Fuel Range

Scarfaz1

Nearly got caught out whilst towing caravan, MFD showed 5 miles range left ... pump knocked off at 79.87lt and manged a couple more litres when filling. Question is how accurate is the range remaining and any serious consequence or damage from running out apart from inconvenience! If it makes a diffenence it's a 65 plate euro 5 engine

Yeh, I've you run out before....

You need VCDS to activate the lift pumps to re prime the derv....

Or call AA OR VW assist to help.

First time I run out, I run the battery dead flat trying to restart it.

When I ordered my T6 I added the 80Ltr fuel tank
But some how was never sure if I had it or not !
Any way I'm not going into too many details about how this happened but I was a bet with a young lady who must remain nameless !
Anyway I have won the bet VERY luckily and i'm now fully convinced I have an 80 Ltr tank !

Range 0

S>>T

I did another 15 miles after this popped up ! Carefully admittedly !
Filled up managed to squeeze 75.8 litres in !

Guessing I can now be happy with my 80 litre volume and when I get to zero I've got some left

Range 0

S>>T

I did another 15 miles after this popped up ! Carefully admittedly !
Filled up managed to squeeze 75.8 litres in !

Guessing I can now be happy with my 80 litre volume and when I get to zero I've got some left
6693b8b7-dafa-4072-a2da-7bd14d9281ee-jpeg.46661

Close call!
And I still had 10 miles showing!

I've normally run 30 miles below the 0 mark. Depending on driving conditions..

In the back of my mind I have a 5-10ltr reserve that could last me up to 50miles travel.

I've not run out in the T6 yet..... but come close on a 69ltr refill.

I put 68 litres in my 70 litre tank the other day with 5 miles to go showing.

My range has changed from 70 miles to 120 miles and similar on many occasions. If I'm driving round towns and cities its low but once on a motorway and cruising around 60 it jumps up. I think the range depends on driving styles and adapts as your average mpg changes on the MFD.

I put 68 litres in my 70 litre tank the other day with 5 miles to go showing.
I also just put 68 litres into my 70l tank with 0 range showing. Good to know it’s consistent. I’ve had many VWs over the years and always found the range gauge to be reliable and reactive to recent mpg. As an example, my 200 mile journey the other day started off with excess range. I bazzed down the A1M and ended up with negative range. Then it pi**ed down at rush hour and I ended up clawing back some range to perfectly match my destination distance. I was aiming to get to the gym fro a particular time and the time was very tight. Stopping for fuel would have delayed me too much so at 14 miles to go and 15 on the range I drove past the last garage and took a punt. I ended up at the gym on 0 range and with 4 minutes to spare to get changed and start the class!!! There was a garage about 300m from the gym. Perfect.

My range has changed from 70 miles to 120 miles and similar on many occasions. If I'm driving round towns and cities its low but once on a motorway and cruising around 60 it jumps up. I think the range depends on driving styles and adapts as your average mpg changes on the MFD.

It does. It assumes you are going to carry on driving around town doing 25mpg, but once you've down a few economical miles, it ups the range assuming that you will carry on driving that way.

I ignore the range prediction and just reset my trip 2 every fill up. I know I'm going to get 530 miles on a tankful so just go by that.

I like having a fuel guage, and I use it to make sure that I've got enough fuel, and some extra, for my journey.
I like to know that if I don't get to my destination it won't be my fault.
I also don't much like the idea of being hit from behind by a HGV while I'm parked up on what used to be the hard shoulder of the motorway.

I dont know if its actually a problem but I dont like the thought of my nice shiney T6 supping dregs... and theres the thing about < 1/4 tank preventing regens, so I never let it to go anywhere near empty
afro.gif
... and I can use the Webasto anytime without worry...
@andys The bike I have now is the first time I've ever had (since age 16) a fuel guage on a bike!

I dont know if its actually a problem but I dont like the thought of my nice shiney T6 supping dregs... and theres the thing about < 1/4 tank preventing regens, so I never let it to go anywhere near empty
afro.gif
... and I can use the Webasto anytime without worry...
@andys The bike I have now is the first time I've ever had (since age 16) a fuel guage on a bike!
Oh on a bike yes, but then we had reserve... unless you ever forgot to switch it back to main when you filled up :whistle:

Back