Gloss Lower Grille Parking Sensor fit?

Rossi17

Hi, Has anyone brought the gloss black lower grille and made the holes for the parking sensors?
I’ve brought the lower grille with radar cut out from travelinlite but it don’t have the holes for the parking sensors ☹ Is it an easy job? Is it just drilling the hole? Will the plastic crack? Also the front sensors aren’t perfectly round it’s like the top and bottom have been squared off!

Thanks Jayjmac seems straight forward, why the holes are not already in like the braking sensor is i never know.

Who knows. its pretty simple I think. I haven't got front sensors... not that posh :whistle:

Morning. Just unpacked my gloss grille and no parking sensor holes, gutted! The link above doesn't work, can you post again @Jayjmac and how did you get on @Rossi17 ?

Hi,
Yeah it was quite straight forward the only prob I had was shaping the new sensor holes flat at top and bottom with a file but turned out ok.
The link above I haven’t got but the description was something like this;
HOW TO DRILL SENSOR HOLE IN LOWER GRILLE

Next I removed the lower grille, which is in 3 sections ,the two outside sections have the parking sensors in which is a simple job of dis-connecting the plug in connectors.
Because my new grille did not have the aperture in it for the sensor I had to fabricate a elongated into the new gloss section of grille.
Firstly I removed the sensor from the old grille ,again the filling knife came in handy to assist in releasing the sticky tape holding the sensor on , I then marked the position of the elongated hole onto the new grille .
Then with a new 25mm spade bit in my cordless drill ,from the rear of the grille I drilled the hole. then with a circular rasp file I had to elongate the hole in a horizontal fashion until the sensor fitted. Once this was achieved I fitted the sensor's into the new holes with double sided tape , re connected the plug in clips and fitted the new 3 piece grille into place.

@Lukefx - did you end up doing this? I need to do exactly the same and would love to know if you had success!?
Hello Dan, yeah I did and it was quite easy in the end. I used one of those flat wide drill bits about 20mm across and then a hand rasp file that's flat on one side and rounded on the other and it turned out alright. Bloody annoying they don't have the holes already though!

Thanks a million @Lukefx - I have been searching high and low for a pre-drilled product that doesn’t exist - so yet again I am grateful for this forum and for your comments. I’ll give it a blast. Cheers.

Thanks a million @Lukefx - I have been searching high and low for a pre-drilled product that doesn’t exist - so yet again I am grateful for this forum and for your comments. I’ll give it a blast. Cheers.
No problem. Put masking tape on both sides when you're drilling to mark the centre and protect the plastic. Good luck!

Not sure if you've done this yet, but I just did this today. Used the 20mm flat drill bit for the hole, then tried a rasp on one side. Found that a bit fiddly to be honest as i tend to shake a bit too much for that kind of fine work, so tried a 20mm flapper drill bit on the other side and found that worked much better

Not sure if you've done this yet, but I just did this today. Used the 20mm flat drill bit for the hole, then tried a rasp on one side. Found that a bit fiddly to be honest as i tend to shake a bit too much for that kind of fine work, so tried a 20mm flapper drill bit on the other side and found that worked much better
Thanks for sharing this @Village - that gives me some confidence that another forum member has had luck. I just need to trace some textured grilles now, then I'll get stuck in.

If I can revive this thread. I’m a bit confused as to what drill size to use. As one mentioned a 25mm but a couple have mentioned a 20mm bit. This is on my list of jobs to do

If I can revive this thread. I’m a bit confused as to what drill size to use. As one mentioned a 25mm but a couple have mentioned a 20mm bit. This is on my list of jobs to do
I did 20mm and bored it out a bit. Didn’t measure the final hole but I’d guess it was 22-24mm. Would have thought 25mm bit would be fine but less room for error

Thanks. I’ve ordered the replacement brackets as I’d like to do this prior to the body shop doing the rest of the work I’m having done. I take it I only need the holes shaping to accommodate the brackets?

Hi all.
Doing this now.
What did you do with this bit which is in the old grill.
I presume it’s needed for the new grills but I can’t get it out.

IMG_4661.jpeg

Back