Gas Bottle Location

steveHml

HI All
I've nearly completed my T6 conversion. one question i have is the battery, fuse box, and charger are located in the rear of the van in a cupboard only accessible from the rear doors and then pushed as far into the cupboard so is near the rear middle of the van. the only location i can fit the small camping gas bottle is in the same cupboard as the electrics but right by the rear doors (electrics and bottle are about 1.5 ft apart)

I'm looking to cut a ply sheet to section off the electrics and make them hidden. from a safety point is having the gas and electrics technically located in the same cupboard ok? If so/not what would you advise on where to locate/ what to do with the bottle as space is extremely tight would a drop vent solve this issue?

I have not cut the rubber pipe to size so could either fit the gas bottle in the higher cupboard, or try and route the rubber pipe underneath the rock and roll bed to the other wheel arch

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Have you got a bottle case/safe if you do I’d mount it where you have it in the picture for ease of changing the bottle all being said I put mine in a safe thingy under my sink around the corner in a void as don’t need to keep getting the bottle out only open it to turn off regulator,

the issue is the unit door just fits the bottle through it. a locker would be too bulky to fit in it unfortunately. Under the sink could work, i can just shorten the copper tube and rubber tube to fit. There is a 240v mains smart charger in there but thats no different to having a battery next to it.

Defo go with a locker for piece of mind and vent it correctly no way would I put a gas bottle in without it, my personal opinion

Reactions: DXX
I don’t have gas in my van but the last place I’d put a gas cylinder is next to the battery.
Even if both are well restrained and you never have a gas leak I would consider what could happen on a collision if the cylinder contacts the terminals.

I built a plywood box with a top lid that clamps down using toggle latches, in the position your bottle is in. I added a drop vent through the base of the box and van floor (about where your bottle is). It looks like you could box in from the van floor to the shelf in your units in a similar way, then 'drop' the bottle into that boxed section from the upper cupboard, leaving room in the box, above the bottle for the pipe etc. It should really be copper pipe into that box/locker though. Having it as is would be asking for trouble and I would certainly add a bottle strap/cradle to stop it moving. You have unsealed 'choc block' connectors there too.
I'd want easier access to the battery and fuse box/CTEK too, as if you did box the battery in, it will all be compromised re: access

Remember 20Kg stopping dead from 60MPH will have a mass in excess of 500Kg, a few screws and some lightweight furniture board won’t survive a collision.

Measuring the gas lockers (HxWxD) 340mmx235mmx270mm it would only fit under the sink.
I built a plywood box with a top lid that clamps down using toggle latches, in the position your bottle is in. I added a drop vent through the base of the box and van floor (about where your bottle is). It looks like you could box in from the van floor to the shelf in your units in a similar way, then 'drop' the bottle into that boxed section from the upper cupboard, leaving room in the box, above the bottle for the pipe etc. It should really be copper pipe into that box/locker though. Having it as is would be asking for trouble and I would certainly add a bottle strap/cradle to stop it moving. You have unsealed 'choc block' connectors there too.
I'd want easier access to the battery and fuse box/CTEK too, as if you did box the battery in, it will all be compromised re: access

Thanks, Yes i haven't added the straps for the bottle yet as was only testing for leaks and where to fit things. im leaning more towards fitting a box into the rear and drop vent. Or i could put in a locker under the sink but would take up loads of space but would be safer?

the divider im looking to put in to hide the electrics would only be a thin piece of ply OR if the gas is relocated to the kitchen then i would leave the electrics open and not out in a divider

I’d put the battery in a battery not also I have done this in mine and it’s located in the same place your battery is makes it beater and safer not sliding around, you’ve got to put the bottle somewhere so the space lost is the same if opt for user the sink,I’ve toyed with the idea of ditching the gas bottle tbh and connecting up another cadac trio gas supply, as I don’t really cook in the van just make tea

thanks all, im going to keep the bottle in the rear. i will fit a drop vent and build a thick wooden box to keep it in that will be bolted in (including canister straps). as for the battery, i will make a partition to fit in to hide cables and the battery. the fuse box/CTEK panel will remain visible for ease of access.

Back