Gap Insurance For T6 Transporter Camper Conversion

MEX72

Can anyone recommend a company who will do Gap Insurance on a Converted Transporter? I tried gapinsurance.co.uk but theyre unable to help since the van wasn't converted from new?

The prospect of being left paying for finance on a campervan no longer own if it gets stolen isn't exactly filling me with joy and I know an insurance payout would no doubt leave a rather big gap left to find (excuse the pun)

Did you ever find out any recommendations? I’d be interested as just about to take delivery of ours and I agree the idea of a low payout is not ideal.
Cheers

Hi Sorry for late reply. No luck. I thought I'd found a company but they rang me next day and refunded me in full when they decided they couldn't cover me. The issue with all of them was that only a transporter van is listed in Glasses Guide, not a converted campervan! (Frustrating but true!)
That company was gapinsurance.co uk, I then thought I'd found another company but again they got cold feet and couldn't offer me cover in the end.
I gave up in the end.

Not worth getting an agreed value policy? Submit pictures and an independent valuation to support the figure you are asking for and hopefully get the amount covered (which will be in excess of the base van valuation)

I hadn't thought of that being honest with you. I wasn't aware they existed but will look into that. Thanks.

I used JustKampers. Worth getting an independent valuation to support the figure you need in the event they disagree with the figure you request

We went through A-Plan Thatcham office and our policy includes cost of all mods etc, I just have to provide evidence of the van and build cost.

I’ve just sourced Gap/rti cover from MB&G who offer cover for Motorhomes and caravans etc. No need for vehicle to be in glass’s guide if a conversion on sale in uk. Hope this helps. MB&G Insurance

Hi all

Trying to find some info on gap insurance and if its worth having, any opinions/experiences appreciated, also if you took gap insurance out and you say added a bed/swivel seats etc at a later date does this create issues with the policy already in place

Thanks in advance

I thought gap insurance was to make up the difference between book value and the amount required to clear outstanding finance?

it is to make up the difference the insurance is paying out and whats left to make up the invoice price . so let say you have a 40k van 2 years down the line it gets nicked your insurance says its worth 15k the gap is to make up the 25k left .

it is to make up the difference the insurance is paying out and whats left to make up the invoice price . so let say you have a 40k van 2 years down the line it gets nicked your insurance says its worth 15k the gap is to make up the 25k left .

Thanks all, sounds likes a worthwhile invest of around £200 for some piece of mind unless I’m reading it wrong

Ah OK. I'm with Comfort and for the first 2 yrs they pay out the full replacement cost, which as I got a decent discount means I'd make a profit if it was nicked! I might look into gap if I end up keeping it for longer than 2 yrs then.

I bought Gap from MotorEasy. Back to invoice for me as I bought a done conversion, so don't need to worry about post purchase modifications.

If you are to buy a van and then convert/mod, back to invoice wouldn't cover the mods, you can get 'Vehicle Replacement' gap insurance but I'd make sure I kept good records and receipts for all mods, and read the fine print.

All GAP insurances have a max payout, which means you essentially need to work out the min estimate an insurer will pay and figure out how much 'gap' cover to get you back to square 1, bigger the gap the bigger the premium. But still worth the peace of mind in my book.

mine is with ALA gap insurance, and they do a few different ones. Mine is return to list price (as opposed to invoice) or outstanding finance whichever is greater but still just relates to the base vehicle. I may be testing it shortly following our accident, but still waiting on insurance decision. If insurance pays out, as vehicle is 10 months old, I get back to invoice price, as opposed to list price. However as my modifications are listed I 'should' get that back too, but really dont know.

Excellent feedback, will try and get some quotes over the weekend and get something put into place :thumbsup:

John clark motor group pushes Gap insurance from a broker called Ams Insurance.

I called them and they seemed very helpful and knowledgeable. I asked them if they could give me a quote for Gap and they said "No problem"...then i told them that I was buying a vehicle from JCMG and they said "Ahh..sorry we can't give u a quote, since your buying from them"

The quote for Gap insurance from JCMG for 4 yrs is £499 with a total payout upto £15,000. Make sure you do ur Due diligence and look around.

Back