Genuine or non genuine swivel captains seats

GS1980

Sold!
VIP Member
Hi all, I’ve been looking at genuine front caravelle swivel seats... has anyone got these or had experience with them? How do they compare to a non genuine swivel with just a standard captains seat bolted to it?
cheers

We’re looking to fit a swivel to the front passenger seat at some point so interested in options. Being a safety critical part, it needs to be a quality item!

True... I’m also worried that there might be play/movement in them whilst driving. RIB do one but I’m thinking genuine should be better?!

Not sure what the factory swivels are like, but the Rusty Lee swivels are tuv approved and a good bit of kit and an absolute doddle to fit.

Factory swivels don’t have height adjustment.

I’m 6ft 7" and have a HiLo roof, I’ve fitted Sportscraft swivels and they have been great over the last two years.

Here Sportscraft ones and they add a a little bit of height, but built like a tank and TüV approved.

I'll second Sportscraft as the best option for aftermarket fitment. Genuine swivels don't come with the option of height adjustment although with Sportscraft you do have to have the height adjusted above a certain point to swivel the seat.
The handbrake lowering bracket supplied with Sportscraft is really not good, it's better to get the existing bracket removed and fitted lower on the seat box.
Sportscraft now supply a version that will allow for a decent height leisure battery to be fitted below.

We have factory fixed captain seats with height adjustment and electric lumbar control. These were then fitted to RIB TUV approved swivel bases by our converter.

We have done over 40,000 camping miles in them and they have been fine. No movement, no rattles. I keep the base ring greased when required.

For the Sportscraft ones indeed you need the handbrake lowered, and as rod_vw pointed out it's better to lower the bracket that's on the seat base already (drill out the spot welds, pry it off, weld it back on, spray paint.

For swiveling, if you want to swivel with the seats in the lower position you have to do some trimming of the plastic sides of the seat, because they will catch on the swivel otherwise...

We have factory fixed captain seats to the last few vans no movement, no rattles ect unlike others we have used in the past good luck,, Funny it was cheaper to ORDER as a factory order

Back