Gas Lockers.... always required or dependant on setup?

We only use a 12litre water bottle and a 5 litre spare and have never had an issue with water yet. Slides out, top containing the pump unscrews, top us and slide it back in. Really easy to keep the container clean and water is always fresh as topped up regularly. Gas is in a locker (2bottles, one for the rings and one for the Cadac) plus the cupboard stores my electric cables, etc. Can actually turn the gas in and off without getting out which is handy on wet days but have to open rear door.

0E5898FC-A1A1-4228-8018-CA233BD79C4D.jpeg

713F3D31-E9DD-4078-9D29-79979BEA7796.jpeg

Having read this I am wondering what is the benefit of internal gas bottles and lockers over LPG underslung. I researching my build for early next year and I'm keen to get maximum storage in the van so the more stuff underslung with good filling access the better?
I understand propex heater can be noisy compared to the diesel webby or ebby offerings so I'm thinking of cooking on LPG with connection for a Cadac and heating via diesel underslung.
I'd like underslung water tanks too but am I running out of space underneath. Though internal water supply tank maybe good to clean tank? Opinions?

I have a propex heater with underslung tank, whilst I have not heard a diesel heater in operation the propex does sound a bit like a steam train. When I specked the conversion I just assumed they were all the same. Whilst the underslung tank is useful for freeing up precious storage space, if the diesel heaters are quieter I would choose one of them if I could do it all over again. I use the space that would have been taken up by the gas bottle to store cables and the shower attachment.

Interesting. For safety and space reasons, not having a gas locker and going with a propex system seems the most sensible fool proof solution for cooking. For heating diesel heaters are the way to go to keep things quieter?

Morning, does anyone have any pics they could share of where to run 8mm gas pipes neatly from gas locker to Smev 9222 and smev 211 oven. I’m hoping to put my gas locker back right of van next to wheel arch. Cheers Adam

Sorry Adam but I don’t think these photos will help you much as only shows the rear gas locker connection and not the pipe run to the cooker as it is all hidden behind the kitchen unit.

6B29CDA2-4A96-4FF6-B3D1-B92015BF9A59.jpeg

292C8CC8-549D-4DBB-AA34-BC37EC7AC3E1.jpeg

Hi everyone, I am just starting out. Got myself a Smev 9722 and have made a cabinet unit (not least because at the time of writing we are in lockdown). Quite enjoying the challenge of using all those bits of wood I have been saving in the shed for a rainy day. I also have a 25 litre oil drum - it is steel so what do you think of adapting that as a gas locker ? Or has anyone got any other DIY ideas? Obviously I could just buy a £100 one, but I like a challenge.

Our gas locker is under the "wardrobe" part of the high unit. With a drop vent. The leisure batteries are also under the unit. 60 ltr fresh water tank underslung. There is a potential downside to the underslung tank however. We're lowered 40mm, and the tank has a large drain cap at the bottom which sticks down a bit. I note that it has clearly grounded on more than one occasion! It's right in the wheel track, so care is needed on anything other than a decent road. We often don't go on decent roads.

Sorry Adam but I don’t think these photos will help you much as only shows the rear gas locker connection and not the pipe run to the cooker as it is all hidden behind the kitchen unit.

Mark - I always thought that there was a regulatory requirement for a gas locker that effectively sealed the gas cylinder / regulator from the rest of the van but also vented to the outside at floor level just in case of any leaks and that was why gas locker doors and pipe outlets had rubber seals. I might be wrong but to my eyes that just looks like a cupboard with a gas bottle and regulator in it - is there a drop out vent in the bottom?. Please don't take this as a criticism as I'm not an expert at this stuff - I could well be wrong either about the regulations or my interpretation of the photograph (or both). I'm interested in this as I've been thinking about alternative gas supplies for a while now to avoid the extortionate cost of Campingaz cylinders both here and in Europe and my (metal and sealed) gas locker will only take a Camping 907 or smaller cylinder.

Amazingly, it appears that there are no formal "regulations" as such regarding DIY installs of gas (or indeed electrical) fittings. Certainly not for private use. Vehicles being hired will of course need to have appropriate certs. If anyone knows otherwise, it'd be worth knowing - this is just my understanding.

But I most certainly wouldn't be happy with a gas bottle in what is essentially an open cabinet, even with a door - at the very least I'd want it to have a drop vent. Our top-loading gas safe has a screw down cover, with a seal. It will only take a 907 / 904. At least C/gaz is readily available in Europe, although when we ran out on Mull it was clear that the majority of visitors use Calor! Caravans and motorhomes having more space.

Our friends have a Ford based camper - which uses a Calor propane cylinder.

All good comments, however the regulations are not as strict as people would believe or perhaps expect. Our cupboard does have a vent in the floor (and another one under the cooker) and all the correct Flexible and fixed ‘plumbing’. Both cylinders are secured and the van has type approval. Probably a lot safer than when I used to carry 2 907 cylinders, gas lanterns and camping gear in the back of the car. I guess it comes down to the level of risk you’re prepared to accept. With the gas being heavier than air if any gas were to escape it would drop through the floor and be dispersed hopefully below the LEL. I’m happy with our arrangement but I can understand why some people might prefer a metal cabinet.

I have recently done a DIY conversion, but have yet to properly install the gas setup for the cooker. Will need to put in a gas locker as I would like to register the van in France in a few months, and it will need to be inspected to ensure it meets the regulations. Which brings me on to VENTILATION! Can anyone advise how to create sufficient ventilation that will meet the EU regs, while cutting the minimum amount of holes in the van?

Back