Fuel Tank, Be Aware

New years eve, tried to start her. Plenty of effort just wouldn’t kick in. Ended up calling VW Assistance.
They turned up within two hours, anyway, the issue it ended up being the slope on my drive, it isn’t what I would call steep at all. The tank showed a quarter of a tank. I have never had an issue with any of my previous vehicles, including a T5. The van was nose lower than the rear and due to this, despite the tank having, to me, plenty of fuel, it wouldn’t pick the fuel up. Ended up going the garage putting two 5 litre cans of diesel in, thanks to the assistance man. He used his equipment to draw the fuel through and away she went. What the ####. Anyway make sure your showing well over a quarter of a tank if used ever park on an incline, front lower.

New years eve, tried to start her. Plenty of effort just wouldn’t kick in. Ended up calling VW Assistance.
They turned up within two hours, anyway, the issue it ended up being the slope on my drive, it isn’t what I would call steep at all. The tank showed a quarter of a tank. I have never had an issue with any of my previous vehicles, including a T5. The van was nose lower than the rear and due to this, despite the tank having, to me, plenty of fuel, it wouldn’t pick the fuel up. Ended up going the garage putting two 5 litre cans of diesel in, thanks to the assistance man. He used his equipment to draw the fuel through and away she went. What the ####. Anyway make sure your showing well over a quarter of a tank if used ever park on an incline, front lower.

Interesting.
Had the van been sat for a period of time before you tried to start it?

I had this on one of my Skoda Superbs - similarly, our drive has a slope down to the street (1 in 10 ish) and we always reverse in (after I nearly ran over a pedestrian but thats another story).

Only ever did it once in the 10 years I had the two superbs. RAC man thought it had got air into fuel lines. Put it on level ground and cranked it for ages and it eventually fired up.

Ian

That's a bit strange... What happens if your driving down a steep hill? o_O

I park mine nose down with a few litres in and it still starts?

did it start . . . . then cutout?

or

no-start from the off?

It was left overnight after being driven for about 20 miles, in the morning wouldn’t kick in, plenty of battery power. The VW man did say he could here air being drawn in which led him to believe it was the fuel level, he hadn’t heard of it before and mention the drive wasn’t too steep.

hmm, maybe possible same issue to @Tourershine. (Rail pressure bleeds down after 3weeks causing a no-start/slow-start)

there should be enough fuel & pressure in the rail to start the engine . . . . .

unless it had already started to suck in air when reverse parking on the slope from the previous night?

either way seems like an easy fix keeping the tank topped up..... but agreed that at a 1/4 tank the pickup tube should immersed in fuel.

Thanks for info This is relevent to me as park on a steep drive way. I reverse in so the nose is down . I've been wondering if it's better engine wise to park nose or tail downhill or does it make no difference?

Back