Genuine Sportline Alloys or Replicas

revord

I'm looking at changing my 16" wheels on my Kombi for are set of 18" and I quite like the look of the genuine Sportline wheels from the T5 model (I think, see photo).
Are there any benefits from using genuine Volkswagen wheels over 3rd party wheels or would I be better off saving some money and finding a similar model from another supplier.

What tyre size are most people using on 18's, 235/50 or 255/40?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQNFoIAo5zUU--P2bR0IPepPpjs9tsQdDkCZlSqq72y7K1KWcm.jpg

I think 255/45/18 is the VW size for 18"

but I will fit 235/55/18 slightly over-sized tyres when I get round to it.

I'm looking at changing my 16" wheels on my Kombi for are set of 18" and I quite like the look of the genuine Sportline wheels from the T5 model (I think, see photo).
Are there any benefits from using genuine Volkswagen wheels over 3rd party wheels or would I be better off saving some money and finding a similar model from another supplier.

What tyre size are most people using on 18's, 235/50 or 255/40?

View attachment 34814

Benefits.......direct fit, no need for spigot rings, new wheel bolts or spacers (that said you might if you use those particular wheels on a T5.1/T6 T32 with the 340mm front brakes). Also an 'approved' VW size.

Tyre sizes; 235/50-18 (101 load rating) can be used on vans up to a T30 but you need 255/45-18 (103 load rating) for a T32. They are the two sizes as recommended by VW but some do fit others too.

Benefits.......direct fit, no need for spigot rings, new wheel bolts or spacers (that said you might if you use those particular wheels on a T5.1/T6 T32 with the 340mm front brakes). Also an 'approved' VW size.

Tyre sizes; 235/50-18 (101 load rating) can be used on vans up to a T30 but you need 255/45-18 (103 load rating) for a T32. They are the two sizes as recommended by VW but some do fit others too.
Great details =)

I went for the VW wheels for the reasons mentioned above, direct replacement and (hopefully) no quibbles in the event of a warranty claim.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Mines a T30 so they should fit straight on without any problems.
I think I've made a desision and the genuine wheels are the way to go

Would you need spacers on a T 32?

For the T5/mk1 sportline wheels pictured above it seems so as the T5 was pre 340mm front brakes that the T32/higher hp T5.1(GP)/T6 vans got.

Last edited:
The wheel/tyre/spacer conundrum is so complicated it makes my brain ache!
If I wanted these on my 204 T32 I’d need spacers as they would foul my brakes?

Yes, 5mm spacers all round.
I’m putting 25mm spacers on my Devonports this week just so they don’t look so lost in the arches. When I get a few quid in the bank I want to get some black alloys (not decided exactly which style yet) and pair them with all terrain tyres as I use my van off road. I have a T32 4Motion running standard suspension. If you have any suggestions for a wheel tyre set up I’d be grateful. This whole wheel and tyre thing is like a foreign language to me!

I’m putting 25mm spacers on my Devonports this week just so they don’t look so lost in the arches. When I get a few quid in the bank I want to get some black alloys (not decided exactly which style yet) and pair them with all terrain tyres as I use my van off road. I have a T32 4Motion running standard suspension. If you have any suggestions for a wheel tyre set up I’d be grateful. This whole wheel and tyre thing is like a foreign language to me!
I can’t be much help I’m afraid @Jimmi I only know about the sportlines because that’s what I have on my van.

I just went on wheel base site, put my van details in the search section ( t32 lwb etc ).
Choose wheel and tyre combo thats compatible , get the credit card out!

It would seem from another thread that T30 4mo Dsg may need a 102(min) tyre because of front axel loads.

Last edited:
It would seem from another thread that T30 4mo Dsg may need a 102(min) tyre because of front axel loads.

Panel van or kombi?

According to the VW specs, T30 Euro 6 certainly have a higher front axle load limit (1610kg) than a T30 euro 5 (1500/1550kg).
That said the opposite is true of the rear axle: T30 euro 5 - 1625kg, T30 euro 6 - 1500/1600kg.

That would mean a 101 (825kg) should be ok.........unless the specific vehicle vin plate says otherwise of course!

Untitled.jpg
Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:
T28, Are These Winter Tyres The Right Size?

Yes
Panel van or kombi?

According to the VW specs, T30 Euro 6 certainly have a higher front axle load limit (1610kg) than a T30 euro 5 (1500/1550kg).
That said the opposite is true of the rear axle: T30 euro 5 - 1625kg, T30 euro 6 - 1500/1600kg.

That would mean a 101 (825kg) should be ok.........unless the specific vehicle vin plate says otherwise of course!

View attachment 35013

View attachment 35014

As you say the final arbiter is the actual sticker/plate on the vehicle, unless that's been altered by an Accreditred Vehicle Engineer under the regs etc etc.

Strange there is a variance with the published VW data.

"Suprisingly even the 1625kg doesn't seem to be the final truth for the T30. Just checked records of a few T30's and just realized that a T30 4Motion DSG (150 and 204PS) has max front axle weight of 1680kg (the rear 1625kg) thus actually requiring load rating of 102. So it seems that there is really no other way than check each one individually from sticker or paperwork. (EDIT: DSG.)"

Yes

As you say the final arbiter is the actual sticker/plate on the vehicle, unless that's been altered by an Accreditred Vehicle Engineer under the regs etc etc.

Strange there is a variance with the published VW data.

"Suprisingly even the 1625kg doesn't seem to be the final truth for the T30. Just checked records of a few T30's and just realized that a T30 4Motion DSG (150 and 204PS) has max front axle weight of 1680kg (the rear 1625kg) thus actually requiring load rating of 102. So it seems that there is really no other way than check each one individually from sticker or paperwork. (EDIT: DSG.)"

I wonder where the 1680kg figure comes from?

I'm only going by the UK VW T6 euro 5 / euro 6 brochures and the info on my own Euro 5 T30. Maybe the Finnish varients have other features as standard increasing axle load limits (webasto, engine insulation, improved glazing, rear heating etc)???

I wonder where the 1680kg figure comes from?

I'm only going by the UK VW T6 euro 5 / euro 6 brochures and the info on my own Euro 5 T30. Maybe the Finnish varients have other features as standard increasing axle load limits (webasto, engine insulation, improved glazing, rear heating etc)???
Forgot to clarify that the vans were Long Wheel Base but you are right that's still not on the UK brochure (VWMY18TRANS, Issue: 1 November 2018, https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/c...enditions/original./transporters-brochure.pdf)
A possibility is that those vans were equipped with uprated suspension (which seems to be a possibility here).
Other factors might include aux battery, bigger main battery, bigger fuel tank (but not in this case as not an option here).
Thanks for highlighting this :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back