General Grabber AT3 vs Avon AX7

dinks66

VIP Member
Hi, has anyone got any good comparison info on these 2 tyres. I am a fan of BFG's AT tyres (had 3 x sets on different vehicles) but they do not make 235/55/18 which is the size that I am after. They both seem to have good write ups but unsure of tyre life on the Avons. I realise that the offroad capabilities will not be as good as BFG's but at the end of the day it is a van being used mainly on the road. I have been getting about 40k miles out of BFG's and wondered if the Avons or Generals were good for similar mileage??

Do you mind me asking what wheels you have ? I have looked at both of these tyres and would personally go for the Avons, i just can't decide on my wheels yet.

I fitted the exact same size Avons to mine and went through a similar decision - BFG’s weren’t available, General Grabbers were more expensive so Avon’s it was (just over £105 a corner fitted). I went from 255/45/18 and haven’t looked back - more comfort, not noisy (I was worried about this) and although they use a little more diesel, I’d fit again when they wear out. I only fitted before xmas so cannot comment on mileage. we only use the van on the road so I’m the wrong person to comment on off road capability!

6DD15ECB-EC73-4A07-9521-1B00BE13F653.jpeg

I fitted the exact same size Avons to mine and went through a similar decision - BFG’s weren’t available, General Grabbers were more expensive so Avon’s it was (just over £105 a corner fitted). I went from 255/45/18 and haven’t looked back - more comfort, not noisy (I was worried about this) and although they use a little more diesel, I’d fit again when they wear out. I only fitted before xmas so cannot comment on mileage. we only use the van on the road so I’m the wrong person to comment on off road capability!

View attachment 146462
Cheers for the answer. It is just the kind of info I am after. !!

Do you mind me asking what wheels you have ? I have looked at both of these tyres and would personally go for the Avons, i just can't decide on my wheels yet.
Hi, I got a set of KMC Rockstar XD 811 from Northants tyres. I have been ringing around everywhere to find a set and they all told me that they were discontinued in 5 x 120. They managed to source 4 of them for me so I think that I have been quite lucky as I don't really like any other wheels.

Hi, has anyone got any good comparison info on these 2 tyres. I am a fan of BFG's AT tyres (had 3 x sets on different vehicles) but they do not make 235/55/18 which is the size that I am after. They both seem to have good write ups but unsure of tyre life on the Avons. I realise that the offroad capabilities will not be as good as BFG's but at the end of the day it is a van being used mainly on the road. I have been getting about 40k miles out of BFG's and wondered if the Avons or Generals were good for similar mileage??
I always use AT3'S on my Transporters. 1st set did 47k, 2nd set did 45k and I'm on my 3rd set on a new van 20k so far. They're acceptable from a noise point and brilliant off road. I have a 4M and often pull heavy trailers off road.
I had 2 LR Discovery's that also had AT3'S....same wear and performance on these too.
While AT3'S are still available I'll keep using them
235 55 18 the best size, 235 60 18 are ok but gearing is noticeably effected and don't go to 255s as these scrub on lock and suspension compression.
Never tried the Avons so can't compare.

I always use AT3'S on my Transporters. 1st set did 47k, 2nd set did 45k and I'm on my 3rd set on a new van 20k so far. They're acceptable from a noise point and brilliant off road. I have a 4M and often pull heavy trailers off road.
I had 2 LR Discovery's that also had AT3'S....same wear and performance on these too.
235 55 18 the best size, 235 60 18 are ok but gearing is noticeably effected and don't go to 255s as these scrub on lock and suspension compression.
Never tried the Avons so can't compare.
Thanks!! Excellent info.

Would you go generals over mich cross climates? Been offered a good deal on Generals with new wheels.

Would you go generals over mich cross climates? Been offered a good deal on Generals with new wheels.
I am now running my Generals. Cracking tyres. Quiet and look good. Haven't tried them offroad yet but they are just as quiet as the van Contact 4 seasons they replaced. I must admit they are better than BFG's (my favourite tyres) in the wet.

Sorry pal, more time to reply....i posted the below to another member a while ago. I took the van to Spain this year when it was 44 degrees, lots of stone off road tracks and the tyres are still brand new, now 31k...
Never tried Avons or Cross Climate so can't compare.

Back