Gas Bbq Recommendation ?

Anthony Ball

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I know it's not a real BBQ but can anyone recommend a gas BBQ to use with an external gas point on the van please ??

Any idea what CADAC replaced the Citi 48 with? This looked like a good camping option, but just when I'm ready to buy it's been discontinued.

Looking at the Cadac brochure the Citi 50 is the only thing that comes close.
CADAC Citi Chef 50 | Gas barbecue - Cadac International

Thanks for pointing me towards the website @DaveyB. That looks pretty big, but the Carri Chef 2 looks like it replaces the Citi 48 and looks like it packs up well. Plus lots of gas feed options!

I've used a Weber Compact as my camping BBQ for a good few years (the OCD in me, packs it back clean in the original box and it's lived in the camping trailer) but we've gone from 4 Adults and 4 Children to 8 Adults, and even with a Weber Smokey Joe on back up / warming draw duty it can be a bit of a struggle maintaining a hot grille.

I've previously been a charcoal only man, but I see the benefits of gas - means instead on messing around with the starter chimney I have more drinking time instead :thumbsup:

Got the Carri Chef 2 myself.

Same here and I love it, and it's about 10 years old.

That Citi Chef looks exactly like mine but with a few extra bells and whistles. What kind of person would buy something for a lot more money just because it's got a few extra bells and whistles... :whistle:

Thanks for the advice ,the cadac stuff does look good , need to find a local stockist now as I'd like to actually see what I'm buying before I part with money !!

Thanks for the advice ,the cadac stuff does look good , need to find a local stockist now as I'd like to actually see what I'm buying before I part with money !!
I’d always thought that the Citi 48 was replaced with the Carri Chef.

Go Outdoors usually have some Cadac on display to give you an idea.

Last edited:
We have just moved up to a Cadac Grillo Gas from a Safari purely to free up table space when cooking but there is only 2 of us

I’ve had 3 cadacs & they don’t seem to last, although we do cook a lot of fresh mackerel & the salt rots the grills. Just bought one of these http://magmagrill.eu/p/Gourmet-Serie-Newport-II-Gas-Grill/A10-918-2CE-2
So far, so good. Packs up very small into a van friendly rectangular shape. We have a bullfinch gas point mounted underneath the van, works a treat. We also have a GasIt refillable system, can’t praise it enough, a tenners worth of gas for the whole year.

I’ve had 3 cadacs & they don’t seem to last, although we do cook a lot of fresh mackerel & the salt rots the grills. Just bought one of these Producten - Gourmet Serie "Newport II"™ Gas BBQ - Magma BBQ & Accessoires Europa
So far, so good. Packs up very small into a van friendly rectangular shape. We have a bullfinch gas point mounted underneath the van, works a treat. We also have a GasIt refillable system, can’t praise it enough, a tenners worth of gas for the whole year.
I’ve not come across Magma before - look good but seems an awful lot of money for a portable grill? Looks like they are aimed primarily at boats where they can be clamped to a rail? I love my BBQs and have gone through a few and still own a collection but have settled on Cadacs for camping - we do clean properly after every use and use never metal utensils with them - so far, after several years of use, no issues with longevity.

They also have fold away legs built in. We’ve only used it a couple of times so far, but very impressed. It all strips down to go in the dishwasher at the end of the holiday.

Back