glow plug change - 2016 t6 CR150

Ukfozzybear

OBDii User
T6 Guru
I have downloaded the removal guide (thanks) for torque and identification of the failing plug.

Has anyone changed a glow plug themselves, I'm just wondering about the best way to remove the intercooler to get to the plugs.

Don't really want to drop all the water if i can help it, just wondering if anyone has attempted it previously.
thx

I looked at it once to take them out to put anti seize on the threads . Looked at it for about 30 minutes and gave up as no easy access.

You could potentially disconnect the air hoses and swing the cooler up and leave the water attached?
Beware though, the Air hoses are supposed to be replaced if they are removed but some don't.

If you can buy a pair of cheap brake hose clamps, clamp off the coolant hoses that way you’ll only lose some water by totally removing the cooler

Wait - the intercooler has water going through it? Looks like a air to air intercooler for the turbo charger to me????

I have need up paying a garage to have the hassle.
Yes it’s a water intercooler and it’s a bugger if you get air in the system.

I have need up paying a garage to have the hassle.
Yes it’s a water intercooler and it’s a bugger if you get air in the system.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like its probably quite a big job that could go horribly wrong. I'll do the same and take it to the garage then.

Changed mine today and its Actually not that hard, took 2 hours, but if I had to do it again it could be done in under a hour,

My Passat had one go last weekend. I paid my garage to replace all four, as the car is at 210k miles, so I guess once one goes it could only be a matter of time before the others go. He managed one, then broke the threads on the second and gave up after attempting the third, but referred me to a guy up the road who has tools and experience to do the rest.
Good to hear you managed it successfully but as others has said, I'm happy to have someone else do the hard work.

Back