Gas/Co2 Alarm active all the time? will it drain the battery?

Vdubster

I have just installed a CBE LPG ad CO2 detector/alarm, for some reason i thought it might be battery powered but its 12v, would i be safe to assume this is to be on 24/7? and in turn will this not drain my battery or would the power consumption of it be to low for it to matter? i think its around 50ma? i know that isnt a lot but i dont know if this will still drain a battery in a couple of days or a few weeks? or etc?

thanks.

Hiya,

I’m hoping @Dellmassive or someone who knows more than me rocks up to help answer your query.

I am assuming you don’t have a leisure battery fitted, so this detector/alarm is drawing from your starter battery. I would say that such a low draw would take some time to drain your battery. @Dellmassive can tell you of auto-cutoffs you can put in to protect your battery, but the van has other alarms and sensors that could drain a battery in a matter of weeks anyway. (This I gleaned from reading other threads about flat batteries.)

I wouldn’t fret about it, but keep an eye on it. Maybe ask Santa for a battery tester?!!

I have just installed a CBE LPG ad CO2 detector/alarm, for some reason i thought it might be battery powered but its 12v, would i be safe to assume this is to be on 24/7? and in turn will this not drain my battery or would the power consumption of it be to low for it to matter? i think its around 50ma? i know that isnt a lot but i dont know if this will still drain a battery in a couple of days or a few weeks? or etc?

thanks.
Not sure which model CBE detector you have, I have a CBE MTCO which draws 0.01A in monitoring mode.
The safe minimum limit for non lithium battery capacity is 50%.

If you have 110Ah battery, you have 55Ah available.
55/0.01 = 5500 hours (229 days).

You should be OK but I can’t see why you would want to leave it on 24/7 for extended duration? It has a integrated switch to turn it off.

My CO alarm runs for well over a year on one 9V PP3, so I assume the current draw must be minimal.

Back