reversing cable like Rod_Vw says that we used several times as it seems polarity is random over there. Happy holidays

We did our first EU trip last year Santander up to St Malo.
14 nights at pre selected and random sites.
CAMC affiliated sites all easy as well as the bigger/posher sites regarding EHU.
With some of the smaller/less organised sites we had a few problems with tripping the mains!
Much to the obvious discontent of the neighbours who were on the same EHU.
We suspect, after some great advice from more knowledgeable folks, that some sites have a lower
voltage supply than others. We think our van/battery was quite greedy/wobbly and so it caused the tripping
as soon as we hooked up.
Never had an issue in this country....yet!
Enjoy and ...Bon Voyage!

We did our first EU trip last year Santander up to St Malo.
14 nights at pre selected and random sites.
CAMC affiliated sites all easy as well as the bigger/posher sites regarding EHU.
With some of the smaller/less organised sites we had a few problems with tripping the mains!
Much to the obvious discontent of the neighbours who were on the same EHU.
We suspect, after some great advice from more knowledgeable folks, that some sites have a lower
voltage supply than others. We think our van/battery was quite greedy/wobbly and so it caused the tripping
as soon as we hooked up.
Never had an issue in this country....yet!
Enjoy and ...Bon Voyage!

Kettles, Irons,Fan Heaters etc can easily trip older European sites, more so in France than elsewhere these days.
Also that is where I’ve found the most variations in socket & plug types, but over the years I’ve collected a number of various connectors & also as an outside take a few different hose to tap connectors as these can vary but more in the older sites .

We’ve just arrived at our Amsterdam site, plugged in and find that the polarity light on the van panel has come on.

As we are here for 5 days - I’ve just read up about this and will either make up a short extension lead which effectively swaps L and N, or I’ll just swap the wires on the plug.
I’m only running a fridge and lights, no kettle’s or other appliances to put my fingers into.

Firstly do the experts on here agree that this is the way to resolve it?

Secondly
If I cant do this until tomorrow will it cause any damage to my vans electrical system.

Last edited:
I'm sure I read a post by @Loz from many months ago saying he has made some short cables that swap the polarity over for his trip abroad.
Even if I'm wrong he is knowledgeable and can probably answer your question.

Well I am happy to be told I am wrong but my understanding was that you could basically ignore the warning and not do anything. Many French sites show up as reverse polarity and I don’t worry about it.
In all my years nothing detrimental has ever happened but, as I say, I am no expert so happy to be corrected.

Thread that I thing is being referred to:- Tripping campsite electrics

Only problem with rewiring your cable is that there is no guarantee the next continental site will be wired the same. You can just get or make a short lead up that reverses to go between your existing hook cable up and the post or you van for about a tenner - no use to you now though - sorry.

Thanks guys.
@Nigel thx for your experience, that’s reassuring.
@DnJ I will correct it, probably using a short “switching” lead. My concern was about any possible harm to the electrics. :thumbsup:

Most kit you plug in is double insulated and switch mode these days so won't make a lot of difference, so don't lose any sleep over it.
The Cali has a dual RCBO so it will trip either way if it needs to.

Most kit you plug in is double insulated and switch mode these days so won't make a lot of difference, so don't lose any sleep over it.
The Cali has a dual RCBO so it will trip either way if it needs to.

Thanks Loz

:thumbsup:

37A510FF-BD76-490E-9F4E-8D20562F04C6.jpeg Thanks guys, now all sorted, polaritylightnow off.

I made up a short lead, swapping L & N over in one of the plugs

Many thanks to the gentlemen at POPTOP CAMPERS, who had just what I needed in stock, 2 plugs a lead and a screwdriver!!! all for the princely sum of €3.

So if ever you are in this part of the world lol them up. It like a VW camper sweetshop in there. :thumbsup:

Linky

Would it have been cheaper just to buy the screwdriver and fix the polarity in the socket :)
But at least you have it in stock now for the next time.

Last edited:
Ha ha You tight wad. :p

At least I’m sorted now :thumbsup:

Anyway...

Polarity switching lead for sale, available from next week
only £5

:rofl: :rofl:

T
View attachment 20898 Thanks guys, now all sorted, polaritylightnow off.

I made up a short lead, swapping L & N over in one of the plugs

Many thanks to the gentlemen at POPTOP CAMPERS, who had just what I needed in stock, 2 plugs a lead and a screwdriver!!! all for the princely sum of €3.

So if ever you are in this part of the world lol them up. It like a VW camper sweetshop in there. :thumbsup:

Linky
his the best way,in Europe they don’t bother which way the have live and neutral so a cross over cable is required,you can also buy a crossover stitch

Back