Fuel Tax reduction petition

I’m not sure I agree with that petition.
Firstly the government would have to raise the money in another way.
Secondly although I don’t like paying more for fuel, it has made zero difference to the number of vehicles on the road.
Lastly I would rather the government sent money to aid Ukraine than give me back a few pence per litre.

Secondly although I don’t like paying more for fuel, it has made zero difference to the number of vehicles on the road.
Lastly I would rather the government sent money to aid Ukraine than give me back a few pence per litre.
I get where you are coming from @Skyliner33. Don’t forget this is a short term reprieve, as fuel costs are only going in one direction due to the Ukraine conflict and there is different budget for overseas aid such as supporting the Ukrainians in their fight against the invading Russians.

I get where you are coming from @Skyliner33. Don’t forget this is a short term reprieve, as fuel costs are only going in one direction due to the Ukraine conflict and there is different budget for overseas aid such as supporting the Ukrainians in their fight against the invading Russians.
Not true. The price of crude oil is coming down now and the same will therefore happen at the pumps.
Different budget or not the government would still need to raise the income lost somehow, and if it didn’t I would still prefer my money to be given to the Ukrainians.

they could get the fraudulent Covid loans back (there's £4.6 billion for starters)
they could stop giving the money to their mates (for shyte PPE that now needs burning)...
they could hit the fuel companies (BP announcing a £12 billion profit last month don't forget) with a windfall tax...

lots more ways of raising it than making the average working man (or woman!) pay for it...

Not true. The price of crude oil is coming down now and the same will therefore happen at the pumps.
Different budget or not the government would still need to raise the income lost somehow, and if it didn’t I would still prefer my money to be given to the Ukrainians.

also not sure I believe the prices will come down, and certainly not to where it was.
the Saudi's agreed to increased production last week, no sign of it coming down yet...

I think there should be some sort of action to force the oil companies to reduce their profiteering. Oil is back down towards $90 but the price of fuel hasn’t decreased.
I appreciate the stuff at the pumps comes from oil that cost $130 per barrel, but they are quick to put the price up at the pumps the moment the price of a barrel increases.
The bottom line is that while people are still panic buying fuel then the oil companies will keep it as high as they can get away with unless the govt intervenes.

I think there should be some sort of action to force the oil companies to reduce their profiteering. Oil is back down towards $90 but the price of fuel hasn’t decreased.
I appreciate the stuff at the pumps comes from oil that cost $130 per barrel, but they are quick to put the price up at the pumps the moment the price of a barrel increases.
The bottom line is that while people are still panic buying fuel then the oil companies will keep it as high as they can get away with unless the govt intervenes.
I agree, the problem is the price at the pumps goes up immediately, despite being produced by crude bought cheaper. It’s much slower the other way. For example the price per barrel has come down, but not reflected at the pumps. This is where the government needs to do something.

I’ve never been one to worry about fuel prices end of the day I need it end of story! But 20p hike in 3 days at my local shell is taking the piss

The fuel sellers ARE taking the pxss.

Yesterday I saw people filling up at 1.829 per litre , yet just down the road it could be bought for 1.719 per litre - just about says it all really

Back