Genuine roof bar speed limit BEWARE

Thanks Pete I will
On mine the pointy end is pointing backwards which one would assume is less aero

I assume that the "right" side of the cross bar should be on the drivers side in a right hand drive vehicle?

To create less drag (turbulence) the thin edge is the trailing edge.

Looking at your original pictures, I think the bars are on back-to-front.
Whether this makes a material difference or not I don't know.

One thing to note is what roofbox.co.uk say on this:

"A specific watersports carrier will make carrying your gear much easier. The aim of this note is to persuade you that kayaks (or boats etc) should always, also, be tied to the carrying vehicle at both bow and stern.
Untied kayaks have, in our experience, the greatest potential for a roof bar or kayak carrier failure. The massive forces that untied kayaks can generate have even been known to snap roof bar fixing bolts with the result that a complete assembly of roof bars and kayaks has ended up on the road. We know that this has happened with almost every brand of roof bar, and regardless of whether the kayaks are on a special carrier or just strapped to the bars.
You need to fix bow and stern lines, probably using the front and rear screw-in towing eyes to get strong and accessible fixing points on the vehicle.
"

This text is accompanied by a picture of a kayak on a roof rack, with the bow and stern tied to the front and back of the vehicle, aswell as strapped to the rack.

I know you were carrying surfboards, but I think the principle is the same. Things like roof boxes will be designed to limit the lifting forces that might damage roof bars and racks, but water sports equipment definitely isn't, hence the problem.

I suspect the root cause of your issue was that the roof bars were not tightened sufficiently. You have sorted that by the sound of it.

I think going forward, we just have to really careful about carrying water sports equipment on a roof rack.

Pete

Thanks Pete... noted
I can confirm that the cross bar clamp marked R is attached to the passenger side rail, marked L
Looks like they put them on the wrong way round as suspected by OMTEC themselves but DXX this would mean that the leading edge should be the thinner end.

I suspect that roof rack aerodynamics are relatively unimportant on a vehicle shaped like a brick, carrying things on its roof that don’t normally fly :p
I would love to know why Omtec tell us to mount them that way, but their markings are very explicit as to what goes where.

Edited to say perhaps they are quieter that way round.

Pete

Thanks Pete... noted
I can confirm that the cross bar clamp marked R is attached to the passenger side rail, marked L
Looks like they put them on the wrong way round as suspected by OMTEC themselves but DXX this would mean that the leading edge should be the thinner end.
No I meant the leading edge is the round end, the trailing edge is what affects the drag.

I think I got mine on EBay. You need to choose carefully though, as not all are Omtec, even if they look like they are.

Pete

I think I got mine on EBay. You need to choose carefully though, as not all are Omtec, even if they look like they are.

Pete
I See that they all look similar and rate it at 20-40 KG max load.
Cheap knock off
Can't even find any ebay seller as nothing comes up with SKU number and brand. OMTEC
disappointing to say the least

I See that they all look similar and rate it at 20-40 KG max load.
Cheap knock off
Can't even find any ebay seller as nothing comes up with SKU number and brand. OMTEC
disappointing to say the least
I'll try with WV tomorrow )))

Thanks Pete... noted
Get some decent thread lock for when you flip them round, we'll worth it :thumbsup:

@Dig It’s definitely the thin edge trailing. The load ratings quoted are for vertical static loads, they do not take drag into account.
Drag is exponential to velocity so as an example the drag force will increase x4 for a doubling in speed, x9 for tripling the speed.....
Something has to give, why I keep a good distance from cars on motorways with giant roof loads.
9DAD2A18-A700-484F-BF95-3DBF72858A21.jpeg

As @DXX says thin edge trailing. If you think of a water droplet falling, then it doesn't stay spherical. But it falls with a rounded end at the bottom and a pointy end at the top. This is the most aerodynamical shape.

You are both logically correct, but Omtec definitely want you to fit them narrow edge forward.

Pete

Thule aero bars go round end forwards, like a aeroplane wing. I don't see why these should be different.

Reactions: Ozi
Thin edge leading, round edge trailing. Aircraft wings are designed for higher air pressure underneath in order to achieve lift off, that’s why they are round edge leading. The very opposite is required for a road vehicle which requires the higher air pressure above in order to help keep the vehicle on the road.

Bernoulli’s Principle explains this.

Just saying....

Thin edge leading, round edge trailing. Aircraft wings are designed for higher air pressure underneath in order to achieve lift off, that’s why they are round edge leading. The very opposite is required for a road vehicle which requires the higher air pressure above in order to help keep the vehicle on the road.

Bernoulli’s Principle explains this.

Just saying....
Its not rounded front/back or pointed back/front that of a wing that creates lift. Its the distance that the airflow has to take. The air over the top of a wing has further to flow than the air that travels below. The faster moving air creates lower air pressure than the slower moving air below, producing an upwards force on the wings. The shape of the roof bars are not affected by Bernoulli's principle at all.

Just saying...

Edit and for what its worth F1 cars 'wings' are still rounded end at the front and pointy end at the back. Just they are like aircraft wings upside down.

Back