Gap Insurance For T6 Transporter Camper Conversion

have a look online at ALA - GAP Insurance | Car, Van & Bike GAP Insurance from ALA - slightly cheaper. Haven't had to claim from them at all, but when I have dealt with them they have been helpful. When I switched out of my Discovery to a T6, they refunded part of the unused element of the Discovery policy when I changed over.

Proof will be from someone who has had to make use of the policy, but I have a policy from them on all our cars and my van.

Some positive reviews here : ALA Insurance is rated "Excellent" with 9.7 / 10 on Trustpilot

Just looking at GAP at the moment, and worth pointing out that ALA does not cover any vehicles that have been modified. That's any modifications at all, not just conversions.

I appreciate this differs from what Sturge says above, but it's in their policy wording and i also called them to check

Called AlA Gap. Ur Gap insurance is active..back to what ever amount u payed for..sticker or invoice...but ur mods are not covered. So if van is written off or stolen..the van is covered..but ull be out of pocket on the add ons...oh well:(

Hi

I will be buying a converted T6 transporter (professional done, purchased converted). Since it's new (though due to them converting it I'm not the first registered owner) anyone got any advice on gap insurance? Specifically, ones that will fill the gap to invoice purchase price as a purchased converted vehicle (which is higher than the theoretical T6 base). Or am I covered because my 'invoice' includes all these conversion items?

As an addition to this thread note some of the firms qouting new for old periods take them away if you reveal that the van is already registered and has been through the professional converters ownership / hands. Including some of the firms mentioned here.

You specifically want back to invoice cover, but will need to clarify that they wont exclude cover for modifications done prior to your purchase from new

You specifically want back to invoice cover, but will need to clarify that they wont exclude cover for modifications done prior to your purchase from new

Yes. I think the challenge is the all of them will. All I can do grind out the calls I guess.

It also doesn't help your not generally not the first registered owner in these scenarios.

So, does anyone achieved having gap insurance on a converted van? For example - buy a converted van off the lot, insure it via A Plan so the conversions are included in the insurance and then have gap insurance being willing to return to invoice? I mean, in theory since the underlying insurance they are topping up covers the internal conversions (just typical camper van stuff) they're on a good base to top up - but I imagine problems like being on exemption lists or not on some form of official vehicle directory or them not liking the alterations.

Just curious if anyone has done it.

MB& G Insurance GAP/RTI are insisting they are willing to do it as long as it's purchased converted from a VAT registered dealer and the conversion is in the invoice price.
£10.99 a month. Can keep it going for up to 5 years. Cancel when I like without penalty. Will return the gap to the invoice.

This sounds.....too good, though I realise the three years adds up.

MB& G Insurance GAP/RTI are insisting they are willing to do it as long as it's purchased converted from a VAT registered dealer and the conversion is in the invoice price.
£10.99 a month. Can keep it going for up to 5 years. Cancel when I like without penalty. Will return the gap to the invoice.

This sounds.....too good, though I realise the three years adds up.
How did you (or anyone else) get on with this? I'm getting a 'brand new' van from a conversion/modification company over the next few weeks and wondering what I should do??? I'm buying the van outright through my company this time whereas usually I buy my personal cars on finance and don't do any modifications. Not sure if I'll be classed as the first owner or not or whether that even makes a difference, but I'm confused what I should tell GAP companies about values etc...
Am I better off telling them a total price for the vehicle or splitting it into van price and mods price? If so, am I better off making one of the figures higher or lower than the other? I got a really good deal on my new van but my mods are obviously costing what they cost. If the entire vehicle needs replacing how can I make sure I'm covered enough to buy the same value van again? Is this something that can be agreed with my new insurance company and therefore I won't need GAP? Like I said, I'm not getting my van on finance so maybe that will make a difference.
Sorry if this is confusing to read but it's really difficult to write too!
Any help is much appreciated. Thank you :)

My insurance company covers me for the full worth of the van including modifications at the time of the claim. This was no problem.

It is what it is worth at the time though so depreciation, etc.

So I have the 10.99 gap insurance. That insurance was so easy I half don't believe it works but they insure me it does. It gives me the invoice value. Whether that would work if you didn't have a single invoice I am not sure.

I will need to look up the insurer I used but it is commonly referenced on here. Bother were great to deal with.

Hi, I'm finding it difficult to find a company which offers GAP Insurance for my VW T6 Campervan - can anyone suggest companies?

I've googled a fair amount and tried many GAP quotes online, however when you read their Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) summary document most say they don't cover anything that's been modified. On ringing the companies they confirm campervans are not covered.
I've just tried HIC (Now Sterling Insurance) and Adrian Flux as stated on some of the Insurance threads, but they are the same.

More Googling and phoning i suppose.
Thanks

What type of GAP insurance are you after?

For VW T6 campervan, preferably over 4 years. Easy to get GAP cover for a car but not for a converted van.

Back