Glovebox lock barrel removal

Sturge

IT Support
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just trying to remove the barrel from my glovebox lock to replace it into a new glovebox. Can’t work out how to do it
Any ideas?

image.jpg

Lol....

I've been pondering this conundrum for month a many, prey tell.?

It pushes out from the back. Leave the key in though or the tumblers will fall out.

Oh.....?

Ok. So unlock and push the baral out from the back?

Prize the front off the black plastic block where it swivels, put the key in and i use a little bit of heat to bend the 4 tabs out then push barrel out and a little heat to bend then back. Done a couple now for my own and a lock set change :thumbsup:

Thanks. I’ll have another go tomorrow. I twisted and pushed and pulled but obviously not in the right combination !!

9F5D3766-B787-4AC1-9687-A93E7B870156.jpeg9B720236-018A-4F7E-A9F7-D8B374C45827.jpeg762EBFD0-20B4-4F11-BBA1-C603C81AEF83.jpeg
This had me foxed for a bit. To remove catch - small T20 screw RH side of catch. The black part rocks on a spring, rock it back and insert key and turn to lock position. This holds it back and it can then be popped off from its pivots. This exposes the four plastic pegs holding barrel. Keep key inserted to hold in tumblers. Heat up plastic pegs to soften. I used workbench to squeeze the outside of the catch against to back of metal barrel (see pic with key in). My top-tip is to clamp a 20mm open end spanner over the front of the catch, so the barrel can pop out between the jaws. If it’s a second hand lock and you don’t have the key, it will still pop out but the tumblers spill out.
Reassembly is a lot easier, it all clicks back together. Refitting to new glove box lid hole is fiddly, needs to be done with the catch in open position. I used the key in locked posn to hold the black bit back (as above).

Last edited:
Managed to get the lock out. Struggling to get it back in,so it’s flush with facia. Any special tricks to make it sit flush?

From memory and my comments above. It was bit of a struggle. I found that it slotted back in while pulling the catch to the open position or fit the key and turn to lock position while the catch is pulled open. This changes its shape a bit and can be wiggled back in.

I had resigned myself to having to do without a locking glove box till I found this post, all changed over and spot on.

Back