Awning rail with HiLo Pop-Top

Keaney

VIP Member
T6 Guru
after looking at a few awning rails I’ve decided to try a funky leisure one with my hilo roof to see f it fits under it.

Has anyone else tried it?

No, but if it helps I can confirm that the Stitches & Steel awning C-rail does.

No, but if it helps I can confirm that the Stitches & Steel awning C-rail does.
Yeah they looked similar, could you send me some pics by any chance so I can see how far back it needs to be offset?

So I have a few options,

option 1 is put it on top of the frame with the c facing me or toward the Hilo

Option 2 put the flat piece in the channel so only the c sits above

B89C255A-B111-4E4F-9B13-C525988C8756.jpeg

FC701821-766E-4D58-8293-AE98EAB16E6C.jpeg

For info spoke to Michael at Hilo, can’t fault them like they really look after their customer and brand.

He sent me this from their show van.

Just need to be brave enoughto fit it now

014EDB59-9267-46B0-90D5-13718A9AA38A.jpeg

@Keaney / @JaySal - sorry for the delay in posting. Mine is fitted as the one above.
As you’ve probably guessed - when the roof is down you can’t see the rail.

I totally get the stealth aspects and hiding it away but consider what you want to use the rail for as the position so far in will make it difficult to pitch a drive away awning in such a way as the sliding door doesn't snag it every time you open/close it.

I totally get the stealth aspects and hiding it away but consider what you want to use the rail for as the position so far in will make it difficult to pitch a drive away awning in such a way as the sliding door doesn't snag it every time you open/close it.
Its for a glawning... was looking at a Kandor strip to help if i need to

Its for a glawning... was looking at a Kandor strip to help if i need to
@Carndearg may be able to offer advice re Glawning (he fits one via a rail but not one positioned so far in). I think you will need to make some modifications, eg. extra wide kador strips and or filler strip of canvas, to get a good fit away from the door.

Update: Found a Glawning spec sheet and the tunnel on the 4m version is 2.4m long so, as long as the rail allows you to position the awning towards the back of the van (and/or you have a long wheel base), you will be able to get the door opening within the tunnel with no snagging issues. 4m Standard Glawning Spec Sheet

Last edited:
Believe this is how @Deaky has fitted his.

I would have thought that it would have been less likely to have snagged the roof of the awning with the sliding door @Davenjo than a reimo rail. I have a reimo and when the door is slid right the way back it does touch the roof of the awning. Was considering doing a similar thing with a c-rail so that when using an awning with the roof up, can get it up higher.

Believe this is how @Deaky has fitted his.

I would have thought that it would have been less likely to have snagged the roof of the awning with the sliding door @Davenjo than a reimo rail. I have a reimo and when the door is slid right the way back it does touch the roof of the awning. Was considering doing a similar thing with a c-rail so that when using an awning with the roof up, can get it up higher.
Not the roof I’m thinking of, rather the side as the top/connection will be closer in on a the van and so pull it in further.

A well pitched awning with the connection above the door height should always see the door clear of the awnings roof.

Last edited:
Not the roof I’m thinking of, rather the side as the top/connection will be closer in on a the van and so pull it in further.

A well pitched awning with the connection above the door height should always see the door clear of the awnings roof.
Oh I see what you mean. Will have to see if @Deaky has any problems.

Not tried my driveaway yet but the tail on the Hilo is definitely higher than the Reimo rail I had on the old van.

5B1CC387-0C29-40F7-B428-0B0CAEC68FFD.jpeg

Can I check which Hilo Roof this is designed for Surf or Sport? only the surf roof I've been informed doesn't have the option of a C Rail

I've just had a look at the Funky Leisure c rail and looks like they are having a sale. Currently available at £39.99 (RRP is £40) :fast rofl:

Hi, I am just about to purchase an awning rail and can't make up my mind between the Van-X/OEM type or the Reimo multi rail.

I like the no drilling of body work on the Van-x one but also think I may need the roof bar adaptor that fits the the Multi rail (one either side) to carry surf boards etc in the future.

I have a Hilo roof and wanted to avoid fitting roof bars to it to keep the height down.

What's everyones thoughts, has anyone had the van-x and multi rail and can comment on both?

TIA

Back